Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Ness: Most exciting wrestler alive today!

If Ness wins the Big Tens beating lets say Murphy, Green and St john en route I would find it hard for them to seed Ness below Green and St John. 1. Dierenger, 2. Ness, 3. Green, 4. St John. Then he would only have to beat two of them to win a title. Just using that as an example, not saying i think it will occur.

another scenerio(ie Storley's big ten tourny last year) is Green comes to Big Tens with a perfect record and drops an early match to Alton, then loses to Ness in wrestle backs and finds himself wrestling for 5th at Big Tens and then his NCAA seed drops.

I agree that yes at this point in time what you are saying appears like a likely possibility, but that might change due to the Big Ten tourny.

That one was impressive, but I thought his pin of Sueflohn was more impressive. The positions that Ness is willing to put himself in to lock that cement job in are incredible:

He was planning it right from the whistle, violating just about every move in the book to lock it in from bottom. Sick.

He is a throwback wrestler. Reminds me of Randy Lewis in his ability to hit big moves to the back and his desire to throw all caution to the wind against anyone and go for broke. I wouldn't want to be his coach, but he is incredibly entertaining.

Good comparison right there, also Chiaparelli would do the crazy $hit like that. He's going to be real pain in the a$$ for everyone come NCAAs. People have seen him do this enough now, they aren't going to want to shoot in too much. Which means that Ness is free to carry out his gameplan.

+ 2

Very apt description: Dylan "Throwback" Ness .. :)

He is a throwback wrestler. Reminds me of Randy Lewis in his ability to hit big moves to the back and his desire to throw all caution to the wind against anyone and go for broke. I wouldn't want to be his coach, but he is incredibly entertaining.

Good comparison right there, also Chiaparelli would do the crazy $hit like that.

I noticed Gibbons called what most people call Ness' elevator a "Rico Roll" - was that named after Chiaparelli?

The first guy I saw hit this move was Wade Schalles at the 1972 NCAA tournament. Truly where the head goes the body will follow. I think I remember a guy countering by dropping his hips to stop the elevator. Guy doing the throw did a hip heist while on his butt, and still got the pin. Between Ness with "sommersault headchancer as i call it, and Storley hitting two whizzers to put Matt Brown on his back tece was extremely enjoyable as I've been teaching those two moves for several years to junior high and high school kids.

The first guy I saw hit this move was Wade Schalles at the 1972 NCAA tournament. Truly where the head goes the body will follow. I think I remember a guy countering by dropping his hips to stop the elevator. Guy doing the throw did a hip heist while on his butt, and still got the pin. Between Ness with "sommersault headchancer as i call it, and Storley hitting two whizzers to put Matt Brown on his back tece was extremely enjoyable as I've been teaching those two moves for several years to junior high and high school kids.

Check out the second link I posted on this thread: Ness pinning Sueflohn. Ness hits this move from bottom that time. Off the whistle, he does a sit out of sorts to grab the head, then goes to his own back to adjust the hold and get the underhook, then tucks his feet under himself and pulls himself up with the cowcatcher, then goes to his butt as you mentioned and hits the elevator with a hip heist to get the stick.

By the way, he's doing all this in the finals of the B1G, when everyone else is trying to get a small lead and then defend until time runs out.

Vak...you think he can beat Green? St John again? Dieringer? I think this will be the 4 semi-finalists.

I don't think he'll have to beat all three, but yes, I think he will beat them. In the match he beat St. John, it's not like he just hit that elevator and that was all he did. He was in on St. John's legs repeatedly in the first period including getting the only TD of the match. He could have trouble if he gets caught under St. John again since he struggled mightily there, but Green isn't much of a rider. Dieringer is an interesting match up. I just think ness is going to win. Be advised I have a bit of a soft spot for the Ness brothers, both personal non-Hawkeye favorites of mine. I think I picked Dylan to win or come in 2nd last year at 149 and when Jayson beat Dan Dennis in the NCAA, I was the most mixed I've ever felt about a match, I think.

Ness and Dieringer know each other very well.. the matches have always been exciting and close, with Dieringer having success lately winning last 3 meetings. Dieringer has seen his street move before, but it was unsuccessful...check out about 1 minute mark.

annoucer... none other than Shane Sparks

It has to very frustrating to get into what is considered a solid wrestling position only to get flung to your back. Alton, St. John, Sueflohn, these are really good wrestlers getting trapped by this. I think Green is probably Ness' worse matchup out of the higher ranked guys. He can finish so fast that Dylan may end up on his own back if he tries this move. Also, I have noticed that when everyone starts talking about something in sport, that tends to have a neutralizing affect. Ness has the capability to finish very high this year but I'm in MSU's camp that I don't see him riding this move to a national championship. That being said, he should still be fun to follow in the post season. Very exciting wrestler indeed.

I've also watched the Ness/ Alton video about 15 times. Ness is definitely interesting to watch. There's definitely a lot of Wade Schalles in that move with the "killer half" cupping the chin and raising the head toward the chest with additional outward rotation of the chin for extra pain. Alton is a stud to fight it off for as long as he did.

A lot of people seem to think that he's a one-trick pony here, but Ness is quite innovative in many ways and he's good in all positions. The old Dieringer match is interesting in that the whole story changes if Ness doesn't try to get cute. He missed a big move and ended up in trouble, but if he had wrestled more conservatively, he looked better in all positions.