Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

How Coaches Dress

Let's face it wrestling is a blue collar sport and our coaches dress like it. On many of the media guides, I see coaches that don't have the top button of their shirt buttoned while wearing a tie. I also see others where the tie is slightly out of place ant the coach looks sloppy. Okay, I get the blue collar thing but from a marketing/image thing, it looks horrible. Contrast this with the GQ image of basketball coaches and it leaves one shaking his head.

My rant is over...make your own conclusions!

Let's face it wrestling is a blue collar sport and our coaches dress like it. On many of the media guides, I see coaches that don't have the top button of their shirt buttoned while wearing a tie. I also see others where the tie is slightly out of place ant the coach looks sloppy. Okay, I get the blue collar thing but from a marketing/image thing, it looks horrible. Contrast this with the GQ image of basketball coaches and it leaves one shaking his head.

I agree.

Baseball managers wear the same uniform as the players. Football coaches usually wear a team polo (if weather permits) or a team jacket, ball cap, khakis and sneakers.

Basketball coaches earning 6+ figures wear Brooks Brothers.

What do wrestling coaches earning 50K wear?

The head coaches at the major wrestling schools are aking $100-$200+ K annually, this doesn't include camp money. Jay Robinson grosses about $4 million annually in camp money.

Mark Cody dresses up, his assistants Frayer and Lightner don't put on the dress shirt, tie and coat. I think the head coach should dress up in school colors if possible.

I understand the reference to wrestling being a "Blue Collar" sport. Ice hockey is also a blue collar sport but the coaching staffs wear a suit. Like it or not image plays a major role in how we are perceived when trying to fundraise for the team. I once witnessed a coach with a top 10 program wear a coat & tie, jeans & hiking boots for a dual against the #1 team in the country. Great coach and a super individual but not a very professional image to say the least.

I understand the reference to wrestling being a "Blue Collar" sport. Ice hockey is also a blue collar sport but the coaching staffs wear a suit. Like it or not image plays a major role in how we are perceived when trying to fundraise for the team. I once witnessed a coach with a top 10 program wear a coat & tie, jeans & hiking boots for a dual against the #1 team in the country. Great coach and a super individual but not a very professional image to say the least.

If you think hockey is a blue collar sport then you know absolutely nothing about hockey and how much families have to spend for their children to play.

I coached a kid whose parents lived in the Town of Paradise Valley, a very weathly community in the phoenix area. There were 4 boys. Mom had a bumper sticker on her SuV said driver carries no money, son plays ice hockey. She also had a sticker that said hockey moms beat up soccer moms. I told her she needed to get a sticker that said wrestling moms could whip any other moms.

Wrestling may be a blue collar sport, but this isn't a fashion show. I don't care so much what coaches wear, but I would say that a good-fitting suit is a useful tactic for head coaches. Basketball coaches may look snazzy, but some basketball players look like they just got out of jail or a circus. Now that looks horrible.

Wrestling fans don't look so good either. Maybe you should wear some Armani or Roberto Cavalli to meets to show us how it should be. You could be the guy in Brooks Bros. buying a bratwurst at the concession stand.

If you think hockey is a blue collar sport then you know absolutely nothing about hockey and how much families have to spend for their children to play.

I have had sons participate in ice hockey at a pretty high level so I know the cost. Depending on your geographical location determines what it cost to play at a high level. Travel, equipment & ice time is expensive but travel is what really kills you. Wrestling in many ways is the same as hockey. Most of the NHL hockey players from Canada are very much "BLUE COLLAR" as they grow up in small communities. They still practice outside and every community has at least one sheet of ice. They play against other communities and usually travel no more than 100 miles.