Sign in to follow this  
Brutus81

Altons . . .

you think he should endorse what Kingsley or Zilverberg did? That would be stupid. Dylan was behind and had to score to win the match. He did exactly what he should have done, which is try to get Ness on the ground. He just got stuck. It happens.

Actually he should kept it on topic of Alton and not wandered into some asinine logic by bringing up Kingsley and Zberg. Yes, Alton was behind but he's ranked 4 wrestling the 8 guy. I wouldn't expect Alton to clam up like he was non-ranked wrestling the 1 or 2 guy.

All your doing is proving my point with your comments, all be it, in an asinine way.

Alton doesn't need time to get in shape, he needs a lung transplant. Stop with that nonsense. Nothing will change.

I hate to say it, but it's true. I know first hand what it's like to deal with these issues. Having asthma and allergies all growing up, I dealt with this all to often. There is no doubt Andrew can hang with, and beat the best in that class in a 1 minute period. But when his tank goes, it goes. There is nothing that can be done. I hope he figures out what it is for his own sake and health.

I can totally understand people wanting to go with Beitz. All I am saying is I'd give Andrew one more shot. That's just me, and I am biased.

Alton doesn't need time to get in shape, he needs a lung transplant. Stop with that nonsense. Nothing will change.

I hate to say it, but it's true. I know first hand what it's like to deal with these issues. Having asthma and allergies all growing up, I dealt with this all to often. There is no doubt Andrew can hang with, and beat the best in that class in a 1 minute period. But when his tank goes, it goes. There is nothing that can be done. I hope he figures out what it is for his own sake and health.

I can totally understand people wanting to go with Beitz. All I am saying is I'd give Andrew one more shot. That's just me, and I am biased.

Biased on what? If your a PSU fan, it shouldn't matter who is out there, as long as it is the best wrestler. In a 3+ period match of NCAA wrestling, Beitz is definitely that guy. Andrew seems to have legitimate health issues that need taken care of. I see no point of letting him go out there and keep getting demoralized buy kids that he is clearly better than. For what it's worth, I am very excited about Beitz moving forward.

Beitz has to be the guy going forward if for no other reason than he can wrestle for two more periods per match than Alton can. He may not have the upside or pin potential, but he gives you a consistent three periods of solid wrestling, and consistency beats rolling the dice any every of the week and twice on Sundays.

D. Alton was doing what he felt he needed to do to win and I commend him for it. He could of clammed up like Kingsley or Zberg to minimize bonus but he didn't. Ness is dangerous and hit a nice move, it happens. I am actually optimistic he AAs this year. On the other hand, Zach Beitz has earned the starting job at 149, imo.

It's posts like this that make today so enjoyable. Dylan Alton gets Bubba'd and loses the dual and the response??? Attack Kingsley, a backup vs a two time finalist, and Zberg, who actually did something to HELP his team win the dual by keeping the MagichahahahahahaMan to a mdec. If it weren't for you Tigs today wouldn't be nearly so awesome!! Please keep posting tonight!!!

I honestly think Andrew's issue is more than one thing, but, I think the weight cut is probably ONE of the things causing his issue. I wonder if they would consider Andrew at 157 next year and Dylan to 165. Pure speculation on my part, but, I'd be curious to see how that would play out.

D. Alton was doing what he felt he needed to do to win and I commend him for it. He could of clammed up like Kingsley or Zberg to minimize bonus but he didn't. Ness is dangerous and hit a nice move, it happens. I am actually optimistic he AAs this year. On the other hand, Zach Beitz has earned the starting job at 149, imo.

It's posts like this that make today so enjoyable. Dylan Alton gets Bubba'd and loses the dual and the response??? Attack Kingsley, a backup vs a two time finalist, and Zberg, who actually did something to HELP his team win the dual by keeping the MagichahahahahahaMan to a mdec. If it weren't for you Tigs today wouldn't be nearly so awesome!! Please keep posting tonight!!!

I love how losing 19-5 is somehow clamming up. LOL!

I honestly think Andrew's issue is more than one thing, but, I think the weight cut is probably ONE of the things causing his issue. I wonder if they would consider Andrew at 157 next year and Dylan to 165. Pure speculation on my part, but, I'd be curious to see how that would play out.

I don't think there is a wrestling fan, coach, or participant that wants to see Andrew Alton try to go to 149 ever again. It's to the point now it's only marginally funny.

I don't think there is a wrestling fan, coach, or participant that wants to see Andrew Alton try to go to 149 ever again. It's to the point now it's only marginally funny.

Yes, I know it is so funny and so much fun for you. I find it a shame, and would feel that way regardless of what uniform he was wearing. For a period and a half, he is as good as anyone, but, then he completely gasses out. I don't know what is causing it, like I said, probably a combination of things, but, it is a shame. Well, not to you, for you it is pure joy. You know you are great when one guy can possess this much hate.

Christ dude I said I don't want him at 49 anymore. What more do you want from me? I'm not joining you guys, I can't stand most of you. I think a little sympathy for the farce that is AA is more than gracious on my part. I could just laugh and laugh for another year. Surely Cael gets him to 57 and I don't have to.

Christ dude I said I don't want him at 49 anymore. What more do you want from me? I'm not joining you guys, I can't stand most of you. I think a little sympathy for the farce that is AA is more than gracious on my part. I could just laugh and laugh for another year.

No big deal. Congrats on your great day as an Iowa fan. Minnesota beat Penn State.....celebrate good times !

Wouldn't happen. For one thing, Dylan's doing just fine at 157. For another, if they bump Dylan to 165, what do they do with Hammond? I see the battle for 149 as being between Beitz and Nolf next year. Maybe Nolf pulls a Retherford/Cox, demolishes everyone at an open, and gets his shirt pulled...

I'll tell you this. I don't expect Nolf to be at Rehterford's level, but, he could be darn close. His improvement is very noticeable. I hope we get to see Nolf vs. Micah Jordan at Dapper Dan. I wouldn't be shocked if Nolf impresses them enough to get his redshirt pulled. We shall see. Beitz has been much better than I expected this year. He needs to grow into the weight and work on his riding, but, he is legit. Should be interesting.

If it helps the team and his brother, I think Dylan would move to 165.

Christ dude I said I don't want him at 49 anymore. What more do you want from me? I'm not joining you guys, I can't stand most of you. I think a little sympathy for the farce that is AA is more than gracious on my part. I could just laugh and laugh for another year. Surely Cael gets him to 57 and I don't have to.

They should put both Alton's at 157 and figure out a way to rotate them in and out between periods of a single bout.

They should put both Alton's at 157 and figure out a way to rotate them in and out between periods of a single bout.

LOL

I'll tell you this. I don't expect Nolf to be at Rehterford's level, but, he could be darn close. His improvement is very noticeable. I hope we get to see Nolf vs. Micah Jordan at Dapper Dan. I wouldn't be shocked if Nolf impresses them enough to get his redshirt pulled. We shall see. Beitz has been much better than I expected this year. He needs to grow into the weight and work on his riding, but, he is legit. Should be interesting.

None of us expected Retherford to be at the level he's at now either. He got his shirt pulled after he blitzed the Binghamton open and Cael decided that he didn't really have any answers at 141 anyways, so why not. Regardless, I don't see Dylan to 65 helping the team since it pushes Hammond out of a spot. Next year 149 will be Beitz or Nolf if he does something really special. Alton has simply shown himself to be too inconsistent to man the starting spot, and over a long season.

Beitz is doing his best and wrestling tough, but bottom line is I do not see him scoring many points come NCAA's.

IF the weight cut is too much for Andrew, why the heck would Cael and the other coaches send him out against Grajales? He made 149 for the few opens he wrestled and did okay and against limited competition. Cael himself said afterwards it was mental with him. Everyone has given up on him, not me. He just needs to get in better shape, and trust his conditioning and mentally know he can go 7 minutes.He needs to relax also.If he had a health condition/problem, no way would he be wrestling now at all.Period. I am not in the wrestling room, so regardless of my thoughts, I trust Cael and his team will make the right decision.

Next week if Zach goes against Kindig and wins, I am 100% on board the Beitz train. If he loses again, I am going to keep promoting Andrew Alton at 149 for PSU. Flame away.

We have a kid here who never did a single unsportsmanlike thing on the mat to anyone and you find pure glee in his troubles. I find your enjoyment of his situation profoundly sad. This says something about your lack of character.

None of us expected Retherford to be at the level he's at now either. He got his shirt pulled after he blitzed the Binghamton open and Cael decided that he didn't really have any answers at 141 anyways, so why not. Regardless, I don't see Dylan to 65 helping the team since it pushes Hammond out of a spot. Next year 149 will be Beitz or Nolf if he does something really special. Alton has simply shown himself to be too inconsistent to man the starting spot, and over a long season.

What do you mean NONE OF US expected Retherford to be at the level he's at now!!?? Are you serious? Pretty damn sure one of us has been saying this since before the season began.

Tbar-Does this mean we can't be friends anymore? Get Alton to a proper weight or in shape or a heart transplant or whatever and I've got nothing to find pure glee in buddy.

Its a shame to see all the hate thrown at the Altons, especially Andrew Alton.

A Alton should get the starting spot if he can beat out Beitz as of Big 10s. Period. I'm astounded at how many people would sideline AA, even if he can beat out Beitz. Who cares if he gasses in the 3rd more than Beitz does, if he ultimately puts more points on the scoreboard relative to his opponent after 7 minutes? Its not a style contest.

It also seems as though people forget that AA is coming back from an injury. It takes time to get one's lungs back, and its only going to bet better with time -- so odds are that AA will have improved more in a month's time (pre-NCAAs) than Beitz. And if the injury made it harder to keep his weight under control too, then that too will improve his cardio as he get the ship righted over the next few weeks.

I'm not saying Alton will suddenly be a 3-period wrestler by March. But his make-up has always been more geared toward explosiveness over endurance anyway -- that is, even in peak shape, he'll always put more points on the scoreboard in the 1st than in the 3rd. But so what? The kid still wins. Even with his current sub-par cardio, he only has one loss on the season. And that one loss came down to the wire, and in fact would've gone the other way had AA's last move (where Grajales was in on a single and Alton rolled him through to his back, holding him there for 7 seconds) not been stopped as PD. Had the ref not stopped that move, the threads would be talking about A Alton as a potential NCAA champ, not urging Cael to toss him to the sidelines in favor of Beitz. Think about it.

You have to figure Alton is more apt to score more ponits at NCAAs too. With Beitz, realistically you can't hope for more than one or two wins at NCAAs. But if Altong gets even some of his lungs back after 5-6 weeks of running and sprinting between now and NCAAs, he's a risk to go deep into the tournament. And even if he doesn't, he'll probably put more points on the board for PSU by scoring bonus in a win or two.

All that said, if Beitz can beat out Alton in a best-of-3 series at eve of B1Gs, then fine, give Beitz the spot. But the chatter about sidelining Alton just because you don't like seeing him gass in the 3rd period is ridiculous. Good thing you guys aren't on the coaching staff.

BAC-The problem with AA is he is the easiest guy in college wrestling to game plan for. Beitz is worse but he's tougher to beat. It's weird to say that knowing AA is much more talented than Beitz. If AA's problems went away then he'd be the easy choice but right now he's too easy to plan for and beat.