Sign in to follow this  
Coach_Kalk

Unattached wrestlers

I thought I read on the forum here that unattached (redshirt) wrestlers are not allowed to travel with their team and must pay their own expenses and tournament fees.

If a student attends a college without wrestling, could they participate in open tournaments?

Chance wasn't the reason, but it was something that was brought up.

I believe one year at East Stroudsburg, the finals were filled with high school wrestlers. When teams/athletes spend money to get to opens, especially in Division I, they ended up getting opponents who don't count in any way, shape or form on their records. Any rostered athlete in college counts as a win or a loss regardless of Division. So while getting a D3 guy in your first round match at the ESU Open isn't going to help your RPI, it still counts on your record.

Liability issues aside, with matches meaning a lot with the qualifying system, it was probably the best move. Unfortunatley, it ended drawback was the influx of HS kids at opens basically closed the door for an event like The Midlands, which used to get a stud HS kid every now and then.

Basically the opens got exploited and the door came a crashin' shut. But Chance's entry as an 8th grader only compounded the issue.

So a HS grad can enter, but if they are not on a team roster the matches do not count for/against rostered athletes?

I had read that Ben Whitford did/does not enjoy school. I know he could never enter the NCAA's, but he could train and enter against the top D1 wrestlers at the opens.

No grade worries. Is the college weight certification as easy to bypass as in HS? He would not have to contend with that process either.

So a HS grad can enter, but if they are not on a team roster the matches do not count for/against rostered athletes?

I had read that Ben Whitford did/does not enjoy school. I know he could never enter the NCAA's, but he could train and enter against the top D1 wrestlers at the opens.

No grade worries. Is the college weight certification as easy to bypass as in HS? He would not have to contend with that process either.

That would be correct.

if it is a college tournament they should only let college wrestlers in it is stupid to have guys that aren't in college compete in college tournaments if you want to have an open then have an open but it shouldn't count as a college match just like the us open

More nanny stuff. Waa Waa Waa a HS kid at the Midlands or an Open WAAA WAA WAAA. If I remember right a couple of these HS kids did fairly well at some of these events.

I do not think its "nanny stuff". You qualify for nationals based on other D1 wrestlers you compete against. If you go to a tournament and wrestle 2 high school kids that is hurting your chances of qualifying. I would like to see some of the best high school kids compete in Midlands or other tournaments. With the system that is in place I do not want a wrestler not qualify because he missed out on matches because of high school wrestlers.

If the old system were in place we could have situations, like the Alton brothers and Austin Meys, where wrestlers show up to an open to test the waters after an injury and plan to default after only two matches but then end up wrestling two high school kids in their first two bouts.

I do not have any issue with the rule. It is designed to protect college wrestling more than it is to harm elite high school wrestlers.

huh? You don’t want them to compete against college kids but you want them to compete against college kids if it’s at Midlands or “other” tournaments.

Got it.

I say let the kids wrestle.

I should have stated my point better. I would like to see High School wrestlers compete in tournaments but not under the current qualifying system.

Some folks have a hard time understanding this isn't the 70s and 80s anymore.

If a high school kid wants to wrestle college-aged competition, there's things called FILA Juniors or offseason types of events. Do we see high school kids in other sports compete against collegians DURING their competitive season? A phenom HS tennis player isn't entering an NCAA tennis event, they're entering USTA events. Comparable to entering USAW events.

It's not the fact the HS kids are doing well, but part of the fact here were too many HS kids entering. Instead of it being a privilege to get an invite to the Midlands, some marginally good HS kids were entering opens.

Great, kids want to get competition and test themselves. They have options, but college wrestling season isn't the place for it, IMO.