Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Observation about Eric Grajales

He's wrestling like a freshman in the sense that he just goes for it and seems to have a nothing to lose attitude. While a lot of wrestlers mold into conservative defense machines by the time they are seniors, I'd say Grajales is wrestling more open and aggressive this year than he ever has. He's taking risk, that sometimes pay off dramatically and other times cost him.

Maybe his thinking is just go for it and if it happens, then he's a somebody. If it doesn't, then he hasn't lost anything because so far in his collegiate career he has yet to.

People give him a lot of hell for his conditioning, but look at how often he is trying to score throughout his matches. Unlike some other wrestlers, he conserves nothing and leaves it all out on the mat. Look at any of his filmed matches, 1st and 2nd periods he'll continuously be on the offensive until he scores points. He wears himself out by doing this and it's generally why he's so tired in the 3rd.

I've never seen a wrestler that was more of a risk taker and more offensive as a senior than what he was as a freshmen, but Grajales seems to be.

Anyone else notice this?

Not as a senior, but Taylor Walsh seems to have taken that attitude, maybe not with the same talent as the others, but it sure is fun to watch and makes you want them to have success.

I agree. I love watching Walsh wrestle and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if his lightning quick headlock was the talk of the BIG 10's and/or NCAA's in route to a huge upset. He seems to be intent on pinning everyone and while David Taylor is going for his third Gorriaran award this season, Walsh could give him a run for his money.

It's funny to me that this is about the third or fourth wrestler in recent years that Indiana has had that is a master at the headlock. Kurt Kinser, Trevor Perry and Marc Bennett all had mean headlocks that won them a lot of matches and Walsh continues the tradition.

Probably because he's a RS Senior and this is his last chance to AA. He truly is wrestling like he has nothing to lose because really, he doesn't have anything to lose. His goal coming out of HS was to be "at least a 1x NCAA champ"...this is his last chance.

Probably because he's a RS Senior and this is his last chance to AA. He truly is wrestling like he has nothing to lose because really, he doesn't have anything to lose. His goal coming out of HS was to be "at least a 1x NCAA champ"...this is his last chance.

I read an article the other day from 2009 that talked about both Grajales and David Taylor coming out of HS and that they were the definitive #1 and #2 recruits. It's amazing to see the difference in success that each have had at the end of their collegiate careers, and kind of makes you wonder...had Grajales chosen to attend Cornell (the PSU killer), Iowa (Brands) or Oklahoma State (Smith), would he have the same success that Taylor has had? Or had the roles been reversed and Grajales gone with Cael and Taylor gone to Michigan, do they still have the same results? Or did Grajales peak in HS and Taylor just had that much more upside coming out of HS than Grajales? Here's a link to the article.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/5153

It's interesting to think about and a good discussion topic.

Way too much speculation and subjectivity to get anything more than an opinion. As for Grajales I wish others would wrestle this way. Instead what we get a lot is that they realize it's their last opportunity and they close up.

McFarland has been quoted several times that Grajales's issues aren't how he wrestles. His issues are with how he incorporates(or doesn't) wrestling into his life on a 24/7 basis. This doesn't mean his sole focus needs to be on wrestling every minute. It means he needs to calculate every decision he makes on how it will AFFECT his wrestling. For instance, his diet has been one of McFarland's major points of contention. Hopefully, with this being his last year, he may be more dedicated.

To be the best TALENT is simply NOT enough. Dedication and Preparation are just as important, if not more so, at the DI level. The talent difference is minimal at the DI level. However, if you can put the 3 together THAT is where you can create the gaps that wrestlers like Sanderson, Gable, Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, Ruth etc. have/had created.

I wish Grajales luck and hope he can finish his last season off in a Sponseller type fashion.

McFarland has been quoted several times that Grajales's issues aren't how he wrestles. His issues are with how he incorporates(or doesn't) wrestling into his life on a 24/7 basis. This doesn't mean his sole focus needs to be on wrestling every minute. It means he needs to calculate every decision he makes on how it will AFFECT his wrestling. For instance, his diet has been one of McFarland's major points of contention. Hopefully, with this being his last year, he may be more dedicated.

To be the best TALENT is simply NOT enough. Dedication and Preparation are just as important, if not more so, at the DI level. The talent difference is minimal at the DI level. However, if you can put the 3 together THAT is where you can create the gaps that wrestlers like Sanderson, Gable, Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, Ruth etc. have/had created.

I wish Grajales luck and hope he can finish his last season off in a Sponseller type fashion.

Ruth doesn't have that. He has no more dedication and preparation than does anyone else. He just happens to have that much more talent and natural ability. Not a knock on the guy, but lets not act like he's 100% committed to wrestling when the facts clearly point otherwise. He's done somethings and probably continues to do others that fellow wrestlers wouldn't get away with because they don't have what he has. His natural level of talent and his given ability are just that much ahead of most everyone else's.

As for Grajales having a similar ending to his career that Sponseller did, I most certainly see that happening. I still say that he has to survive the first two rounds of nationals though. He can get beat in the QF's and then win the R12 match to AA. I don't see him coming back through the wrestlebacks from a 1st or 2nd round loss and AA'ing though. He could surprise me though.

As far

Reminiscent of Gable's advice/instruction, which went something like: "To enjoy your undergraduate years at Iowa, you may choose to focus on wrestling, academics or social life.....pick TWO!" Eric is one of those multi-talented, multi-dimensional young men who will never regret eschewing exposure to such limitations! Great for his family, friends and all fans of the sport to see him once again focus on wrestling! His smile says it all.

Ruth doesn't have that. He has no more dedication and preparation than does anyone else. He just happens to have that much more talent and natural ability. Not a knock on the guy, but lets not act like he's 100% committed to wrestling when the facts clearly point otherwise. He's done somethings and probably continues to do others that fellow wrestlers wouldn't get away with because they don't have what he has. His natural level of talent and his given ability are just that much ahead of most everyone else's.

As for Grajales having a similar ending to his career that Sponseller did, I most certainly see that happening. I still say that he has to survive the first two rounds of nationals though. He can get beat in the QF's and then win the R12 match to AA. I don't see him coming back through the wrestlebacks from a 1st or 2nd round loss and AA'ing though. He could surprise me though.

As far

You are basing your assessment of Ruth off of what facts? Because he drinks alcohol? Does that mean he doesn't train near perfectly? He sure never seems winded to me. Does that mean he doesn't take care of his body? I am sorry but I guarantee you his dedication and preparation are at a SUPER high level.

Remember, I never said ANYWHERE that the dedication and preparation need to be 100%. 100% is NOT attainable. His natural ability may let him get away with a few things others would not. However, if he flat out disregarded dedication or preparation he wouldn't be more than a shadow of what he is now.

As far

You are basing your assessment of Ruth off of what facts? Because he drinks alcohol? Does that mean he doesn't train near perfectly? He sure never seems winded to me. Does that mean he doesn't take care of his body? I am sorry but I guarantee you his dedication and preparation are at a SUPER high level.

Remember, I never said ANYWHERE that the dedication and preparation need to be 100%. 100% is NOT attainable. His natural ability may let him get away with a few things others would not. However, if he flat out disregarded dedication or preparation he wouldn't be more than a shadow of what he is now.

How would you compare Ruth's dedication to Kyle Dake's dedication?

My observation is that Ruth had much more talent and athleticism coming out of HS than Dake did, which perhaps let him put forward less than Dake had to. Perhaps Ruth's natural ability allows him to put in less time and effort than others. But to imply that he is just as dedicated as someone like Dake is not accurate at all, at least IMO.

As far

Could you quantify exactly what Ed Ruth's "talent and natural ability" is?

MSU158 - That's not the argument though. You are saying that the reason why a guy like Ruth is more successful than more collegiate wrestlers is because he works harder, he is more dedicated and he does more of the things he is supposed to, than what they do. No, he doesn't. Of course he works hard and of course he is dedicated and he does things he's supposed to do. Yet, lets not act like other wrestlers who don't have near the success he does, aren't also doing the same, because they are. They just don't happen to have the level of natural talent and ability that he does.

Ruth's drinking in this case is pretty much irrelevant because whether he gets plastered or he doesn't, it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on his wrestling. It might another wrestler though. At the end of the day, yes Ruth works hard, but if you are accrediting why he is 3-1-1 going on another 1 and you conclude because he works harder than others and is more dedicated than they are, you're a nut. He's 3-1-1 going on another 1 because of his natural talent and ability that he possesses. Hard work helps to enhance that, but without it in the first place, he wouldn't be where he is or where he's going.

As far

Could you quantify exactly what Ed Ruth's "talent and natural ability" is?

If you want a realistic answer, get your head out of the clouds and read what I wrote in response to MSU158. If you think for a minute that the reason Ed Ruth will most likely win 184 this year is because he works harder than all other 184 lbsers you too are a nut. Ruth will most likely win because while everyone else is working just as hard (or in some cases harder than him) he happens to have a natural ability (moves, strengths, balance, flexibility, athleticism) that is above and beyond those he is competing against. If he too wasn't working hard, others might be able to catch him or even surpass him (could've been the case with Dean). Just as long as he's doing what he needs to do in the weight room and in the wrestling room, even those who are doing a ton outside of the wrestling room, aren't going to catch him. Inconvenient truth? Yeah, it is. It is how it is though. Hard work is an enhancement to talent, not a replacement.

Please re-read my original post. I never say any one facet is equal to the others. I simply say you need all 3. By having all 3 the best were able to separate themselves. I am not saying all the greats were the same at each aspect. I simply said all 3 MUST be incorporated to be great.

I find it quite amazing how often someone else TELLS another what he is saying. You may not be reading it the way I meant, but please don't TELL me what I am saying.

MSU158 - That's not the argument though. You are saying that the reason why a guy like Ruth is more successful than more collegiate wrestlers is because he works harder, he is more dedicated and he does more of the things he is supposed to, than what they do. No, he doesn't. Of course he works hard and of course he is dedicated and he does things he's supposed to do. Yet, lets not act like other wrestlers who don't have near the success he does, aren't also doing the same, because they are. They just don't happen to have the level of natural talent and ability that he does.

Ruth's drinking in this case is pretty much irrelevant because whether he gets plastered or he doesn't, it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on his wrestling. It might another wrestler though. At the end of the day, yes Ruth works hard, but if you are accrediting why he is 3-1-1 going on another 1 and you conclude because he works harder than others and is more dedicated than they are, you're a nut. He's 3-1-1 going on another 1 because of his natural talent and ability that he possesses. Hard work helps to enhance that, but without it in the first place, he wouldn't be where he is or where he's going.

+1

Please re-read my original post. I never say any one facet is equal to the others. I simply say you need all 3. By having all 3 the best were able to separate themselves. I am not saying all the greats were the same at each aspect. I simply said all 3 MUST be incorporated to be great.

I find it quite amazing how often someone else TELLS another what he is saying. You may not be reading it the way I meant, but please don't TELL me what I am saying.

Simple test here. By implying what a wrestler must have to be successful, "the 3" as you call them, you are therefore implying that because Ruth is successful he has "the 3". Which in turn would be implying that those who are not as successful as he is at the 184 lbs weight class do not have "the 3".

If I am wrong about this, please elaborate because that is what I am getting from what you said.

MSU158 - That's not the argument though. You are saying that the reason why a guy like Ruth is more successful than more collegiate wrestlers is because he works harder, he is more dedicated and he does more of the things he is supposed to, than what they do. No, he doesn't. Of course he works hard and of course he is dedicated and he does things he's supposed to do. Yet, lets not act like other wrestlers who don't have near the success he does, aren't also doing the same, because they are. They just don't happen to have the level of natural talent and ability that he does. Ruth's drinking in this case is pretty much irrelevant because whether he gets plastered or he doesn't, it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on his wrestling. It might another wrestler though. At the end of the day, yes Ruth works hard, but if you are accrediting why he is 3-1-1 going on another 1 and you conclude because he works harder than others and is more dedicated than they are, you're a nut. He's 3-1-1 going on another 1 because of his natural talent and ability that he possesses. Hard work helps to enhance that, but without it in the first place, he wouldn't be where he is or where he's going.

+1

Do you guys follow Ruth around the wrestling room? Do you guys follow him to his classes? Do you watch how long he sleeps? Do you calculate how much of that sleep is fitful rest? Do you watch what he eats? Because he is more like Marshawn Lynch while Taylor is more like Peyton Manning does not mean he doesn't train as hard, prepare his body and mind the right way, and bleed his sport.................

Simple test here. By implying what a wrestler must have to be successful, "the 3" as you call them, you are therefore implying that because Ruth is successful he has "the 3". Which in turn would be implying that those who are not as successful as he is at the 184 lbs weight class do not have "the 3".

If I am wrong about this, please elaborate because that is what I am getting from what you said.

I will write this in bullet points so it can be as clear as I can make it.

1.) I said talent ALONE is not enough to make a clear separation between you and your competition.

2.) I said the talent separation in DI is minimal(meaning comparative to the gaps at lower levels)

3.) I said dedication and preparation are as important, if not more so as talent to being THE BEST.

4.) I never quantified each in a graded basis.

5.) MY MEANING of this post is the best have a mixture of all 3 that makes them great.

6.) Most important and I am trying to be crystal clear. My example was used to say why Grajales hadn't quite AA'd yet. He is a great talent but he hasn't focused on the "other 2". I do not have an exact formula for what the other 2 would take for him to be a national champ. I am SIMPLY stating adding the other 2 in could have drastically improved his past finishes.

MSU158 - Ok, fine. Can't I ask you the same thing about anyone else at 184 lbs? Do you follow Berstein around the wrestling room? Do you follow him to his classes? Do you watch how long he sleeps? Do you calculate how much of that sleep is fitful rest? Do you watch what he eats? Do you know for a fact that Ed Ruth is doing all of these things BETTER than Ophir Berstein is? Or do you just speculate because at the end of the year Ruth's credentials will have far outweighed Berstein's?

Just because Berstein hasn't and probably wont' achieve the same success that Ed Ruth has and will, doesn't mean necessarily it's because Ruth is doing these things and Berstein isn't.

3) and 5) - then apply your analysis to my question of Ruth vs Berstein. By example of what you put forth in principle, we have to apply it to the actuality. If what you say is true, then you have to automatically assume that Ruth's mixture of "the 3" is better than Berstein's mixture of "the 3". If you conclude that I can't prove against that unless I were to follow Ruth around, then I conclude you can't prove for it unless you were to follow Berstein around.

It works both ways.

Your 6.) reiterates and helps me to make my case even stronger. You don't know that Ruth has done a better job than Grajales at those things. You only assume and speculate that he has, and use the old but worn out and frankly incorrect argument of "he who works harder always wins" to justify your point.

Maybe Grajales is doing a better job than Ruth is at those things. You don't know that.

MSU158 - Ok, fine. Can't I ask you the same thing about anyone else at 184 lbs? Do you follow Berstein around the wrestling room? Do you follow him to his classes? Do you watch how long he sleeps? Do you calculate how much of that sleep is fitful rest? Do you watch what he eats? Do you know for a fact that Ed Ruth is doing all of these things BETTER than Ophir Berstein is? Or do you just speculate because at the end of the year Ruth's credentials will have far outweighed Berstein's?

Just because Berstein hasn't and probably wont' achieve the same success that Ed Ruth has and will, doesn't mean necessarily it's because Ruth is doing these things and Berstein isn't.

3) and 5) - then apply your analysis to my question of Ruth vs Berstein. By example of what you put forth in principle, we have to apply it to the actuality. If what you say is true, then you have to automatically assume that Ruth's mixture of "the 3" is better than Berstein's mixture of "the 3". If you conclude that I can't prove against that unless I were to follow Ruth around, then I conclude you can't prove for it unless you were to follow Berstein around.

It works both ways.

Your 6.) reiterates and helps me to make my case even stronger. You don't know that Ruth has done a better job than Grajales at those things. You only assume and speculate that he has, and use the old but worn out and frankly incorrect argument of "he who works harder always wins" to justify your point.

Maybe Grajales is doing a better job than Ruth is at those things. You don't know that.

Actually I don't make ANY assumptions regarding Grajales. I am going by what his COACH has been QUOTED as saying. Everything I have heard or viewed in interviews from Sanderson or other PSU wrestlers about Ruth has been 100% positive. Nothing I have written is based on speculation.

I will try to make it a math problem for you.

Ruth has 98% talent, 88% dedication and 91% preparation. Add those together and he is at 277/300.

Bernstein has 88% talent, 92% dedication and 93% preparation. He is at 273/300.

The 2 numbers look close on paper but the 4 pts are really a huge gap.

Please note my math problem is SPECULATION as I was trying to show percentages and gave Bernstein the benefit of the doubt on the dedication and preparation.

Talent is a MAJOR factor. But for the 10th time talent ALONE is not enough. There is NO WAY Ruth goes 7 minutes of wrestling and nearly never even breathes hard without training as hard, if not harder, than nearly anyone.

It works both ways.

Actually I don't make ANY assumptions regarding Grajales. I am going by what his COACH has been QUOTED as saying. Everything I have heard or viewed in interviews from Sanderson or other PSU wrestlers about Ruth has been 100% positive. Nothing I have written is based on speculation.

I will try to make it a math problem for you.

Ruth has 98% talent, 88% dedication and 91% preparation. Add those together and he is at 277/300.

Bernstein has 88% talent, 92% dedication and 93% preparation. He is at 273/300.

The 2 numbers look close on paper but the 4 pts are really a huge gap.

Talent is a MAJOR factor. But for the 10th time talent ALONE is not enough. There is NO WAY Ruth goes 7 minutes of wrestling and nearly never even breathes hard without training as hard, if not harder, than nearly anyone.

I don't by that Ruth trains harder than everyone therefore he is more successful. I don't buy that probably because it isn't true.

LOL, I NEVER SAID he trains harder than everyone else. READ WHAT I WROTE. I said TALENT ALONE isn't enough. He needed to be dedicated and prepared AS WELL as have talent. His combination of the THREE is needed. He may not need as MUCH dedication and preparation as everyone else but he CAN NOT neglect the two.

I hope this makes more sense to you if it doesn't, I will simply agree to disagree.

LOL, I NEVER SAID he trains harder than everyone else. READ WHAT I WROTE. I said TALENT ALONE isn't enough. He needed to be dedicated and prepared AS WELL as have talent. His combination of the THREE is needed. He may not need as MUCH dedication and preparation as everyone else but he CAN NOT neglect the two.

I hope this makes more sense to you if it doesn't, I will simply agree to disagree.

I never said talent alone was enough either. I said that because Ruth has more talent and ability than other wrestlers, then an equal amount or even a lesser amount of dedication, work ethic and doing the right things, would still get him further in wrestling than it would those with lesser talent and ability who have the same dedication, work ethic and discipline to do the right things.

Now, are we on the same page?