Sign in to follow this  
closer617

alton is out shape?

The crazy part is Alton gassed that badly with a timeout for blood, a timeout to review a takedown at the end of the 1st period AND against another guy who is well known for gassing as well. Alton is SOOOO incredibly dangerous!!!! He simply is too far gone physically that there is NO WAY he could put together a good run over a grueling 3 day tourney like the NCAA tournament.

The crazy part is Alton gassed that badly with a timeout for blood, a timeout to review a takedown at the end of the 1st period AND against another guy who is well known for gassing as well. Alton is SOOOO incredibly dangerous!!!! He simply is too far gone physically that there is NO WAY he could put together a good run over a grueling 3 day tourney like the NCAA tournament.

That's what I was thinking. 5 minutes of timeout time, and still gassed. No chance. Sucks for us PSU fans!

Out of shape clearly is not the issue.

His gas tank - which was serviceable as a freshman at 41 - has gotten progressively worse over the last 3 years. Not a problem for his twin at 57.

Either he has gotten too big for 49 or is not cutting properly. The talent is undeniable (see his 1st periods) but he just may not have a weight class right now.

Kind of like the Clark/Iowa situation early on, but way worse. It looks like Clark may be on his way to rectifying his issue, but I don't see that coming for Alton.

I'll bet that I wasn't the only one that thought the 8-2 lead after one would not hold up.

Isn't the well known gameplan v Alton to survive the first period barrage, then beat him in the 2nd and 3rd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His gas tank - which was serviceable as a freshman at 41 - has gotten progressively worse over the last 3 years. Not a problem for his twin at 57.

Either he has gotten too big for 49 or is not cutting properly. The talent is undeniable (see his 1st periods) but he just may not have a weight class right now.

Kind of like the Clark/Iowa situation early on, but way worse. It looks like Clark may be on his way to rectifying his issue, but I don't see that coming for Alton.

I am always amazed that sickness is never suggested when someone wrestles poorly, I mean how common is a cold or the flu? White blood cells are produced to fight the bug, instead of red blood cells to carry oxygen. It's like nobody has wrestled while being under the weather. I once wrestled a match (while congested) and was ahead after first period, 12-0. Second period score was 12-6, third period ended at 12-12...overtime I lost 12-1. It is a common enough reason for a loss. Grajales may have something more chronic however.

the reason altons gas tank has gotten worse over the past 3 years is the parties have got better... seriously its not sickness at or the flu its the damage of alcohol. We know they have a history of partying, and I have friends in multiple frats (one of the wildest greek lifes in college), who have said the altons are know strangers to the scene

Seriously doubt he was sick. Cael has protected him with kid gloves to this point. Don't think he would tell him to suck it up and forget about being sick at this point. Especially with the depth PSU has at this weight, i just don't see it. I'm not an insider though.

I am always amazed that sickness is never suggested when someone wrestles poorly, I mean how common is a cold or the flu? White blood cells are produced to fight the bug, instead of red blood cells to carry oxygen. It's like nobody has wrestled while being under the weather. I once wrestled a match (while congested) and was ahead after first period, 12-0. Second period score was 12-6, third period ended at 12-12...overtime I lost 12-1. It is a common enough reason for a loss. Grajales may have something more chronic however.

I think sickness is almost always the first excuse, er, reason, provided for a "gassing."

I think sickness is almost always the first excuse, er, reason, provided for a "gassing."

Problem is, I am not aware of an illness that lasts for 2 years that would allow you to still wrestle in DI.....

I'll bet that I wasn't the only one that thought the 8-2 lead after one would not hold up.

Isn't the well known gameplan v Alton to survive the first period barrage, then beat him in the 2nd and 3rd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First indication was in Jan. 2011 when Alton wrestled Montell Marion, first dual for Marion after his suspension. An early throw and 5-point move and near pin by Alton, and that was it. By the third period Alton was done, Marion took him down repeatedly and the final was 11-9, Marion.

Hate to bring up a sad story, but Adam Frey didn't realize there was a medical condition behind his performance. Sounds like something is not right.

Yeah, all kidding aside, there is definitely something "wrong" with Alton. Whether it is a severe weight cut ( like Joey Slaton a few years ago against Iowa State) or something more sinister. I hope for his sake it is merely a weight issue.

Go back and read Alton topics for the past couple years and you only have one conclusion. The kid has never been in good enough condition to wrestle three periods without gassing.

Blame anything you want but if he doesn't get a pin in the first period he is in trouble. Can still beat a lot of guys because he is good but if pushed he runs out of gas big time.

This is just my lousy opinion and thoughts, I do not want to sound mean or hurt anyone's feelings. I have two young sons that wrestle and I know this is a tough sport that takes a ton of dedication to make it where Andrew is. I only really started following college wrestling when the Alton's signed on to PSU, I was just a PA wrestling fan for the most part. I loved watching him in HS and how he just handled everyone he wrestled, in fact he was so strong and had very good stamina back then.

-I thought he had decent stamina his TF year at PSU, except the Marion match where he fell apart late in the 3rd period.

-Last year he wrestled with a torn labrum, I do not know how much it hindered his training to get in wrestling shape? Maybe he could have supplemented it with many other cardio equipment or other ways to help his stamina. Kind of like Burroughs did while he had a broken ankle/foot like a month from 2013 worlds. JB wanted to compete so bad that him and his team had him to massive amounts of cardio which did not use his foot ankle.

-So many of these elite division one wrestlers are training over the summer and competing, Andrew is in a sling just sitting around doing nothing. So when he finally starts training, not sure exact date, he is way way behind schedule. And right now it is obvious he is not ready physically.

-I remember back in his TF year Cael saying Andrew had a problem with getting himself so worked up before matches, like the Marion match, he just mentally can not stay relaxed and he just works himself up too much and tires even though he is in shape. Tonight Alton is still not in wrestling shape, and mentally he was broken when Grajales was putting pressure on him late in the match. Plus Alton seems to blow his wad early with big moves.

-Alton went the distance at those opens a few times, but against much lesser competition and he could wrestle at his pace. So it was much easier on him mentally and physically then. The Purdue match he totally gassed in the third period once his tank was on empty. And when he gasses he can not hide it, it is like his body can not move and his opponents know it. Like the Michigan State match friday he fell apart in the last period, but he held on to win.

-Now with the Grajales match. Alton KNOWS he is not ready but he still went out blazing in that first period and totally dominated Erik.The 2nd period it all started to unravel as Alton started to tire. I think Alton tries to hard on all these big moves and does not know how to relax, he is too tight and that does not help his stamina. Even with those long breaks Alton still fell apart in the 3rd period. He was so tired he could barely move when Erik wanted to let him up, and when he tried to throw him that last time he just gave up on his back and got pinned.

-I was very upset watching that match. But there are many positives too. PSU needs to sit him until he is 100% ready with his body and mind. Maybe he needs to talk to a sports psychologist and iron some things out? Maybe he is burnt out and just maybe his desire to train is just not there anymore? Maybe he lacks the passion of say a Megaludis or Conoway who love to train? I do not know? Maybe he is working his butt off, it is just he needs a few more weeks to get in better shape? This match was just too much too soon? Is eating properly and cutting weight the right way? Is he parting too much? Hey he wrestled a top 5 guy and gave it his all and still almost won.

-I still think he can get in better shape by BIG 10's to represent PSU at 149. Will he do it is another story. Will he make the commitment and does he have enough time? I sure hope so. I hope he is okay and this motivates him and he comes back stronger than ever, and shuts a lot of people up. I am sure PSU will do the right thing and look out for Alton and determine who to wrestle at 149 against Minnesota and Okie State. Personally i would put out Beitz or English for those 2 matches, AND depending how he is doing at practice have him come out against Clarion.

- What I love about PSU so much is, I can see all of his teammates getting behind Alton and supporting him and trying to help him out. And even though you went out on your back and fell apart in that 3rd period, you did not hold back and made one heck of an exciting match until you could do no more for us all to watch. As a huge fan, I wish you the best and still believe you can do it.

The difference with Dylan is that he doesn't do a whole lot unless the opportunity is perfect or he has to. Andrew is going to make something happen one way or the other.

That style for 7 minutes doesn't seem to fit his physiology/training prep/weight cut/lifestyle/whatever.

He should try to be more economic like his brother until one of the above reasons/excuses is corrected.

A while back I asked the same thing. When we see the difference between guys and their "Gas Tank". How do some guys (Metcalf) have a Gas tank the just goes, and goes, and goes, and goes ... And a guy like Alton who clearly hits a WALL at some point and has no O2 to finish out the match at 100%. I really can't believe that the guy can't get into 100% wrestling "shape" in the PSU room. There must be something not right. And I can't believe "desire" or work ethic is the culprit. There is either an Issue of Weight Class, and/or a physical issue.

Some one mentioned this in another post: whereby he get's so worked up for the match, and burns O2 before he even get's on the mat. Maybe ... And can a guy have a body, that just doesn't "work right" when it comes to O2 production/consumption in a physiological sense.

Even with his rehab/injury .. it doesn't make logical sense AT ALL, that he is not working out enuf to get into "D1 wrestling shape" ...

Something is not right. IMO

We had a kid on our HS team who was pretty good, yet he could never get to the point where he could finish a Whole High School match. Either he pinned, or got pinned (after gassing) ... And he worked out just like the rest of us.

A while back I asked the same thing. When we see the difference between guys and their "Gas Tank". How do some guys (Metcalf) have a Gas tank the just goes, and goes, and goes, and goes ... And a guy like Alton who clearly hits a WALL at some point and has no O2 to finish out the match at 100%. I really can't believe that the guy can't get into 100% wrestling "shape" in the PSU room. There must be something not right. And I can't believe "desire" or work ethic is the culprit. There is either an Issue of Weight Class, and/or a physical issue.

Some one mentioned this in another post: whereby he get's so worked up for the match, and burns O2 before he even get's on the mat. Maybe ... And can a guy have a body, that just doesn't "work right" when it comes to O2 production/consumption in a physiological sense.

Even with his rehab/injury .. it doesn't make logical sense AT ALL, that he is not working out enuf to get into "D1 wrestling shape" ...

Something is not right. IMO

We had a kid on our HS team who was pretty good, yet he could never get to the point where he could finish a Whole High School match. Either he pinned, or got pinned (after gassing) ... And he worked out just like the rest of us.

I think you may be on to something, about his mental state contributing to his wind. Or, maybe he has asthma or something, because it just doesn't seem right. I re-watched the match last night, and he is absolutely beast mode for the first 3 1/2 minutes...and he doesn't look winded. Of course the 5 minute break to determine the score didn't hurt either. Then in the 2nd, Grajales starts to take shots to the legs...without even really setting them up. Andrew is extremely quick with really strong hips, so it just seems weird that his sprawl just goes away and Grajales can get to his legs so easy. He gets away with a funky counter in the 3rd, and I thought that would seal the match for him but he is absolutely spent by that point.

I really feel for the kid, because his god given talents are tremendous and he has always been one of my favorite kids to watch. He must realize he is under a microscope wrestling for the # 1 team in the country. You almost wonder if he is just mentally done with the sport? He has not progressed in the top position either, and that is really the difference between Penn State's real studs and Andrew. Top wrestling to me has always been about effort and attitude.

The ref in this match was horrible. The escape-TD confusion was never clearly explained. Additionally, Alton put Grajales on his back in the 3rd and held him there for several seconds but no backs were given becuase of potentially dangerou? Either the potentially dangerous is called immediately or the backs should have been counted. I don't think it changed the outcome, but the ref was struggling.