Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Rule 5.9.2.3

This was called correctly in the Ness-Alton match but very wrong in Dardanes-Beitz and it factored heavily in the outcome.

5.9.2.3 A wrestler shall be called for stalling if kicking out from a lower leg hold when this action results in the defending wrestler going out of the wrestling area

I said that immediately...not just to those on press row, but when I saw them during halftime to Cael and Casey.

What did Cael and Casey say ? Were they not aware of the rule ?

They were aware...probably just slipped their mid at the moment...I wasn't really asking what they were thinking (or saying), just wanted to clarify to them that they had been, well, .

One job a coach should practice is protecting the wrestler from Refs who don't know the rules. Fail Cael, fail official, fail head official review, fail table . This should not occur and if officials were held or performed to the high standard they try to enforce on the athletes it wouldn't happen. this is true of very few and their organization is remiss in training, performance evals, testing for rules interpretation (and why in hell should rules need interpretation) and fitness tests. Even the best garden requires constant weeding.

The ref definitely gave the dual tithe Gophers with that call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And loads of guys want to let something like that decide the NCAA Championship.

Good point TBar. I'm sure that there has never been a missed call at the D1 tourney that cost a guy a match.

Good point TBar. I'm sure that there has never been a missed call at the D1 tourney that cost a guy a match.

I can guarantee you that there has never been a missed call like this in February that resulted in one team gaining an advantage over the other before the NCAA Tournament had even started.

I said when watching this dual that some would go to the Beitz match and complain. When losing a lot of you guys have to have a someone to blame. Lord knows it's not your teams fault and sure as hell is not Penn St.'s fault they got beat. I got news for you guys, Dylan Alton lost you that dual. Not the ref and not Beitz. Ness won it, Alton lost it. Period. Keep your 4th ranked, All-American from counting lights in what everyone knew would be a close dual and you don't have to blame the ref. Regardless of how the rule reads Beitz was fleeing the mat. When someone gets in on a shot don't dive straight out of bounds and you don't have to worry about the ref calling that.

Don't mind Tbar, dtl, he has to say and think whatever Cael says and thinks. You waste your time. You want to change Tbar's mind and the rest of his boys, then you have to change Cael's mind. Only way.

I said when watching this dual that some would go to the Beitz match and complain. When losing a lot of you guys have to have a someone to blame. Lord knows it's not your teams fault and sure as hell is not Penn St.'s fault they got beat. I got news for you guys, Dylan Alton lost you that dual. Not the ref and not Beitz. Ness won it, Alton lost it. Period. Keep your 4th ranked, All-American from counting lights in what everyone knew would be a close dual and you don't have to blame the ref. Regardless of how the rule reads Beitz was fleeing the mat. When someone gets in on a shot don't dive straight out of bounds and you don't have to worry about the ref calling that.

Gonzo is right. Dylan Alton lost the match for PSU. And I already said that in another thread. Not only did he give up 6 points, the momentum shift and all the pressure on PSU wrestlers to make up the difference.

Gonzo is right. Dylan Alton lost the match for PSU. And I already said that in another thread. Not only did he give up 6 points, the momentum shift and all the pressure on PSU wrestlers to make up the difference.

At the time I said it eliminated David Taylor from the dual and it was huge. As it turned out it eliminated Taylor and Ruth thanks to strategic wrestling by Zilverberg and what I thought was an embarrassing effort (yet effective) out of Steinhizzie. Ness-6, Taylor/Ruth-7. There is your dual. Cry and blame refs all night and forever. Dylan Alton lost you that dual. And like I said above, if Beitz doesn't dive straight out of bounds as his shot defense then the ref has no chance to make the call. If your shot defense is dive straight out of bounds you ARE fleeing the f'ing mat!!!

At the time I said it eliminated David Taylor from the dual and it was huge. As it turned out it eliminated Taylor and Ruth thanks to strategic wrestling by Zilverberg and what I thought was an embarrassing effort (yet effective) out of Steinhizzie. Ness-6, Taylor/Ruth-7. There is your dual. Cry and blame refs all night and forever. Dylan Alton lost you that dual. And like I said above, if Beitz doesn't dive straight out of bounds as his shot defense then the ref has no chance to make the call. If your shot defense is dive straight out of bounds you ARE fleeing the f'ing mat!!!

Yes, forget the fact that "Fleeing the mat" is not in the rulebook anymore. Call it anyway. :roll:

Like I said before, there are many other reasons they lost, and correctly calling it stalling, instead of incorrectly calling a technical, doesn't guarantee that Beitz wins. Dardanes still had time and may have gotten a takedown or forced a 2nd stall call. However, saying that the ref correctly awarded a point for a technical violation that is no longer in the rulebook is stupid.

I wasn't literally saying this-"However, saying that the ref correctly awarded a point for a technical violation that is no longer in the rulebook is stupid."

I've already posted this was a misapplication of the rule.

You missed the point(s).

I wasn't literally saying this-"However, saying that the ref correctly awarded a point for a technical violation that is no longer in the rulebook is stupid."

You missed the point(s).

Trust me, we ALL get your point. It doesn't change. You hate Penn State. You hate Penn State fans. It's what you are all about on this forum.

When there is so much hate, you know you are great.

You missed the point(s).

Trust me, we ALL get your point. It doesn't change. You hate Penn State. You hate Penn State fans. It's what you are all about on this forum.

When there is so much hate, you know you are great.

Ok, thank god. For a second there I thought you didn't get it. I don't see how you are connecting the hate with the fleeing the mat but bottom line is I'm not saying the call was right. It's funny. It was deserved. But it wasn't the correct call by rule.

Dude, it isn't hard to connect the hate. When Dardanes grabbed that ankle, he was going to score. Perhaps Beitz knew the rule, and kicked away to flee the mat, knowing that he didn't yet have a stalling warning.

If you are saying you would like fleeing the mat to be a point again, I would tend to agree. I'm not sure why they took it out. If you are fleeing to avoid points and it is obvious, and a point should be given. See, we might actually agree on something. :)

So Alton lost the match for PSU in the same way that DSJ lost the match for Iowa against Minnesota - by going to his back and counting lights. Keep your DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION from counting lights in a big match then they would be sharing the B1G dual championship.

So Alton lost the match for PSU in the same way that DSJ lost the match for Iowa against Minnesota - by going to his back and counting lights. Keep your DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION from counting lights in a big match then they would be sharing the B1G dual championship.

Iowa may well still. If they beat Wisconsin in two weeks, they'd share it as well. If they had beaten Minnesota in that dual, they'd have locked up their share already and would be going for the title outright against the Badgers.