Sign in to follow this  
smittyfan

Ben Askren

I have totally enjoyed this guys career since his freshman year at Mizzou. I'm a big Poke fan, and even had Chris Pendleton in my room for a clinic a few years back. That said, Ben Askren is just flat out a great competitor, in the octagon, and an amazing representative for the wrestling community. I know many feel his weakness to be his striking and kicking offense, but I on the other hand, appreciate a guy who comes out and just flat out says, "I'm a wrestler, stop me if you can!" Another reason I admire Ben is the fact that he doesn't just visit a wrestling room before a big fight, he continues to compete in wrestling. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head doing that. Best of luck Ben Askren. I will always pull for you...unless you fight an OSU Cowboy:)

Ben just submitted the dude from Azerbaijan in round one at OneFC debut. That guy was a combat Sambo and Grappling World Champ. Ben got taken down initially, immediately reversed and began pounding the guy from his back. Eventually, he turned into Ben and the arm triangle choke was there "all day" as Ben said. Super nice guy, great ambassador for the sport. Of course I'm biased, but whatever.

I like Askren his wrestling is OK on the mat....but his standup wrestling isn't so effective. Like in the Olympic games and international wrestling competitions.

Ben's wrestling is "OK" on the mat???! LOL! He is a freak on the mat!!! Nobody has ground controll and scrambling like him... not even other high caliber wrestlers. That's what has made him so dominant thus far. When it goes to the mat... not if it goes to the mat... when it goes to the mat, there is no way to get him off of top. 

He said that crap about Dana White not testing for roids when he could.  Not the best move on Ben's part at all.  White blames it on Ben's style and that may be true but it's really about those comments.

I'd love to see him get a shot, but I'm not holding my breath.  I consider Ben one of the great minds of wrestling technique.  He has a very cerebral approach when it comes to technique.  He just puts himself in positions he's more comfortable in and  makes you wrestle/fight his style.  

Dana White press scrum was interesting.  Blasted Barao for not making weight, and made it clear that Henry not making weight is a big deal.  Hope the kid goes up a weight.  On the other hand, he did get a couple of questions from the press about Ben Askren.  He said Ben may eventually get a shot at a title.  He also said he doesn't hold a grudge, but that Ben said a lot of stupid ****.  He did also comment that these guys are wired different, they're fighters and just different.  I know most people hate Dana White and think of him as a classless thug, but love him or hate him, as King of the World of MMA, he is growing this thing to inconceivable levels.  IMO it's just getting bigger and bigger with TUF Mexico and soon to be Asia.

Edited by smittyfan

Dana White press scrum was interesting.  Blasted Barao for not making weight, and made it clear that Henry not making weight is a big deal.  Hope the kid goes up a weight.  On the other hand, he did get a couple of questions from the press about Ben Askren.  He said Ben may eventually get a shot at a title.  He also said he doesn't hold a grudge, but that Ben said a lot of stupid ****.  He did also comment that these guys are wired different, they're fighters and just different.  I know most people hate Dana White and think of him as a classless thug, but love him or hate him, as King of the World of MMA, he is growing this thing to inconceivable levels.  IMO it's just getting bigger and bigger with TUF Mexico and soon to be Asia.

Dana is doing all of that?

Lorenzo specifically is in charge of global development.  Do you actually believe a loose cannon emotional buffoon like Dana is in charge of any type of expansion of the UFC what so ever?  

Dana is the front man and fall guy for when things go poorly, like last night.   He owns 9% of the company.   Lorenzo is the CEO and owns 40% (his brother the other 40%).  

I just watched five fights from Ben Askren and I agree with the OP and everyone else who believes Ben deserves an opportunity. His fluidity in going from one hold to the next is unreal and I get the biggest grin on my face seeing his wrestling acumen fleshed out in the octagon. The guy more than has the credentials to affix his signature on a UFC contract (13+ fights, two time NCAA Champion, 2008 Olympian). Dana White needs to get over himself. At least in the meantime Wrestling still has a strong presence in UFC with Chris Weidman as Middleweight Champion.

I'd like to see Ben throw his funk into the mix against Gunnar Nelson or Rick Story.

If that works out well then I think he can dismantle Robbie Lawler for all the marbles.

Johny Hendricks will be a tougher nut to crack. 

I had no idea.  I stand corrected.

$h!t just hit the fan at the UFC.   

Class action lawsuit filed citing anti trust violations by Zuffa (owners of the UFC).   Askren could be a big winner in all of this as market value of fighters is one of the issues being alleged has been manipulated by Zuffa.   

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fmma%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F12037883%2Fantitrust-lawsuit-filed-ufc-parent-company-claims-monopoly&ei=74mTVIGnO8zqoATRmoCIDA&usg=AFQjCNFV7h-e5UYViHMk1apmq-CKX-T6Ow&sig2=Mnqt9qj4LerOI0O7wxSrbg&bvm=bv.82001339,d.cGU

I just watched five fights from Ben Askren and I agree with the OP and everyone else who believes Ben deserves an opportunity. His fluidity in going from one hold to the next is unreal and I get the biggest grin on my face seeing his wrestling acumen fleshed out in the octagon. The guy more than has the credentials to affix his signature on a UFC contract (13+ fights, two time NCAA Champion, 2008 Olympian). Dana White needs to get over himself. At least in the meantime Wrestling still has a strong presence in UFC with Chris Weidman as Middleweight Champion.

and Jones, Velasquez, Johnson, handriks in the respective divisions