Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Old faces at the Dave Schultz

I for one was really happy to see BJ Futrell back on the mat after his college career got cut short....also always nice seeing Franklin Gomez having success even if it isn't for the US ;) he just lost a tough one to Molinaro...Were there any surprises in the brackets this year...people out of retirement or names you don't see all the time at these tournys?

Man, it was crazy seeing Gomez (NCAA Champ at 133) and Molinaro (NCAA Champ at 149) in the same weight class.

Kind of like seeing JD Bergman (College 285) vs Chris Pendleton (College 174) last year? But the Molinaro-Gomez match was terribly boring thanks to the ref, who blew his whistle at least once a minute. Too many whistles, not enough shooting or scrambling or scoring opportunities created.

I was at the tournament on Friday with my 12 & 11 year old boys. We really enjoyed watching a great tournament. We watched the match with Emeev & I believe Futrell. The match ended with a tech fall for Emeev but he injured his neck & was taken from the tournament on a back board & stretcher. I came to the message board to see if there was any word on his condition. We prayed for him as he was laying on the mat. My boys were very impressed with Emeev's wrestling ability but also with his sportsmanship & demeanor. Several other observationsfrom the tournament are :

India is improving at an alarming rate - they have several physical specimens with good technique but crap those guts are beasts physically (maybe our guys need to eat more curry!).

Disappointing numbers of spectators - I cannot condemn here because as a former HS head coach - I couldn't make this tournament before this year either.

Coleman Scott severely tweaked his knee against Futrell & could have easily said no go to finish the match as he could barely walk. He continued & got beat - he couldn't produce any offense on one leg, but my boys loved the fact thAt he continued to battle despite the injury.

Many times a challenge brick is thrown, the head referee throws it back at the coach, kind of saying how dare you challenge my authority on the mat. This has been & still is an issue with freestyle refs & their seeming need to be jerks in matches. We laughed every time a coach grabbed a brick & tossed it right back at the ref, in one case the coach & rev threw it back & forth 3x. Brandon Slay threw it back out & yelled at the ref don't throw the brick back, I can challenge if I want to!

Lastly, the female ref was horrible & seemed to be going miles out of her way to try to establish her control over coaches. She.needs to find another way to help wrestling but not try to ref the men's matches.

Actually one more thing. Don't complain about of refs as a lot of the international refs are much much worse!

Emeev was injured vs Kevin Tao, when Tao hit what looked like a desperation cement mixer/gator roll toward the end of the 2nd pd. Emeev fought it off and earned 4pts to earn the tech, but was injured in the process. Hopefully the exit via backboard was just precautionary and he's OK...

I talked with Emeev after the tournament and he said he was fine and looked it. Was there supporting his teammates in the finals. He will be back soon. But you are correct he is a stud. As is bogomoev. To me Bogomoev most impressive wrestler at this tournament. Do not be surprised for him to have a breakout year.