Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Poeta vs Askren

I brought it up so I'll go ahead and find it for you. It wont be right now though. Will that change your mind or should I not bother wasting my time? I already know the entire history without needing any sources so I hate to do this if it wont serve the purpose intended.

FIne, White had no effect. I don't really care. Again, the only reason I brought him up was to use him as an example of a prick who is inextricably affiliated with a very successful athletic promotion, the UFC. Whether or not Disabato is a prick too, I don't know, he may very well be, but that does not mean his efforts absolutely must be bad for the sport.

That said, as earlier posters have mentioned, they need to do a better job of marketing their key matchups. It is absolutely unacceptable to have this board, which is the most widely read Internet site for wrestling, find out about the match because someone was randomly nice enough to link to it.

I brought it up so I'll go ahead and find it for you. It wont be right now though. Will that change your mind or should I not bother wasting my time? I already know the entire history without needing any sources so I hate to do this if it wont serve the purpose intended.

Do it, I love mma so I'm genuinely interested.

Do it, I love mma so I'm genuinely interested.

Will do, I'll have to hit some boards and dig it out of the archives. I see relying on google merely brings up current ultimate fighter stuff. Please be patient, however, running a pig farm takes a great deal of my times as well as technique sessions with my 5 boys and the youth club I coach. Then throw in an unrelenting intimacy drive of the new wife, 20 years my junior, and that leaves little time for themat.com research. I'll get on it though, I promise.

FIne, White had no effect. I don't really care. Again, the only reason I brought him up was to use him as an example of a prick who is inextricably affiliated with a very successful athletic promotion, the UFC. Whether or not Disabato is a prick too, I don't know, he may very well be, but that does not mean his efforts absolutely must be bad for the sport.

That said, as earlier posters have mentioned, they need to do a better job of marketing their key matchups. It is absolutely unacceptable to have this board, which is the most widely read Internet site for wrestling, find out about the match because someone was randomly nice enough to link to it.

Buddy I was willing to let you go on the rest of your life believing what you wrote. LoL, you got no argument out of me. Back to the original point, yes I'd love to see Agon be a success and we all get these great match ups.

Wrestling doesn’t need Agon, just look at first2ten where they do something VERY similar and yet don’t have to act like ego maniacs. And there are god knows how many other MMA companies willing to sell tap out copy cat gear to high school wrestling teams.

MMA was literally DEAD when Dana and the Fertitas took over and brought it to where it is today. The sport had a tiny blood sport type following and was banned in many states. US senators (McCain) had wide support to kill the sport.

So not only is the UFC the only real game in town today for MMA fighters (i’ll add Bellator when they’re around longer and resist getting bought by UFC) but without them the sport would barely even exist.

Apples to screwdrivers comparison for why we should put up with or support Disabato.

I am 100% behind First2Ten also. I personally like their rules better and I have met several of the people involved with it and really like them. First class human beings.

The reason why I didn't mention them as directly comparable to Agon is that I am concerned about their viability. They do not seem as well-funded as Agon, now having thrown multiple events with star power in each one, appears to be.

But I would love for First2Ten to succeed, as I would love for Agon to succeed.

In my eyes Poeta goes down as the best to never win it all. His match with Gregor Gillespie in Las Vegas was one of the fastest and exciting matches i have ever seen.

I remember one time Illinois was wrestling Northwestern at a high school near my house and Poeta was warming up.....He hesitated and faked a shot so quickly that it actually caused me to flinch my legs and kick my neighbor in the stands haha.

Can we find that match with Gillespie anywhere?

In my eyes Poeta goes down as the best to never win it all. His match with Gregor Gillespie in Las Vegas was one of the fastest and exciting matches i have ever seen.

I remember one time Illinois was wrestling Northwestern at a high school near my house and Poeta was warming up.....He hesitated and faked a shot so quickly that it actually caused me to flinch my legs and kick my neighbor in the stands haha.

Can we find that match with Gillespie anywhere?

Mike Poeta in MMA soon? I think he would be amazing in MMA. There is only one wrestler I have ever seen that has more athletic ability than Poeta and he just happens to be arguably the best P4P wrestler in the world right now JB. I think with very little training Poeta he would crush people at 155.

Am I crazy or did this match look like it was at three-quarter speed, all with a the feel of two counselors from rival summer camps going at it with their camp kids cheering them on?

Also, I was not paying that close attention, but it looked to me like Poeta got most of the takedowns.

Mike Poeta in MMA soon? I think he would be amazing in MMA. There is only one wrestler I have ever seen that has more athletic ability than Poeta and he just happens to be arguably the best P4P wrestler in the world right now JB. I think with very little training Poeta he would crush people at 155.

I'd much rather see him at 154 lbs, the new freestyle weight class for non-Olympic years. I think he'd have a great shot at making the team.

Am I crazy or did this match look like it was at three-quarter speed, all with a the feel of two counselors from rival summer camps going at it with their camp kids cheering them on?

Also, I was not paying that close attention, but it looked to me like Poeta got most of the takedowns.

That's how Askren usually looks when he wrestles, IMO.

MMA was literally DEAD when Dana and the Fertitas took over and brought it to where it is today. The sport had a tiny blood sport type following and was banned in many states. US senators (McCain) had wide support to kill the sport.

Another misinformed. Guess you never heard of Pride FC

why do they keep wrestling outside of the circle

why do they say they packed it and sold it out when they have half the gym bleachers closed cutting the little gyms capacity in half https://twitter.com/NickFish26/status/4 ... 85/photo/1

does anyone else think poeta looks like the much better wrestler his takedowns are slick

have to say I see why mma doesn't want ben even this match was boring with his lack of wrestling on his feet it is clear these rules were designed for him bc poeta would have got the win if it was an old school referees decision

great to see ben having a good following from his local club but listening to a bunch of kids yell and having them running around would spoil the event for me there is a reason I don't go to youth tournaments anymore

Pride had nothing to do with the explosion in popularity of MMA. It was solely in JAPAN not the US and not all over the world like UFC is today. Fighting junkies watched Pride, not regular people.

And beyond that I don’t think Pride was ever going to stick around for the long haul or gain mass appeal. Pride had nothing to do with the explosion of MMA popularity in the western world and it was not doing all that great financially in its last few years anyhow.

Also since I talked about US Senators trying to kill the dying sport it stands to reason the fighting organization in Japan could have continued to operate… in Japan.

Pride had nothing to do with the explosion in popularity of MMA. It was solely in JAPAN not the US and not all over the world like UFC is today. Fighting junkies watched Pride, not regular people.

And beyond that I don’t think Pride was ever going to stick around for the long haul or gain mass appeal. Pride had nothing to do with the explosion of MMA popularity in the western world and it was not doing all that great financially in its last few years anyhow.

Also since I talked about US Senators trying to kill the dying sport it stands to reason the fighting organization in Japan could have continued to operate… in Japan.

I don't want to argue, it just seems you must not have known about Pride and their huge shows when you said "MMA was literally dead". UFC was literally dead but MMA was alive and well. MMA in the US was in a very difficult situation but in Japan and Brasil, (NHB) it was alive and well. The only reason I correct you is because it is important to remember that the UFC is not MMA, they are a promotion. MMA is the sport. You'd be surprised how many people don't know this.

You are correct, MMA is not and has never been limited to the US or the UFC (thank god). The situation was different in Japan where pro wrestling/fighting is very popular given their samurai history and in Brazil were BJJ was created.

But now borders don’t really matter as far as MMA goes. We have the Ultimate Fighter US, Brazil, China(?), UK, etc.