Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Observation about Eric Grajales

LOL, I NEVER SAID he trains harder than everyone else. READ WHAT I WROTE. I said TALENT ALONE isn't enough. He needed to be dedicated and prepared AS WELL as have talent. His combination of the THREE is needed. He may not need as MUCH dedication and preparation as everyone else but he CAN NOT neglect the two.

I hope this makes more sense to you if it doesn't, I will simply agree to disagree.

I never said talent alone was enough either. I said that because Ruth has more talent and ability than other wrestlers, then an equal amount or even a lesser amount of dedication, work ethic and doing the right things, would still get him further in wrestling than it would those with lesser talent and ability who have the same dedication, work ethic and discipline to do the right things.

Now, are we on the same page?

Then if you read what I wrote, why did you argue with me the whole time??????????

LOL, I NEVER SAID he trains harder than everyone else. READ WHAT I WROTE. I said TALENT ALONE isn't enough. He needed to be dedicated and prepared AS WELL as have talent. His combination of the THREE is needed. He may not need as MUCH dedication and preparation as everyone else but he CAN NOT neglect the two.

I hope this makes more sense to you if it doesn't, I will simply agree to disagree.

I never said talent alone was enough either. I said that because Ruth has more talent and ability than other wrestlers, then an equal amount or even a lesser amount of dedication, work ethic and doing the right things, would still get him further in wrestling than it would those with lesser talent and ability who have the same dedication, work ethic and discipline to do the right things.

Now, are we on the same page?

Then if you read what I wrote, why did you argue with me the whole time??????????

I don't think I was the only one that read what you wrote a different way than what you intended it to mean.

I am sorry to have extended this post due to a misunderstanding.

To be clear, a lot of what I have read and viewed regarding Grajales has questioned his dedication off the mat. I simply stated as talented as he is, his talent hasn't been enough to put him over the top.

I used several names as examples of those who have separated themselves from their competition. I firmly believe they have incorporated not only talent but dedication and preparation into their wrestling to create a gap between them and their competition. The value of each may be a bit different for each wrestler but ALL 3 are needed to be great.

I am sorry to have extended this post due to a misunderstanding.

To be clear, a lot of what I have read and viewed regarding Grajales has questioned his dedication off the mat. I simply stated as talented as he is, his talent hasn't been enough to put him over the top.

I used several names as examples of those who have separated themselves from their competition. I firmly believe they have incorporated not only talent but dedication and preparation into their wrestling to create a gap between them and their competition. The value of each may be a bit different for each wrestler but ALL 3 are needed to be great.

I don't disagree with that, but still question the exac amount of each that a single wrestler may need or not need in comparison to others.

As for Grajales, he'll either make out like Sponseller and finally get his AA or he'll join the likes of Von Ohlen amongst the greatest to never AA. He's at least earned that.

MSU158 - That's not the argument though. You are saying that the reason why a guy like Ruth is more successful than more collegiate wrestlers is because he works harder, he is more dedicated and he does more of the things he is supposed to, than what they do. No, he doesn't.

At the end of the day, yes Ruth works hard, but if you are accrediting why he is 3-1-1 going on another 1 and you conclude because he works harder than others and is more dedicated than they are, you're a nut. He's 3-1-1 going on another 1 because of his natural talent and ability that he possesses. Hard work helps to enhance that, but without it in the first place, he wouldn't be where he is or where he's going.

Are you saying this is only true for Ruth? If you are saying natural talent is a big factor, I think everyone would agree. The thing is, what you say for Ruth is also true for Dake, Burroughs, Sanderson, Smith, Simons, Sanders, etc. All of those guys were very talented. Do you disagree with that?

I would like to see you support these statements? It seems that you have overly dichotomous thinking. Why can't Ruth be both extremely talented and an unusually hard worker?

Ruth doesn't have that.He has no more dedication and preparation than does anyone else.

He just happens to have that much more talent and natural ability.

Why did you only pick out Ruth? Msu158 mentioned 5 names. I'd like to hear why you say "Ruth doesn't have that".

Not a knock on the guy, but lets not act like he's 100% committed to wrestling when the facts clearly point otherwise.

What facts? The drinking incident? Ruth has made some poor choices with his free time off the mat. Every athlete I've ever seen over the years has free time. Just because Ed has made (a few?) poor choices using that free time doesn't mean he isn't just as committed to wrestling as many or most others.

MSU158 - That's not the argument though. You are saying that the reason why a guy like Ruth is more successful than more collegiate wrestlers is because he works harder, he is more dedicated and he does more of the things he is supposed to, than what they do. No, he doesn't.

At the end of the day, yes Ruth works hard, but if you are accrediting why he is 3-1-1 going on another 1 and you conclude because he works harder than others and is more dedicated than they are, you're a nut. He's 3-1-1 going on another 1 because of his natural talent and ability that he possesses. Hard work helps to enhance that, but without it in the first place, he wouldn't be where he is or where he's going.

Are you saying this is only true for Ruth? If you are saying natural talent is a big factor, I think everyone would agree. The thing is, what you say for Ruth is also true for Dake, Burroughs, Sanderson, Smith, Simons, Sanders, etc. All of those guys were very talented. Do you disagree with that?

I would like to see you support these statements? It seems that you have overly dichotomous thinking. Why can't Ruth be both extremely talented and an unusually hard worker?

MSU158 and I are now on the same page. If I thought you were actually trying to make a point, I'd put up some rhetoric and debate you. You however, just like to argue for the sake of arguing and nothing more. You're not worth my time, or anyone else's.

Do you guys follow Ruth around the wrestling room? Do you guys follow him to his classes? Do you watch how long he sleeps? Do you calculate how much of that sleep is fitful rest? Do you watch what he eats? Because he is more like Marshawn Lynch while Taylor is more like Peyton Manning does not mean he doesn't train as hard, prepare his body and mind the right way, and bleed his sport.................

Exactly. Look at the top 8 in the weight class, then compare how much time they put in practicing everyday with elite wrestlers, training and competing in the offseason with elite international wrestlers, and how their training is structured. Put those things into consideration and you have Ed Ruth training harder than almost anyone in his weight.

I find it funny that anyone can comment on how other out train Ruth when they dont take into consideration the training environment, have no first hand experience with an environment like that, and no first hand observation of anyone training in the weight class. Because a guy wins with less effort doesnt mean he trains with less effort.

Do you guys follow Ruth around the wrestling room? Do you guys follow him to his classes? Do you watch how long he sleeps? Do you calculate how much of that sleep is fitful rest? Do you watch what he eats? Because he is more like Marshawn Lynch while Taylor is more like Peyton Manning does not mean he doesn't train as hard, prepare his body and mind the right way, and bleed his sport.................

Exactly. Look at the top 8 in the weight class, then compare how much time they put in practicing everyday with elite wrestlers, training and competing in the offseason with elite international wrestlers, and how their training is structured. Put those things into consideration and you have Ed Ruth training harder than almost anyone in his weight.

I find it funny that anyone can comment on how other out train Ruth when they dont take into consideration the training environment, have no first hand experience with an environment like that, and no first hand observation of anyone training in the weight class. Because a guy wins with less effort doesnt mean he trains with less effort.

So if wrestle A and Wrestler B both work equally as hard and have pretty much everything on an equal playing card as far as the elements that you can control, and wrestler A is better than wrestler B in college, you would conclude that the answer would be that wrestler A, had to have worked harder, put in more time and been more dedicated than wrestler B.

Yet in international freestyle competition, wrestler A and wrestler B work equally as hard and have pretty much everything on an equal playing card as far as the elements that you can control, and wrestler B is better than wrestler A. You would then have to conclude that wrestler B works harder, puts in more time and is more dedicated than wrestler A.

Or Heaven forbid, it could be because both wrestler A and wrestler B both work extremely hard, and wrestler A was better at folkstyle while wrestler B was better at freestyle.

Then again, your right. The reason why Kyle Hutter never AA'd in college was probably because he didn't work hard enough and the reason why he is currently ranked 3rd in freestyle is because all of the guys that were better than him in college have apparently slacked off, and his hard work alone has gotten him ranked higher than them.

I will try to make it a math problem for you.

Ruth has 98% talent, 88% dedication and 91% preparation. Add those together and he is at 277/300.

Bernstein has 88% talent, 92% dedication and 93% preparation. He is at 273/300.

The 2 numbers look close on paper but the 4 pts are really a huge gap.

Talent is a MAJOR factor. But for the 10th time talent ALONE is not enough. There is NO WAY Ruth goes 7 minutes of wrestling and nearly never even breathes hard without training as hard, if not harder, than nearly anyone.

I love the numbers analogy here, because numbers don't lie, even if it is just hypothetical. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

MSU158 and I are now on the same page. If I thought you were actually trying to make a point, I'd put up some rhetoric and debate you. You however, just like to argue for the sake of arguing and nothing more. You're not worth my time, or anyone else's.

JT1, I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind your statements. You made claims, and I want to see if there's any evidence that you have that I'm not aware of. It appears to me that you are singling out Ruth. I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared that way to others. MSU158 mentioned 5 names and you picked out only Ruth? Why wouldn't your reasoning apply to Dake, Taylor, Sanderson, etc. Seems strange.

I know people who are very close to the PSU program and have spoken to them about Ruth. Do you personally know any PSU insiders?

You however, just like to argue for the sake of arguing and nothing more. You're not worth my time, or anyone else's

This is simply not true JT1. I'm sorry that you feel that way about my posts. There's not much I can do to help you. I have committed no crimes on these discussion boards. In the past, I merely asked you to support your claims. It's not my fault if you struggle with that.

Edit: Part of the problem with many of your post JT1 is that you seemingly pass off your opinions as facts. If you're upset that people ask you to support your assertions, you should stop making so many unfounded assertions.

Great points olddirty. JT1 makes very specific claims about Ed Ruth. From where I'm sitting, it looks like JT1's claims aren't much more than his own opinions.

"He has no more dedication and preparation than does anyone else. He just happens to have that much more talent and natural ability."

I wouldn't make a statement like that unless I could support it. I don't see how he could really have an issue about someone asking him to support such a statement.

JT1, I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind your statements. You made claims, and I want to see if there's any evidence that you have that I'm not aware of. It appears to me that you are singling out Ruth. I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared that way to others. MSU158 mentioned 5 names and you picked out only Ruth? Why wouldn't your reasoning apply to Dake, Taylor, Sanderson, etc. Seems strange.

I know people who are very close to the PSU program and have spoken to them about Ruth. Do you personally know any PSU insiders?

You however, just like to argue for the sake of arguing and nothing more. You're not worth my time, or anyone else's

This is simply not true JT1. I'm sorry that you feel that way about my posts. There's not much I can do to help you. I have committed no crimes on these discussion boards. In the past, I merely asked you to support your claims. It's not my fault if you struggle with that.

Edit: Part of the problem with many of your post JT1 is that you seemingly pass off your opinions as facts. If you're upset that people ask you to support your assertions, you should stop making so many unfounded assertions.

Argument: Ed Ruth works harder, is more dedicated and makes better choices than other wrestlers at 184, and that is why he is more successful than they are.

Counter argument: While Ed Ruth does indeed work very hard, is very dedicated and does make a lot of good choices, there are other wrestlers at 184 lbs that work equally as hard (some harder, some not as hard), are equally as dedicated (some more, some not as much) and make as many good choices (some more, some not as much) and the reason why Ruth has more success than they do, is because he has more natural talent and ability than they do.

When you are comparing the top 12 guys in a weight class in NCAA Division I wrestling, they all work hard, they are all dedicated and they all make good choices. If they didn't, they wouldn't be there. What separates Ed Ruth from Jimmy Sheptock and Ethen Lofthouse and Ryan Loder isn't that he's out working them in preperation, it isn't that his focus and dedication are so much grander than there's and it isn't because he makes better choices than all of them. It's because Ed Ruth has more natural abilities than they do.

Argument: Ed Ruth works harder, is more dedicated and makes better choices than other wrestlers at 184, and that is why he is more successful than they are.

Counter argument: While Ed Ruth does indeed work very hard, is very dedicated and does make a lot of good choices, there are other wrestlers at 184 lbs that work equally as hard (some harder, some not as hard), are equally as dedicated (some more, some not as much) and make as many good choices (some more, some not as much) and the reason why Ruth has more success than they do, is because he has more natural talent and ability than they do.

When you are comparing the top 12 guys in a weight class in NCAA Division I wrestling, they all work hard, they are all dedicated and they all make good choices. If they didn't, they wouldn't be there. What separates Ed Ruth from Jimmy Sheptock and Ethen Lofthouse and Ryan Loder isn't that he's out working them in preperation, it isn't that his focus and dedication are so much grander than there's and it isn't because he makes better choices than all of them. It's because Ed Ruth has more natural abilities than they do.

Thank you for the response JT1. I'll have to get back to you later.

This is what shows your ignorance when it comes to training. You are talking out of your ass with no knowledge of how any of these guys train, but I will make it simple for you:

Every single day, Ed Ruth walks into practice 2x a day and has to wrestle with Brown, Taylor, Wright, and Sanderson. Thats about 9 NCAA finals appearances, a few world medals, and an Olympic title. What do Loder, Sheptock, and Lofthouse walk into? Any time the environment of the room is that tough, you are going to be working out at a staggeringly higher level than a guy like Loder who is training with guys who have 0 NCAA finals spots, 0 All American honors, and 0 world level medals.

There is absolutely no way that Loder can put himself into the intensity level of the Penn State room. The amount of focus and dedication it takes to even wake up and go to practice with guys multiple NCAA titles and world medals is nothing like what Loder is dealing with: Guys who many havent even qualified for NCAA's. All you need to do is look at who is surrounding Ruth and who is surrounding guys like Loder and Sheptock and you will see who has a harder training day. Ruth wins because of his workout partners and coaches, not because he is strong or fast.

This is literally the first thing you figure out when training in college or at the Olympic level.

It's quite possible that other 184lbsers (or 174 when he was at that weight) work "harder" than Ruth (which doesn't exactly mean working better, but that's not the topic).

But those working harder than Ruth aren't working with David Taylor, Quentin Wright, Morgan McIntosh, Casey Cunningham, Jake Varner and Cael Sanderson.

That probably factors into it a little.

Oh, and Johnny: he's hit it a couple of times, but Walsh doesn't even have the best headlock in the IU room.

My post got deleted, but I will repost. I dont expect you to understand this. It is the very, very first thing you learn in college wrestling and in Olympic wrestling. The amount of focus, hardwork, and intensity you are going to use in that given practice is 100% related to with whom you are working out with that day.

Why is Ed Ruth working harder than Ryan Loder, Ethan Lofthouse, or Jimmy Sheptock? It is because he is working out with guys 2x a day with a combined 13 NCAA finals appearances, two world medals, and and 2 Olympic gold medals. Ryan Loder isnt even working out with an NCAA All American. That means the amount of real hard work, real intensity, and real focus that will be put in by Loder in training will be staggeringly lower than Ruth's. When Ryan Loder wakes up, his day is going to be exponentially easier than Ed Ruth's. This might not be fair, but its why Ed Ruth is winning, not because Ed Ruth is black, not because he is strong, and not because he is fast. Its because he is training with the cream of the crop, and the Ryan Loders of the world are not.

Time and time again in your posts, you always boil it down to 2 things: Hard work and some god given cheat code that wins. There is so much more into that that. Why is Ed Ruth winning? There are guys out there with better physical gifts than Ruth that Ruth will beat every time. He has built better timing, he has a better understanding of leverage, and he has way, way more confidence. Add in that he is working out with guys who are the absolute top of the sport and then the magic genetics that someone might have can be easily negated.

Side note, I am curious how a kid can spend 5 or 6 years in college with a general studies major. What do you do with a general studies degree and how could it take 5 or 6 years?

One of the Navy kids is a General Studies major. Disappointed it wasn't Admiral Studies.

My post got deleted, but I will repost. I dont expect you to understand this. It is the very, very first thing you learn in college wrestling and in Olympic wrestling. The amount of focus, hardwork, and intensity you are going to use in that given practice is 100% related to with whom you are working out with that day.

Why is Ed Ruth working harder than Ryan Loder, Ethan Lofthouse, or Jimmy Sheptock? It is because he is working out with guys 2x a day with a combined 13 NCAA finals appearances, two world medals, and and 2 Olympic gold medals. Ryan Loder isnt even working out with an NCAA All American. That means the amount of real hard work, real intensity, and real focus that will be put in by Loder in training will be staggeringly lower than Ruth's. When Ryan Loder wakes up, his day is going to be exponentially easier than Ed Ruth's. This might not be fair, but its why Ed Ruth is winning, not because Ed Ruth is black, not because he is strong, and not because he is fast. Its because he is training with the cream of the crop, and the Ryan Loders of the world are not.

Time and time again in your posts, you always boil it down to 2 things: Hard work and some god given cheat code that wins. There is so much more into that that. Why is Ed Ruth winning? There are guys out there with better physical gifts than Ruth that Ruth will beat every time. He has built better timing, he has a better understanding of leverage, and he has way, way more confidence. Add in that he is working out with guys who are the absolute top of the sport and then the magic genetics that someone might have can be easily negated.

First and foremost, don't accuse me of any racism, whether you are doing it directly or indirectly. I never said, I never implied, I never even gave the slightest iota of a hint that I thought Ruth's success had anything to do with the color of his skin. My analysis of his talent and ability, would be the same I would say about David Taylor who is white, Yojiro Uetake who is Asian, and anyone else who is anything else, because that has nothing to do with it. We're all humans, and some humans have more natural ability and talent than others.

Secondly of all, do you honestly not understand the difference between working hard and working smart? Hard work is measured by a person's will to put forth as much effort as they possibly can. Do do all that is within their power to give 100% of themselves in a given situation. With what Ryan Loder has in front of him and what resources he has, I say that Ryan Loder works just as HARD as Ed Ruth does. Now Ruth, as you mentioned has better resources than Loder does. He has better workout partners. That does not reflect Ruths WORK ETHIC. It reflects the fact that he has phenomenal resources, and that he makes the most of them which would be a reflection of making a good choice.

You're the one that continuously spouts the American dream saga again and again. How you could take a blind cripple and make him into an Olympic Gold medalist that would school the Russians and Iranians if he'd be willing to out work all of them. I"m the one that is telling you that hard work is an ingredient to success, while you're the one spewing that it within itself and nothing else is going to win you gold medals.

Ed Ruth is the best of the best for many reasons, which you seem to say in one sense and completely contradict in another. I'm simply saying that Ed Ruth isn't the best of the best because he works harder than others. It's because of many factors, many of which you mentioned and yet you want to boil it down to "he works harder". When through your own explanation, you clearly don't understand the difference between hard work and smart work.

Secondly of all, do you honestly not understand the difference between working hard and working smart? Hard work is measured by a person's will to put forth as much effort as they possibly can. Do do all that is within their power to give 100% of themselves in a given situation. With what Ryan Loder has in front of him and what resources he has, I say that Ryan Loder works just as HARD as Ed Ruth does. Now Ruth, as you mentioned has better resources than Loder does. He has better workout partners. That does not reflect Ruths WORK ETHIC. It reflects the fact that he has phenomenal resources, and that he makes the most of them which would be a reflection of making a good choice.

Going into a room like Penn State at 184 vs going into UNI's practice room at 184 has nothing to do with working smart. When you go into a practice in Ed Ruth's position, you have no other choice but to use a much higher level of intensity than Ryan Loder does at UNI. What separates the level of work in a college or Olympic room is not calories burned, it is intensity. That has nothing to do with making noises during sprints, making faces and yells during practice, or how strong you are. The level of work is determined by your workout partners, not sprints.

This is what you dont understand, and never will. It is impossible for someone with limited highschool experience to understand the work difference between training with no All Americans vs daily practice with David Taylor, Cael Sanderson, Jake Varner, and Quentin Wright.

You have no idea how hard anyone works because you dont work out with them. All you have to look at is who they work out with, what their coach will tolerate, and the same for the other guys in that weight class. Given that, Ed Ruth has much harder work to be done at 3:30 than Sheptock or Loder.

Going into a room like Penn State at 184 vs going into UNI's practice room at 184 has nothing to do with working smart. When you go into a practice in Ed Ruth's position, you have no other choice but to use a much higher level of intensity than Ryan Loder does at UNI. What separates the level of work in a college or Olympic room is not calories burned, it is intensity. That has nothing to do with making noises during sprints, making faces and yells during practice, or how strong you are. The level of work is determined by your workout partners, not sprints.

This is what you dont understand, and never will. It is impossible for someone with limited highschool experience to understand the work difference between training with no All Americans vs daily practice with David Taylor, Cael Sanderson, Jake Varner, and Quentin Wright.

You have no idea how hard anyone works because you dont work out with them. All you have to look at is who they work out with, what their coach will tolerate, and the same for the other guys in that weight class. Given that, Ed Ruth has much harder work to be done at 3:30 than Sheptock or Loder.

Thank goodness your a "hard worker" because if you had to rely on your brains, you'd be s.o.l.

You COULD watch a number of wrestlers, any wrestlers work out every day, and observe what they do, 24/7. Even IF you SAW another wrestler OUTWORK another wrestler, you would STILL conclude at the end of the day that the wrestler who won, worked harder, even if it were slapped straight across your face that no he didn't. You have your mind already made up and won't deviate away from it for nothing, not even if it were to be proven to you. You think hard work solves anything and everything and is the answer to absolutely everything. I hope failure and a lot of it come your way. And yes, I do wish this on you cause I'm sick of your "you didn't work hard enough" "they didn't work hard enough" criticism that you continuously abuse people with. It's inaccurate, it's annoying and it's old. I hope some day you give it everything you have, practically die trying at something you want more than anything else in the world and I hope you fail miserably at it. Not because I'd enjoy the fact of you failing, but because it'd be rewarding for you to realize that sometimes you can work your butt off, give it everything you have got to give, and STILL fail.

Then again, even if that happens to you, you'll probably conclude that you didn't work hard after all.

Maybe they ought to have you announce at the NCAA's this year, "and in 7th place, the guy that obviously worked harder all season than the 8th place guy, but not nearly as hard as the 6th place guy who didn't work as hard as the 5th place guy, who didn't work as hard as the 4th place guy....."