Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

BTN Student U broadcasting

At least have the level of familiarity of the Northwestern announcers, which is probably a couple years of HS experience.

They clearly don't know a whole lot about NCAA wrestling, but do a good enough job for the casual fans out there.

I'd like to announce a gymnastic meet. She's got a hold of the sideways bar... wait, she lost her grip. Ok, she's got it again. She seems to like spinning around the sideways bar. Ok, she let go and landed a two-legger.

That made me laugh. I enjoy your humor.

I'd like to announce a gymnastic meet. She's got a hold of the sideways bar... wait, she lost her grip. Ok, she's got it again. She seems to like spinning around the sideways bar. Ok, she let go and landed a two-legger.

That made me laugh. I enjoy your humor.

That was pretty funny, headshuck.

Getting back to BTN, geez, they gotta do better. If we want to improve the sport, taking care of the little things would help. Last year's top nominee for the "I don't know what I'm talking about but still managed to get on the air" award went to Nebraska's "illegal fists to the back" commentary.

I don't know if I have heard anything quite that bad this year. but they have still had some guys that were clueless. When Penn State wrestled NW they had a former wrestler who was great, but they also had an older guy that didn't really know anything at all about the sport and it was quite obvious. Maybe insisting they get people with some knowle3dge would make sense.

I presume (may be wrong) that these are broadcast journalism majors, who anticipate careers in sports video journalism. (not print, because no one reads, nor radio--what's that?) So, if they are students maybe the same expectations apply as in the case of any academic endeavor.

Do your effing homework. Watch a few videos where professionals are at work. Learn the referees' signals and the rules for scoring. Learn the difference between a takedown, reversal and a simple return to the mat. And never use the words "play" and "game."

Those boys from that announce the Drexel matches are the best in the business! They know their stuff and are hilarious as well. They are part of the reason why Drexel won the Social Media Award last year… check out their stuff

They hosted the CAA tournament last year and did great

Eric Olanowski is the best I've heard. You may remember him from the match where Mega was disq for biting. That was a bogus call and Olanowski even explained that he just had a hard cross face across Mega's mouth.

Here's is EO doing voice impressions:

The guys who did the N'western vs Iowa dual this year were better than average. Not quite as good as the tOSU match I watched last year (I think one of their guys was a former D1 wrestler), but far better than every other match last season, one of which I have to mute the audio on.

They should pair a student with a wrestling alum. Spend time together a match or two prior to the broadcast.

That way they will know to call it "Head Gear" instead of "Helmets" as was the case in one dual I watched. :lol:

I'm all for giving the students an opportunity to announce these duals, but come on, you've got to find more experience.

IU/Minn? There have certainly been better (but, actually, even some have been worse).

You could here the PA guy saying "stalling Gregory" but the idiot announcer kept saying Walsh...wtf

I'm all for giving the students an opportunity to announce these duals, but come on, you've got to find more experience.

IU/Minn? There have certainly been better (but, actually, even some have been worse).

You could here the PA guy saying "stalling Gregory" but the idiot announcer kept saying Walsh...wtf

Yeah, but I put that in the minor mistakes file - even experienced announcers will slip like that, it is like a ref holding up two for red when we all see that it was green who got the takedown. They fix it shortly thereafter.

The stuff that is hard to listen to is some kid with a Communications major or Sports Journalism degree or something, but did not wrestle and hasn't bothered to learn anything about the sport, other than reading the point scoring off a list in front of him. Those are the ones we hear "Helmets", "Players", etc. from.

There is a guy and girl doing Indiana - MSU are right back in the "bad to awful" category. The wrestlers are wrestling three "rounds" in each match. They are surprised that no points are scored the minute someone gets in on a leg. And Oh God they just said there have been two "great games played" so far.

Worth checking out for comic relief. But really unacceptable - get a former HS wrestler in there.

No fist in the back at least. I kept hearing a one leg takedown, which may be correct, but someone needs to send them a glossary.i wrote one up years ago of about 70 terms i give to new wrestlers and parents.

My all time favorite i've heard a mom kept saying Goldie Hawn. After the match her son went over and said mom "its go behind".