Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Beitz match screws PSU

..... Then, one match later, Ness feigns a flee, and then does a spectacular monkey jump for a takedown, but the ref calls him for stalling. He got the application of the rule right, but the interpretation of the situation wrong!

That's the call that chapped my butt. Ness goes out of the circle on the kick out, then does the monkey jump to land on Alton (who never left the circle), then after all that has happened the ref blows his whistle and indicates stalling....but doesn't give points for a reversal or escape/takedown. Fortunately, Ness must have had that "if you kick his ass the ref won't screw ya" coach.

This is extremely frustrating! For the last umpteen years, refs have refused to call fleeing the mat in those situations (Beitz/Dard) when it would clearly make the sport more exciting. Now, a ref calls it exactly the way he should have, but because of the rule change, he screws it up! Then, one match later, Ness feigns a flee, and then does a spectacular monkey jump for a takedown, but the ref calls him for stalling. He got the application of the rule right, but the interpretation of the situation wrong!

I don't expect refs to get ever call right and I can absolutely deal with potentially match altering mistakes. I just wish the NCAA refs would emphasize that fleeing a hold at the edge of the mat will be punished appropriately to discourage it.

It was the monkey jump that got him the stall warning.

The grapes, they are sour.

Man, you're not kidding. These guys don't quit with their whining, do they? One minute they're talking about this being the best team ever, the next trying to justify why they just lost. Sheesh.

Penny I'm a freestyle guy and I support some variation of a push out rule to take the subjectivity out of all this. I also think they should do away with leg holding as riding altogether- maybe call an escape and reset in the ankle holding position. Radical changes maybe, but people running out of bounds and riding by just hanging on to stuff really decrease potential scoring IMO.

Man, you're not kidding. These guys don't quit with their whining, do they? One minute they're talking about this being the best team ever, the next trying to justify why they just lost. Sheesh.

I haven't tried to justify jack. The only reason I posted responses is because of jack wagons like the two in this post I am responding to.

Facts, ref screwed the pooch. The screw up directly impacted the outcome of the individual match and the dual meet.

Everything you clowns keep uttering is subjective rationalizations attempting to downplay the significance of the call.

The match was an outstanding match, and close and competitive enough one misapplied rule had that much of an impact.

You can not participate in that conversation, it is too much fun to rejoice in Penn State losing a dual.

As far as Vak - hard to believe freaking Hawkeye wrestling fans would have fallen so far they no longer rejoice in their team's accomplishments, but instead need to gather their joy from wrestling in the distinct, but generally rare moments of Nittany Lion fails.

I haven't tried to justify jack. The only reason I posted responses is because of jack wagons like the two in this post I am responding to.

Facts, ref screwed the pooch. The screw up directly impacted the outcome of the individual match and the dual meet.

Everything you clowns keep uttering is subjective rationalizations attempting to downplay the significance of the call.

The match was an outstanding match, and close and competitive enough one misapplied rule had that much of an impact.

You can not participate in that conversation, it is too much fun to rejoice in Penn State losing a dual.

As far as Vak - hard to believe freaking Hawkeye wrestling fans would have fallen so far they no longer rejoice in their team's accomplishments, but instead need to gather their joy from wrestling in the distinct, but generally rare moments of Nittany Lion fails.

+1

nitlion60: Take it in stride. Certain Iowa posters entered the "Whining Hall of Fame" when Stieber beat Ramos in the NCAA Finals last year.

Take it as the ultimate compliment. Iowa fans and some fans of other programs could barely contain their joy after a Penn State loss. It is an awesome compliment. When there is this much hate, you know you are great !

Take it as the ultimate compliment. Iowa fans and some fans of other programs could barely contain their joy after a Penn State loss. It is an awesome compliment. When there is this much hate, you know you are great !

+++++++++++ PENN STATE ++++++++++++

:D

I have nothing against PSU at all. I have two close friends that wrestled there, one that recently trained at the NLWC, and my son has attended Cael's camps. I also love the way a few of their guys wrestle, and think that there are some programs out there that could learn a thing or two from the PSU mindset of scoring, scoring, scoring.

My post is directed at the boorish fans of the program, that simply can't accept that you're going to lose from time to time. That there is talent spread all over the country, and the wrestling world doesn't end at the PA border.

As my old college coach used to say, "those guys are on scholarships too".

This is extremely frustrating! For the last umpteen years, refs have refused to call fleeing the mat in those situations (Beitz/Dard) when it would clearly make the sport more exciting. Now, a ref calls it exactly the way he should have, but because of the rule change, he screws it up! Then, one match later, Ness feigns a flee, and then does a spectacular monkey jump for a takedown, but the ref calls him for stalling. He got the application of the rule right, but the interpretation of the situation wrong!

I don't expect refs to get ever call right and I can absolutely deal with potentially match altering mistakes. I just wish the NCAA refs would emphasize that fleeing a hold at the edge of the mat will be punished appropriately to discourage it.

I just watched the Ness match from DVR and I was incorrect in my assessment. They were both completely out of bounds when Ness jumped back in. It was still awesome, but correctly called as stalling.

NJ, you are so off kilter it isn't funny. We know that Penn State can and will lose at times. We accept that. We also know there are great, no, GREAT, wrestlers elsewhere. We just have pride in what we have here in PA.

:D :D

How am I off kilter? PSU loses to Minnesota, and every excuse and complaint and whine in the book comes out. PSU fans act as though no bad calls have ever occurred in any other sporting event.

They justify by "we lost, but it was senior day, at Minnesota, and the ref screwed us". Did I just imagine those posts? You're likely the biggest PA fanboy of them all. You start random threads about PA HS kids, ("so and so is really good this year...") for no apparent reason.

Odd dude.

NJ, Pennsylvania wrestling fans are just like every other group of wrestling fans except in one way, they actually show up to support wrestling in greater numbers. Iowa is right there with them.

>

Here is New Jersey.

If you are going to tee them up like this then I have to swing. Have a nice day. :D

TBar Are you talking just in terms of college wrestling attendance? If so, what do the other 10+ schools in PA draw per dual? There is more to PA wrestling than just Penn State.

Iowa draws about 7-10,000 per match. I think UNI has been having sell outs this season, not sure how many their site holds. IA ST has a good fan following, but again unsure of numbers. Just to give a comparison. I know IA is a smaller sample size due to it only having 3 schools.

Now if you were only speaking of the Iowa and Penn State programs, I think Iowa set the standard for fan following in college wrestling. What Penn State has built in following is great for them and the sport, but Iowa is still the standard program when it comes to fan following IMO.

NJ, Pennsylvania wrestling fans are just like every other group of wrestling fans except in one way, they actually show up to support wrestling in greater numbers. Iowa is right there with them.

>

Here is New Jersey.

If you are going to tee them up like this then I have to swing. Have a nice day. :D

What in the world is that supposed to mean? NJ wrestling doesn't draw fans? Huh? Come check out Boardwalk Hall in a few weeks, and make that claim again. Stick to pointing out that future D1 wrestlers are really good at the HS level, that's more your speed champ.

TBar Are you talking just in terms of college wrestling attendance? If so, what do the other 10+ schools in PA draw per dual? There is more to PA wrestling than just Penn State.

I am just referring to the states themselves. PA is a great wrestling state and this fact has gotten to NJ many times as exhibited by his posts here AND in the high school forums. He has a burr up his saddle and it comes out from time to time with some crazy ad hominem attack on all PA high school or all Penn State fans.

What in the world is that supposed to mean? NJ wrestling doesn't draw fans? Huh? Come check out Boardwalk Hall in a few weeks, and make that claim again. Stick to pointing out that future D1 wrestlers are really good at the HS level, that's more your speed champ.

Yada, yada, yada. You insulted the entire fanbase, so I threw it back at you just for kicks, and to show you how stupid your comment was. At least I included a smiley face. :D

As a statement of fact, I have no problem with all New Jersey residents, just the immature ones. :D

I am just referring to the states themselves. PA is a great wrestling state and this fact has gotten to NJ many times as exhibited by his posts here AND in the high school forums. He has a burr up his saddle and it comes out from time to time with some crazy ad hominem attack on all PA high school or all Penn State fans.

Ah Ic... wasn't aware of the history between the two of ya.

Ah Ic... wasn't aware of the history between the two of ya.

It isn't really between the two of us so much as its between NJWC and all PA wrestling fans. I'm just the one that took up the mantle today ... because I was around and its a slow day.

the ref is obviously 100% at fault here and with the video review there should be no way that call could stick... so congrats to penn state for wrestling like $hit and still beating minnesota

I have never seen a video review system that automatically pulls up the applicable page of the rulebook.

+1