Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Retherford

One of the things that impresses me most about him is that he's as good as anybody at clearing ties.

I was kinda' worried about the match with Dardanes because he is so physical that I thought Retherford would get pushed around. But he was able to consistently clear the ties and neutralize Dardanes strength advantage.

Hell of a leg ride. Does he score a lot of back points with the legs in?

You already know the answer to this question is no. You are fishing here.

snapinscore, the correct answer isn't really "no", it is "not yet".

So the answer to the question is no. He is Dake 2.0. Crazy good rider, without the turns.

So the answer to the question is no. He is Dake 2.0. Crazy good rider, without the turns.

My view of Zain is that if he wanted to throw caution to the wind I think he'd get more turns, but he could also lose control and get reversed or thrown off. I think he is concentrating on not giving up control right now, which for him at his size and maturation level appears smart.

He looks better than Dake if you ask me!

I dunno - I saw Dake hit a body lock and throw a returning AA to his back in Dake's first match in college - but yeah, Retherford looks pretty darn good!

Yeah, and Alex Krom was no pipsqueak.

And to think I was upset when I heard he was not going to RS this year. He is by far exceeding mine and many's expectations. He is so solid and cool when he wrestles, and he is good in all positions.

Understandably. We all got cheated out of Zain and Cox for LMS :lol:

There is no doubt about it this kid is dam good.

But, we all bitch and say we want action and the leg ride he is doing seems like he should have more majors etc , myself I believe he should be warned about stalling I have seen him now about 4 times and every time same deal but never has even come close to turning the bottom man..

Just my opinion but make him at least try to turn not just clam both legs in and sit and pretend like working the arms .

They will never warn a guy for stalling if he has a leg in and a power half. It's a turning combo. The ref call a stalemate if neither guy is able to improve. But that is not a stall ride. And if he flattens the guy to the mat the onus is on the bottom guy to work up.

There is no doubt about it this kid is dam good.

But, we all bitch and say we want action and the leg ride he is doing seems like he should have more majors etc , myself I believe he should be warned about stalling I have seen him now about 4 times and every time same deal but never has even come close to turning the bottom man..

Just my opinion but make him at least try to turn not just clam both legs in and sit and pretend like working the arms .

The kid has won more than half his matches with bonus this year.

Wins 24

Pins 4

TF5 2

MAJ 7

Jordan Stalliver, anyone? How quickly we forget. Oliver turned into an action packed point scoring juggernaut. It is really, really hard to compete as a freshman let alone be undefeated in a weight with a returning 2x champ. He is something special, but a LARGE portion of his success comes from, what I perceive as, BRUTE strength. He appears stronger than everyone he wrestles as a true freshman. If he can maintain a healthy weight, he will continue to get better and better as time goes on.

Though I agree with most of what you have said,MSU158, I couldn't disagree more with you saying Retherford wins because of brute strength. My observation has been quite the opposite. I would argue his winning can be attributed much more to technique, unshakable determination, and a brilliant wrestling strategy. He understands what he is good at, and is unwavering in his approach. He understands how to put himself in the best position to win, and does not allow the pressures of the match, or external pressures (keyboard warriors) to dictate the means he utilizes to achieve his desired ends. I have yet to to see him muscle anyone around in a tie. In fact, I consistently catch myself pondering on how easy it would be for him to make 133. FYI, I am under the impression that it would not be much of a struggle.

Though I agree with most of what you have said,MSU158, I couldn't disagree more with you saying Retherford wins because of brute strength. My observation has been quite the opposite. I would argue his winning can be attributed much more to technique, unshakable determination, and a brilliant wrestling strategy. He understands what he is good at, and is unwavering in his approach. He understands how to put himself in the best position to win, and does not allow the pressures of the match, or external pressures (keyboard warriors) to dictate the means he utilizes to achieve his desired ends. I have yet to to see him muscle anyone around in a tie. In fact, I consistently catch myself pondering on how easy it would be for him to make 133. FYI, I am under the impression that it would not be much of a struggle.

I think you are misinterpreting MSU (or maybe I am). I don't think he's saying that Retherford has poor technique. Retherford takes good shots in good position and finishes crisply. What I believe MSU is saying (and what I believe) is that you can't finish shots that easily on top flight competition or keep veteran wrestlers underneath using Retherford's simple tactics without ridiculous strength. Retherford is a little guy so he doesn't have much leverage, but he must have freakish strength.

You can have all the determination in the world, but if you don't have the strength it doesn't mean s***.