Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

iowa state with cael

nitlion, I think Cornell might be good enough next year, but I thought that once before and it did not work out that way for them. But they do have some serious talent on that roster, and it isn't just Garrett and Dean.

TBar, or should I say Cody.

Most Cornell fans believed Philly was their year. The reason Scribe is such a bitter dude is because the Big Red failed that year.

I agree Cornell has some serious talent, and Koll is pretty good at devising individualized game plans.

nitlion, I think Cornell might be good enough next year, but I thought that once before and it did not work out that way for them. But they do have some serious talent on that roster, and it isn't just Garrett and Dean.

TBar, or should I say Cody.

Most Cornell fans believed Philly was their year. The reason Scribe is such a bitter dude is because the Big Red failed that year.

I agree Cornell has some serious talent, and Koll is pretty good at devising individualized game plans.

I am going with Cael for this response, nitlion. I'm surprised Koll hasn't tried to diminish bonus points for this year. Ha!

It's been a nice run, but carls psu team will start resembling his isu teams going forward.

You really are a bitter little dude, aren't you?

like I said. It's been a nice run. You might like to enjoy it in the moment.

I am.

When it ends I hope I do not have to resort to calling Koll or some other successful coach names and question their character to get enjoyment from wrestling.

Wow - I wrote a nice post about Penn State. Nitlion had a good post about Cornell. Then tbar joins in, then tbar and nitlion find a way to chuckle at cornell and poke at scribe starting the downhill slide. Scribe chimes in with a comment then tbar and nitlion sling mud. Can't we all just get a Long?

:P

It's been a nice run, but carls psu team will start resembling his isu teams going forward.

Yeah scribe, going forward with only Megaludis, Gulibon, Conaway, Retherford, Frey, Alton, Beitz, Alton, Brown, McCutcheon, Phipps, McIntosh, Lawson, Gingrich with recruits Nolf, Nickals, and Nevills PSU should really struggle.

If they can get some production out of Altons next season, they might resemble Minny as a team. A very strong team with a chance to win it all. If not, they'll just look a lot like the ISU squads.

Wow - I wrote a nice post about Penn State. Nitlion had a good post about Cornell. Then tbar joins in, then tbar and nitlion find a way to chuckle at cornell and poke at scribe starting the downhill slide. Scribe chimes in with a comment then tbar and nitlion sling mud. Can't we all just get a Long?

:P

I like Cornell. I watched Koll wrestle as a kid. A very good friend of mine had a son wrestle for Koll. I give Koll a tremendous amount of credit for building a nationally elite program. That doesn't mean I have to give any respect to some crying, bitter soul who has more negative words for Cael and Penn State than he will ever have positive for Cornell.

It sure will be interesting to see what comes next. Sunderland's recruiting classes will be graduating and the ISU recruiting class will be following in short order.

It's been a good run, particularly with the pieces Sunderland had in place.

It sure will be interesting to see what comes next. Sunderland's recruiting classes will be graduating and the ISU recruiting class will be following in short order.

It's been a good run, particularly with the pieces Sunderland had in place.

I had a lengthy response, but I said the heck with it. To date it has most definitely been a fun ride. One that does not happen if Cael does not take the PSU coaching job. As we move forward with Nico, Jordan, Jimmy, Zain, Zach, Andrew, Dylan, Jason Nolf, Garett Hammond, Matt, Bo Nickal, Matt McCutcheon, Wes Phipps, Morgan, Jimmy, Jon or Nick Nevills and whoever Cael brings in next year and the year after that - as frustrating and painful as it will be for you personally, the ride has a much greater chance than slight of continuing.

you monster! how could you say such negative things! i hope you and your bitter soul enjoy getting no respect from others!

Excellent snap shot argument.

This thread makes me jealous:(

In all seriousness i have no doubt Cael would have won a title in Ames. Heck he might have in his next year, we took 3rd under KJ, and without returning all american Nick Gallick, who was ranked number 1.

My question is WTF are our athletic directors doing. Gable and Cael were both the clear cut best wrestlers of there time and legends, how do you let them freaking leave!!!!!!!!!! you have to pull out every stop and pay them every dime.

It is good for the sport to have eastern teams nationally relevant like PSU and Cornell. Pitt and Lehigh also have potential.

Who in the west is most likely to step up and become a serious contender? I have trouble understanding how a California school isnt competitive on a regular basis.

Oregon state? Can Cal Poly rebuild and keep in-state talent home? Will ASU ever re-emerge?

I am not sure that there was enough money for Cael to have stayed in Ames. Certainly his post-exit-stage-right commentary indicated that he felt that he had a better shot at recruiting population and talent rich east coast over the Midwest. And I am not sure that there was enough money to be had in Ames anyway, compared with what PSU was ready to pony up for salary, benefits, facilities, etc.

And yes, I am still PO'd about the situation, not because Cael left when he did, or why he did, but because he was so coy about it afterward and did not always act in a way that indicated equity. Argue it all you want, but ISU did the right thing, in my opinion, in every situation as it related to Cael and the wrestlers, whereas Cael did not (e.g. ISU released Cyler unconditionally, but Cael would not do the same with Bubba. There are others, but most of you already are well aware of them).

I am not sure that there was enough money for Cael to have stayed in Ames. Certainly his post-exit-stage-right commentary indicated that he felt that he had a better shot at recruiting population and talent rich east coast over the Midwest. And I am not sure that there was enough money to be had in Ames anyway, compared with what PSU was ready to pony up for salary, benefits, facilities, etc.

And yes, I am still PO'd about the situation, not because Cael left when he did, or why he did, but because he was so coy about it afterward and did not always act in a way that indicated equity. Argue it all you want, but ISU did the right thing, in my opinion, in every situation as it related to Cael and the wrestlers, whereas Cael did not (e.g. ISU released Cyler unconditionally, but Cael would not do the same with Bubba. There are others, but most of you already are well aware of them).

I think people discount the importance of the Penn State Wrestling club. It seem like he has more than the full backing of this group to get as much talent in town as possible. This is a huge advantage to have, and not sure he would have every pulled that off in Ames.

It is good for the sport to have eastern teams nationally relevant like PSU and Cornell. Pitt and Lehigh also have potential.

Who in the west is most likely to step up and become a serious contender? I have trouble understanding how a California school isnt competitive on a regular basis.

Oregon state? Can Cal Poly rebuild and keep in-state talent home? Will ASU ever re-emerge?

I have been thinking Oregon State will be that team for the west coast (is Wyoming west coast? because they will likely cycle back too). As for the south, I thought Virginia Tech would become the team but the Virginia Cavaliers keep putting tough teams together to claim the top spot in state. It seems, to me, that Virginia Tech has done a better job with marketing and attracting fans (though that may be partly due to VT fans being more interested in sports in general than UVA, I don't know) while Virginia is winning on the mat.

I do think these teams are going to continue to build but it is a slow process. In Oregon State's case they have done well with attracting west coast talent but when you compare them to the likes of Cornell, Penn State, Lehigh, and Pittsburgh, you mentioned there is one distinct difference, I see. All four of those schools only need a few national recruits every four years because they can fill a lineup with potential All-Americans from local and regional talent. Oregon State's west coast recruits might as well be national recruits since they still have to get on a plane. This makes it hard to build the depth and makes for a slower turn around but I think they will continue to slowly get stronger.

I agree much of the increased interest over the past 5 years has a lot to with Penn State and Cornell becoming part of the wrestling power structure and 2 of the elite programs. Pitt is stepping forward, but to date Lehigh has failed to take that step forward.

A western power would be great, but specifically a California (population) power would be particularly great.