Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

J'Den Cox

There were some here who after the Scuffle, and then again more recently, decided that Cox wasn't really a contender for the Championship this year.

I'm assuming a lot of people saw his match with Rutt last night. Did the match change anyone's mind about his prospects this year at NCAA's?

I was still considering him a title contender at that point with his loss to Gadson, but I think this match shows how he is still improving at a phenomenal rate. I was expecting a close match with Rutt, but it wasn't even a contest. Cox is going to be scary good when he peeks. I'm still surprised so few people gave him any attention until just recently (his recruiting seemed to get no attention what-so-ever even though he split matches with Kyle Snyder).

197 is WIDE OPEN and J'Den Cox most certainly is among the names of potential NCAA champions. Some may think it has narrowed down to Schiller and a few others, but I say anyone in the top 12 could win it. There's no one hand over heels above the rest. They're all matched fairly evenly on any given day. As Jason Bryant would say the weight class is rather balanced.

Look for the most low seeds and US guys to place @ 197.

I was still considering him a title contender at that point with his loss to Gadson, but I think this match shows how he is still improving at a phenomenal rate. I was expecting a close match with Rutt, but it wasn't even a contest. Cox is going to be scary good when he peeks. I'm still surprised so few people gave him any attention until just recently (his recruiting seemed to get no attention what-so-ever even though he split matches with Kyle Snyder).

Agree, Perry.

headshuck, I actually pickpocketed you for two tokens during one of our recent dust ups. :D But I just realized they are not my kind of tokens.

http://www.givecourage.net/girlfriend-t ... p-252.html

Schiller has dominated the field. To suggest he's in a pack of 12 is silly.

To suggest that Schiller has dominated the field when he hasn't met Rutt, Gonzalez, Perry, Cox, McIntosh or Heflin yet is pretty silly as well...

True. I should have simply said he's had a dominating season and earned his #1. But those are just rankings. He could take his lumps the remainder of the season. I shouldn't let Johnny bug me.

Schiller has dominated the field. To suggest he's in a pack of 12 is silly.

To suggest that Schiller has dominated the field when he hasn't met Rutt, Gonzalez, Perry, Cox, McIntosh or Heflin yet is pretty silly as well...

Longfellow, couldn't have said it better myself. Let's keep in mind that while Schiller is undefeated his wins over Gadson have been very close and his win over Meeks was in overtime. While it wouldn't bother me one iota to see Schiller win the NCAA Title, he by no means is a shoe in.

I saw Cox earlier and then again yesterday. I would say earlier while I was impressed, that Cox wouldn't have beaten Rutt. He is improving by leaps and bounds. And he still has lots of room for improvement. He has tremendous up side.imo

I saw Cox earlier and then again yesterday. I would say earlier while I was impressed, that Cox wouldn't have beaten Rutt. He is improving by leaps and bounds. And he still has lots of room for improvement. He has tremendous up side.imo

Totally agree. What is scary is that he can beat Rutt without much stress in the match all while hardly showing offensive polish.When he starts to get some good offense going he will be really difficult to handle, assuming he can stay at 197.

To me there is no guarantee Schiller will beat him until Schiller actually beats him. Schiller is still a great talent, but I actually think Cox is the physically most imposing guy at the weight.

EDIT: Take any of my predictions with a grain of salt. I thought Kilgore would beat Wright last year.

Mizzou will have a similar problem to Iowa's Clark and Gilman at 197 next year with Willie Miklus coming off of red shirt if Cox doesn't bump up to heavy. I believe the original plan was for Cox to RS this year to grow into heavy for a RS FR campaign next season, but decided he was ready to start as a true freshman. I've been watching Cox for a long time and he has always impressed me (he actually beat one of my wrestlers in the state finals his freshman year). Not the most polished wrestler just yet, but unbelievably athletic.

The most interesting thing for me to think about is, what if Cox had gone to Hwt. like he was slated to. How would he have looked against Coon? And what if he ends up at Hwt. in the next few years...that'll be exciting to see how he and Coon match up. Definitely something to look forward to if it happens!

Everyone keeps saying the "plan" was for him to fill into HWT. Just curious where that came from. We, on the message boards, speculated that w/ the addition of Miklus. However, I've never heard him say that, or anyone close to the program say that. I could be wrong, but perhaps he never wanted to put 40 lbs on his already freakishly athletic frame? He wrestled HWT in HS last year, walking around at 200-205. I doubt he's cutting much to make 197. He's only 6' tall....not sure how much fun it would be to go mess'ng around with guys like Coon, Telford, Nelson, etc who are all gargantuan.

I saw Cox wrestle at the Junior National Duals in OKC last year. After he beat Andrew Dixon soundly I started asking about him. Someone told me that he wouldn't cut to 197 and was going to redshirt this year, then wrestle 285 next year. Obviously that plan got changed.

I was sitting with a friend who was a long-time hs coach in CA. He told me he didn't think Cox could hang with Rutt as he saw both on the mat. I told him if I had to bet money, i'd bet on Cox because he is a superior athlete. My friend was impressed with his technique in addition to the strength and athleticism.

Right now I rank it Schiller, Gadson, Cox at 197. I think Cox can make the finals. The BIG will give us a better idea of how good Schiller is.

Everyone keeps saying the "plan" was for him to fill into HWT. Just curious where that came from. We, on the message boards, speculated that w/ the addition of Miklus. However, I've never heard him say that, or anyone close to the program say that. I could be wrong, but perhaps he never wanted to put 40 lbs on his already freakishly athletic frame? He wrestled HWT in HS last year, walking around at 200-205. I doubt he's cutting much to make 197. He's only 6' tall....not sure how much fun it would be to go mess'ng around with guys like Coon, Telford, Nelson, etc who are all gargantuan.

He's listed as a Hwt. on the roster. Plus I can't see that they'd waste a talent like Miklus, and I thought I saw that Miklus didn't make 184 at a tournament this season, so I'm assuming he can't go any lower.

I think seeds will be a big deal here , If today Schiller 1

Gadson 2 does cox go 3 or 4,

If 4 that's a big deal . Get to finals anything can happen

Rooting for Gadson like to see Cox 4 not semis.

This is interesting weight , Schiller favorite but hot hand

Can win this!

Also deep weight who wants Meeks round 16?

J'den has told me on several occasions that the plan was for him to go hwt entering his true freshman year. I told him I thought he would be a small hwt and 197# seemed to make more sense but at either weight, he would be successful. The coaches had a plan for him but obviously those plans have changed. J'den is a extremely rare talent and is fun to watch compete.

Yes, J'Den told me himself he was up to 230 when the decision was made for him to go this year at 197. His learning curve does seem rather steep, doesn't it? I'll bet he didn't have 15 min of riding time total his last 2 years of HS, yet he is already pretty tough on top. Rather remarkable.

J'Den is extremely good in top position which has helped him out this year. He has a very good swing single and double leg. What impressed me against Rutt is he shoots an outside single and then proceeds to lift Rutt in air with firemans carry position, freakish strength. He can definitely win it all but will have to put together a great tourney as I'm very impressed with Schiller. By the way what is the highest weight ever won by a true freshman? I am predicting in the future Cox beats Coon for NCAA Hwt title