• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

Assuming you wanted to do something like sabrmetrics for wrestling, and assuming you could get the scorebooks to reflect the detail needed to do it, what statistics would you look at or invent to judge talent objectively?

There is a lot of "old school " knowledge out there that just hasn't been tested... where would you start?

First TD wins?
Stand up is the best escape?
etc...

#2 duckvet

duckvet

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Three year project already completed. See www.uswrestling.org.

#3 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,505 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

Interesting...I checked that site but where do you find the results? What are the 8 concepts?

#4 quanon

quanon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:36 AM

I'm interested in this as well - is there an actual publication somewhere?

#5 Chris Orzechowski

Chris Orzechowski
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hey,

I myself have been very interested in the numbers behind our sport. I have been working on a few studies at the high school and college level. My first study can be found here:http://www.wrestlingcoachacademy.com/#sthash.WVz8zar3.dpbs

I am currently finishing up a study on NCAA Division 1 Wrestling, and I should have it completed this week.

I hope this helps. If there are any specific questions or statistics you would like to see, please let me know. Thank you.

#6 redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:25 AM

What is described in the coaching section is what I am talking about, but where is the research/outcomes? Is it something they are keeping proprietary, or is it open?

#7 cardsfsc

cardsfsc

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I remember reading something by Zeke Jones a few years back.
I believe in the article he went back and broke down every match in that year's World Championships and gave the statistics/results. I will search for it online and see if I can track it down. It might have been in the USA Wrestling magazine a few years back. It was a pretty good article, very interesting.

#8 cardsfsc

cardsfsc

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

I remember reading something by Zeke Jones a few years back.
I believe in the article he went back and broke down every match in that year's World Championships and gave the statistics/results. I will search for it online and see if I can track it down. It might have been in the USA Wrestling magazine a few years back. It was a pretty good article, very interesting.

#9 LAWRENCE

LAWRENCE

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

Chris:

Can you please delete the pictures you posted about body fat. the caption was these people probably ate more than your wrestlers.

Those pictures you used were from a Nazi concentration camp during world war II.
The people depicted in those pictures maybe had a slice of bread and bowl of soup a day.

It is an inappropriate picture to use.

#10 duckvet

duckvet

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

Yes, the results are proprietary at this point, which is why the website was taken down. We have completed the first year of a successful test of the system at the high school level and will add a youth club component this year. A general overview of the results and conclusions will be available in the near future.

#11 maligned

maligned

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

I think it would be fascinating to do a video study of the last 10 years of freestyle world championships to calculate what percentage of our points earned came through maneuvers that would have been executed the same in folkstyle and what share of our points came from non-folkstyle moves.  It's not as simple as "takedowns are folkstyle, exposures and pushouts are freestyle."  

Examples: Headlock to the back would be all folkstyle crossover.  Ankle lace would be zero folkstyle crossover.  Double leg to the butt for a takedown followed by elevating the legs to get extra exposure points would be partly folk, partly free.

Anyway, in the end, I would want to know these facts:

--What percentage of U.S. points in international freestyle matches come from folkstyle moves?

--What percentage of our points come from non-folkstyle moves?

--What percentages of these two types do we give up to our opponents?

--What percentages of these two types do top nations (Russia and Iran) earn?  

It would take detailed video analysis and record-keeping to develop a system for analyzing it all because there would be a lot of partial folk/free situations to evaluate.

I'm also curious about ties/setups.

I would love to look at both high level NCAA and high level International competition to see, for example, which percentage of setups initiated by head/neck contact are successful vs. which percentage initiated by only arm and/or wrist setups are successful.  

• quanon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users