Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

Schiller

You realize you started this thread to bag on the kid, right?

Compared to what the Alton boys are getting around here lately, Ryan's post seems as if he's at least giving Schiller the courtesy of a reach around.

Purely speculating tho...

Overrated? No absolutely not. 4 AA's from 197 last year (counting Schiller) returned this year and Schiller had wins over all 3 of the remaining AA's this year. He was also undefeated until yesterday and had bonus pts in 16 of his 25 matches this season. All the loss to MM proves is that 197 is wide open still which is what people have said was the case all season to begin with.

I think Cox will win it as well, his learning curve is ridiculous. I don't think he'll have an issue thumping MM again come March.

On a side note, MM looked HUGE against Schiller. He definitely looks like a full sized 197 - does anyone still think he should be a 184 if it wasn't for Ruth???

Not gonna lie, this result shocks me. I really thought Schiller was not only the man to beat, but distancing himself from the pack. Maybe McIntosh had a bad day at the Scuffle, it happens. Clearly, any of the top 4 could win it. I like J'den's chances to make the semis - from there its a crap shoot.

This result surprised me as well. I felt Schiller was the most improved AA from last season and was a clear #1 at this weight. One thing that stands out from yesterday is that McIntosh wrestled without the arm brace for the first time since he started wearing it in late November/early December. Maybe he is just now getting to 100%?

Overrated? No absolutely not. 4 AA's from 197 last year (counting Schiller) returned this year and Schiller had wins over all 3 of the remaining AA's this year. He was also undefeated until yesterday and had bonus pts in 16 of his 25 matches this season. All the loss to MM proves is that 197 is wide open still which is what people have said was the case all season to begin with.

Agreed ^ So Ryan by your logic is Logan Steiber overrated too? Both only have one loss to somewhat unproven guys, at least by two guys who I would put at the same level.

One thing that stands out from yesterday is that McIntosh wrestled without the arm brace for the first time since he started wearing it in late November/early December. Maybe he is just now getting to 100%?

Excellent observation! I totally missed that.

The match with Schiller was night and day from the one with Cox, where McIntosh could not get in on the legs, let alone finish, and could not get out from bottom in the quarter-final match I saw. The 3rd place match which I didn't see was even worse.

It was night and day different but you're comparing apples to oranges. Anyway, two things. One, I like Cox to win this weight too. I think Kyven is his worst matchup and if he avoids him he's fine. Two, MM kicked the s**t out of SS. Period. End of story. If the rest of the PSU team had come to wrestle like MM did they win that dual easy yesterday. But they didn't, so they lost.

Was nice to see MM open up and really get his offense going. Thought Schiller wasnt nearly as aggressive as I've seen him earlier this year.

I still think MM is small for the weight. Especially when he wrestled Cox. I think he is nearly unstoppable if he goes 184 next year.

McIntosh looked like a significantly better wrestler than the opponent yesterday. The arm brace observation may be key here. I know I'm 1/2 the pig farmer I am when my hernias act up. Injuries can be debilitating and that may have been a huge factor in to why MM is not undefeated this season. B1Gs should be outstanding in the 197 lbs weight class and will go a long way to sorting things out.

McIntosh wrestled a terrific match and his style really seemed to give Schiller trouble. It seemed, though, as if Schiller countered poorly and gave away position repeatedly. Seems correctable.

Same could be said for the normally superb Matt Brown in his bout with Storley.

McIntosh is certainly in the hunt at 197 but I wouldn't yet call his likelihood of winning a "strong chance." Schiller may have been top ranked but no one was confusing him with Kilgore and Wright from a year ago. This weight is wide open with guys like Cox, Rutt and the emerging Heflin all having something to say about the outcome.

I think Cox will win it as well, his learning curve is ridiculous. I don't think he'll have an issue thumping MM again come March.

On a side note, MM looked HUGE against Schiller. He definitely looks like a full sized 197 - does anyone still think he should be a 184 if it wasn't for Ruth???

I will admit MacIntosh looks bigger but not huge for 197. He has stated recently that he has been walking around at 199/200lbs since with the elbow injury he has not been able to lift.

Schiller owns a win over him MM's true freshman year when he was a 184lber bumping up for the team. I still think his best wt is 184 and he would be a beast! We just need a true 197 lber to show up on campus soon. Say....Tanner Hall!!