Sign in to follow this  
huntandfishISU

Grajales vs Grothus

I really believe that Grajales will AA this year and take 2nd or 3rd at the BIG 10's. He'll beat Grothus the next time they wrestle.

What's interesting to note here, is that Grajales could have more losses this year than he has ever had in a season.

He already has 8 losses as it is, compared to 7 losses total last year and 8 losses total as a sophomore. I highly doubt he goes undefeated the remainder of the season. He had 14 losses as a freshman, and while I hope he doesn't lose another 6 times, he could.

I love the way he wrestles, and feel that he has been going harder than ever during his matches. He's going so hard that he is completely wearing himself out. Something that the critics never take into consideration when crying about his conditioning levels. You go 100%, 100% of the time, you will get tired.

This may, in the end work out in Grajales favor. By the time BIG 10's role around, his conditioning may finally be on track (he hasn't always wrestled go-go-go-go like he has this year).

Never the less, it'll be very interesting if he ends up doing very well at the BIG 10's and NCAA's, considering his overall record was better over the last 2 years.

I wouldn't even venture a guess on what Grajales will do. He could easily go 0-2. He is one of the more entertaining guys to watch but not in a good, sound, fundamental, wrestling sort of way. More like in a painful, train wreck, can't look away, Andrew Alton sort of way, but entertaining nonetheless.

I wouldn't even venture a guess on what Grajales will do. He could easily go 0-2. He is one of the more entertaining guys to watch but not in a good, sound, fundamental, wrestling sort of way. More like in a painful, train wreck, can't look away, Andrew Alton sort of way, but entertaining nonetheless.

I don't know. I just know that I enjoy watching a guy that is constantly trying to score at all times. Conservative defensive wrestling is effective and often gives guys the W. However, it's also boring. Sure being open and taking all those risk sometimes gets you caught on your back (vs Grothos) but it's also exciting and entertaining.

Mark my word, Grajales style could end up paying off huge at the BIG 10's or the NCAA's. So many guys at those tournaments wrestle so tight and they are expecting everyone else to wrestle tight too. Grajales could catch them off guard with his non-stop attack.

Then again, it could get him caught on his back again.

I just watched this match. Looked to me that Grajales had a take down in OT and that Grothus only grabbed the leg AFTER being taken down. Grajales should have won right there.
It looked like to me that they missed a couple sets of backpoints that Grothus should have had in regulation. This match should have never went to overtime.

Racciato is a bad matchup for Grajales because he's another guy that goes hard all of the time, but has a great gas tank. If you you drop your guard for one second he will catch you like in his match against Kindig.

I really believe that Grajales will AA this year and take 2nd or 3rd at the BIG 10's. He'll beat Grothus the next time they wrestle.

What's interesting to note here, is that Grajales could have more losses this year than he has ever had in a season.

He already has 8 losses as it is, compared to 7 losses total last year and 8 losses total as a sophomore. I highly doubt he goes undefeated the remainder of the season. He had 14 losses as a freshman, and while I hope he doesn't lose another 6 times, he could.

I love the way he wrestles, and feel that he has been going harder than ever during his matches. He's going so hard that he is completely wearing himself out. Something that the critics never take into consideration when crying about his conditioning levels. You go 100%, 100% of the time, you will get tired.

This may, in the end work out in Grajales favor. By the time BIG 10's role around, his conditioning may finally be on track (he hasn't always wrestled go-go-go-go like he has this year).

Never the less, it'll be very interesting if he ends up doing very well at the BIG 10's and NCAA's, considering his overall record was better over the last 2 years.

I just have to stop you there,...the reason he gasses, is not because he is working harder, but because either he has a physical reason for less stamina, or he is out of shape. In the Sueflohn match, and also in his next competition, his eyes were glassy, and he was sucking for air after 1 period, and if the officials don't basically ignore his tactics of slowly getting back to center, or not getting in referee position top or bottom when he is asked to ask quick as the rules require, he would get stalled out. I like watching him, and he has some skills, especially being dangerous in neutral, with throws, but he has gotten a lot of leeway from officials in the matches I watched. In the Alton match, I thought both wrestlers needed to be called for stalling more than they were.

Loved McDonough's commentary on Grajales. I thought McD would rip a guy like him apart, but he clearly had a healthy respect for what Grajales has to offer. He talked about him fooling everyone "playing possum," then exploding.

Say what you want, but Grajales went as hard as Grothus in OT, and I thought he had the TD twice. Otis may be correct about missed back points though.

I just watched this match. Looked to me that Grajales had a take down in OT and that Grothus only grabbed the leg AFTER being taken down. Grajales should have won right there.

Hey TBar maybe most of you Penn State fans should talk to Mike Allen and get your shirt and whistle>

Crazy match. TD at the end of regulation was iffy but in the spirit of the new rules. I was fine with the rest of the calls, save the fact that the Iowa coaches should have been given multiple warnings and possibly a penalty for violating control of mat area and running onto the mat.

That was one of the best matches of the season. Craziness right from the whistle to the very end. In all seriousness, Grajales must be getting in pretty decent shape by now in the season to wrestle an entire match like that. Anybody would've been winded after all that action, and Grothus was clearly not fresh either by OT.

I really believe that Grajales will AA this year and take 2nd or 3rd at the BIG 10's. He'll beat Grothus the next time

No and, no.

And he doesnt go 100% the entire time either. He has spurts but never all the time, please. His ride is the biggest stall ride of anyone in the NCAAs. Sitting on an ankle and half azz chops at the arms is not a turn attempt. He does his fair share of stalling throughout a match, he just hits the nitrous button at oppurtune moments, which he IS very good at. He just doesnt have a good enough offense or enough gas to last into the late rounds of the NCAA tourny grind. No way he AA, his track record in tournaments speak for itself. I know i sound a bit harsh, but its just how it is.

I really believe that Grajales will AA this year and take 2nd or 3rd at the BIG 10's. He'll beat Grothus the next time

No and, no.

And he doesnt go 100% the entire time either. He has spurts but never all the time, please. His ride is the biggest stall ride of anyone in the NCAAs. Sitting on an ankle and half azz chops at the arms is not a turn attempt. He does his fair share of stalling throughout a match, he just hits the nitrous button at oppurtune moments, which he IS very good at. He just doesnt have a good enough offense or enough gas to last into the late rounds of the NCAA tourny grind. No way he AA, his track record in tournaments speak for itself. I know i sound a bit harsh, but its just how it is.

Agreed. He's not sound enough and gives up too many points

I am so irritated! So I DVR'd the Michigan-Iowa match the other day, and I go to watch it today, and a darn movie taped instead?! It says college wrestling on DVR, yet it taped Robocop??? And there are no more replays, I was excited to watch the dual and especially Grajales-Grothus. Stupid comcast DVR. So confused what happened.

No and, no.

Because he took 7th place after a bad tournament at the BIG 10's last year? He took 2nd at the BIG 10's as a freshman and then 3rd at a sophomore. Not to mention that he took 6th at a loaded CKLV and 2nd at the Midlands tournament this year. He was also 1 match away from AA as a freshman and as a sophomore. His track record proves that he most certainly CAN place at major tournaments. Whether he will or not is another story.

I don't know. I just know that I enjoy watching a guy that is constantly trying to score at all times. Conservative defensive wrestling is effective and often gives guys the W. However, it's also boring. Sure being open and taking all those risk sometimes gets you caught on your back (vs Grothos) but it's also exciting and entertaining.

Mark my word, Grajales style could end up paying off huge at the BIG 10's or the NCAA's. So many guys at those tournaments wrestle so tight and they are expecting everyone else to wrestle tight too. Grajales could catch them off guard with his non-stop attack.

Then again, it could get him caught on his back again.

I would enjoy watching him if he was in good enough to wrestle hard for a whole match but right now not so much. He definitely has talent but as someone else posted he could very well go 0-2.

It looked like to me that they missed a couple sets of backpoints that Grothus should have had in regulation. This match should have never went to overtime.

Finally got a chance to watch this. Crazy to say the least. That official may have handled that more poorly than the Beitz-Dardanes match.

I felt that Grothus should've had two sets of 2pt nearfalls during regulation that he wasnt awarded. And the sequence in the third period where the ref awarded two refersals and a set of backs while the two didnt really change position that much was baffling.