Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

"Growing the Sport"

What is the objective in mind when people say they want to "grow the sport?" I always hear about how we need more and more Division I Programs, but given that Division I is more for only the upper echelon or super-devoted, why don't we concentrate on any of the other Divisions? How much of an influence do Division II, III, the NAIA and NJCAA have on the overall "growth?" Of course, there's the WCWA and NWCA, as well.

I ask this because here at PSU on the Club team, we cannot compete this year because the NWCA and its complying costs are too high for us. Of course, I love what the NWCA is doing, in that it is funding many club programs nationwide that otherwise would be getting beat up pretty bad at D-I opens. Next year, it is to my understanding that any NWCA uniform must have a competition pattern similar to conference patterns. Does this attest to the "growth" of the sport?

^^I am unsure what your post means. Yes, there are Penn State Branches that compete in the NCWA. NCWA is a low cost way to wrestle post-high school. I like the NCWA very much and, hey, its membership has been growing and it could be the wave of the future.

Yes I’m confused dclark when you say NWCA do you mean NCWA?

Yeah, NCWA, typo. My bad!

By my post, I'm saying, it seems that people are too focused on growing the sport on the D-I level. Why not on other divisions as well?

Yes I’m confused dclark when you say NWCA do you mean NCWA?

Yeah, NCWA, typo. My bad!

By my post, I'm saying, it seems that people are too focused on growing the sport on the D-I level. Why not on other divisions as well?

I think a part of the problem is just how difficult the other divisions are to follow. Maybe I'm wrong there, but that's a part of the problem for me anyway. Websites for DII and DIII teams are often outdated with either incorrect information or incomplete information. NJCAA and NAIA information is virtually non-existent. Anytime I want information regarding NAIA results a google and/or yahoo search usually leads me nowhere and I have to get on here and ask to get the information I want.

Division I wrestling while still not covered enough for my taste is vastly covered in comparison to DII, DIII, NAIA and NJCAA. It's about the only television coverage that there is (although occasionally here in the State of Iowa IPTV will show the Iowa Conference DIII finals) and we have a lot of websites that give us a ton of information to help us follow our favorite DI teams and DI individuals.

I try and follow Division III wrestling as best I can, simply because there is such a large representation here in the State of Iowa, and I try and follow NAIA wrestling as much as I can too. Yet, I live in the community with the best NAIA wrestling team in the nation, and you wouldn't know that just be living here. To me that's sad, as Iowans are known for their love of wrestling, and while a lot could passionately tell you all there is to know about the Hawkeyes and the Cyclones, few if any know about the Vikings. I don't exclude myself from this list, because I'm included in it too.

I'll say that for attending competitions it helps that DI meets are on Friday Nights, Saturdays, Saturday Nights and Sundays as opposed to DIII and NAIA meets which usually run on Tuesday nights, Wednesday Nights and Thursday nights.

Definitely do see your point, JT. Do you think it's a problem of finances for the lack of exposure for the rest of the divisions? And I have noticed that dual meets tend to be during the week - is there a rule explaining that, or is it just how things have always been ran?

Definitely do see your point, JT. Do you think it's a problem of finances for the lack of exposure for the rest of the divisions? And I have noticed that dual meets tend to be during the week - is there a rule explaining that, or is it just how things have always been ran?

I don't know. I'm not sure. II do know that I have gone to some NAIA websites and their information is a year or sometimes two years old. I know that when I was in college, I went to an NAIA school and I had to talk with the wrestlers and the coaches to know how they did at most away tournaments, because there was no where else to find out the information.

As far as for why dual meets are ran throughout the week on dates and times that make it difficult to attend, I have no idea. It could very well be a part of the rules. I'm not sure.