Sign in to follow this  
closer617

alton is out shape?

I think the most difficult thing to watch was when Grajales was letting him up to give the 1 escape and get after a takedown that A. Alton just sat there on all fours and didn't attempt to get up and turn and face. To be tired/gassed enough to not even move with your head down as a D1 wrestler, that has to be a tough one to swallow. If you were Cael and you showed A. Alton this match in replay as you sat there with him, he would likely have his head down embarrassed.

I to think there has to be something more to this story of gassing in matches.

Hate to bring up a sad story, but Adam Frey didn't realize there was a medical condition behind his performance. Sounds like something is not right.

Headshuck, I was thinking the same thing. For those who never saw him wrestle - Adam would also start out like a house on fire, looking like he would tech his opponent easily - but then just hit the wall sometime in the middle of the second period. I remember thinking at the time, he just didn't wrestle like a guy who EXPECTED to run out of gas.

Well worth remembering this, especially before passing judgement while sitting behind our keyboards! :|

Hate to bring up a sad story, but Adam Frey didn't realize there was a medical condition behind his performance. Sounds like something is not right.

Headshuck, I was thinking the same thing. For those who never saw him wrestle - Adam would also start out like a house on fire, looking like he would tech his opponent easily - but then just hit the wall sometime in the middle of the second period. I remember thinking at the time, he just didn't wrestle like a guy who EXPECTED to run out of gas.

Well worth remembering this, especially before passing judgement while sitting behind our keyboards! :|

++++++++++++++

The difference with Dylan is that he doesn't do a whole lot unless the opportunity is perfect or he has to. Andrew is going to make something happen one way or the other.

That style for 7 minutes doesn't seem to fit his physiology/training prep/weight cut/lifestyle/whatever.

He should try to be more economic like his brother until one of the above reasons/excuses is corrected.

I'm with you on this. I would also say that the positive of this match is he was handling the #7 kid in the country before he ran out of gas.

Yes, some kids burn up a lot of O2 in the first period because of anxiety. I've seen it and in fact my oldest son had this problem some time ago - led to extreme gassing in the third.

Yes, some kids party too much and it affects their condition. Although I know that they are many high level D1 wrestlers in all of the usual college towns that are known to throw back a few - without a noticeable affect on their conditioning.

Yes, Alton could have a serious underlying medical condition that is causing this.

But, IMO, the most obvious reason for this conditioning issue is WEIGHT. It just makes too much sense. Here is a kid who was slated to wrestle 149 three years ago on his way to 157, but instead cut to 141 when it was determined that his IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER could not make the cut. This was determined after Dylan had an epic gas during the PSU wrestle offs that year. The same Dylan who doesn't seem to have any gas tank issues while competing at 157. The same Dylan who has finished 3rd, R12 (with a brutal consolation draw) and is undefeated this year. And BTW the same Dylan who seems to be mentioned in all the disparaging remarks that people make about the Alton's proclivity to party (which is probably greatly exaggerated).

But we will continue to ignore the obvious because this is a wrestling board and making the weight is just a matter of mental toughness. If the kid would just forgo red meat, alcohol, sex and stop studying so much when he should be waking up to work out again when the Russians are doing it 12 time zones away, he would have no problems with the weight.

I'm in the physiology/mental camp.... everybody's lung capacity/air intake system is different as well as the ability to convert oxygen at certain rates. We've probably all seen wrestlers or teammates that could go forever that didn't outwork the rest of the room. That said, if a wrestler has started to question his ability to comepete late in matches, then it becomes a self-fulfilling situation. Alton is one of the most exciting guys in the country to watch and part of that is the thought that he better stick 'em early cause the tank runs dry late!

You all are so wrong, trust me I am in college have friends in Penn st in some of the wildest frats in the country. Its partying that has gotten the best of Andrew. they go through the same workouts as everyone else on the team, but they additional keg stands afterwards.

I can't remember the last Andrew Alton match that went two or more periods that did not involve an Andrew Alton nosebleed. This was happening even during his freshman year. Not a doc so have no idea if or what this means, just making an observation.

You all are so wrong, trust me I am in college have friends in Penn st in some of the wildest frats in the country. Its partying that has gotten the best of Andrew. they go through the same workouts as everyone else on the team, but they additional keg stands afterwards.

Yes, I have a friend who has a friend who has a friend...

I'm sure the Altons like to party, but in general, I'd suspect they have lots of company in that when you peruse any previous All American list. In all D1 college towns.

I can't remember the last Andrew Alton match that went two or more periods that did not involve an Andrew Alton nosebleed. This was happening even during his freshman year. Not a doc so have no idea if or what this means, just making an observation.

Probably just means he has spider veins in his nose. I used to get nose bleeds every single match until I had my nose cauterized

I hadn't seen anything quite like what I saw with AA against Grajales on Sunday since AA crashed and burned after a big lead with Sueflohn last season, and three seasons ago when AA crashed and burned after a five point lead against Montel Marion when AA was a true freshman. Apparently this "out of shape" thing is nothing new and doesn't seem to be anything that will change anytime soon.

After dominating and getting almost every break ending the first period ahead 8-2 I thought the biggest break for AA was the 5 minute rest he got with the video review. He looked fresh heading into the second period and despite a not so unusually aggressive pace AA simply collapsed with embarrassing fashion. It's become so common that I told a friend who doesn't know that much about wrestling near the end of the first period that the 8-2 lead won't be enough, that he'll crash and burn in the third, and of course AA did just that.

Probably just means he has spider veins in his nose. I used to get nose bleeds every single match until I had my nose cauterized

Sueflohn has nosebleeds all the time too....

I've heard that nosebleeds are a result of excessive weight cutting (not sure why), but it's what I've heard. I cut a lot of weight and yes, was prone to nosebleeds and also got the cauterization to reduce the problem. Both Altons don't look quite like they are cutting a lot of weight when you look at the body type, but I heard Dylan mention that one of the benefits of a Friday match preceding a Sunday match is weight control, as if to say Dylan is cutting weight to make 157. His twin, Andrew, may be making the ultimate sacrifice cutting to 149 but he just doesn't look like he is. He had major trouble cutting to 141 his Freshman season. If weight management is the cause for his stamina / conditioning problem than one can hope that he will get his weight management under control between now and B1Gs and/or NCAAs. If Andrew can wrestle in the 3rd period like he does in the 1st he can beat just about anyone at 149. The potential problem is that his lack of stamina due to weight cutting, or poor cardio/conditioning can result in injuries.

I've heard that nosebleeds are a result of excessive weight cutting (not sure why), but it's what I've heard. I cut a lot of weight and yes, was prone to nosebleeds and also got the cauterization to reduce the problem. Both Altons don't look quite like they are cutting a lot of weight when you look at the body type, but I heard Dylan mention that one of the benefits of a Friday match preceding a Sunday match is weight control, as if to say Dylan is cutting weight to make 157. His twin, Andrew, may be making the ultimate sacrifice cutting to 149 but he just doesn't look like he is. He had major trouble cutting to 141 his Freshman season. If weight management is the cause for his stamina / conditioning problem than one can hope that he will get his weight management under control between now and B1Gs and/or NCAAs. If Andrew can wrestle in the 3rd period like he does in the 1st he can beat just about anyone at 149. The potential problem is that his lack of stamina due to weight cutting, or poor cardio/conditioning can result in injuries.

“You can’t hold your mud… I love to see blood”. -- Brian Shute

In all seriousness though PSU simply can not afford to send AA out anymore can they? I give Beitz no shot either but there are simply too many guys who can beat Alton right? Either you're outclassed, poorly coached, or you beat AA. I think at this point I'd actually rather see AA over Beitz and I NEVER dreamed I'd say that. Saw that PSU poll that agreed as well.