Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Steiber / Retherford II -- B1G Tourney

How much longer before the hype/debate/analysis begins? I'm ready for it.

All due respect to some of the other great head-to-head matchups that will occur at the B1G tourney, but I see no other bouts as big or bigger than Steiber/Retherford II until Friday of Nationals. Let me know if I am missing one.

Retherford is better and more confident than he was in the OSU/PSU dual, but Stieber will be more focused and motivated from the opening whistle this time around.

This isn't Dake/Taylor, but I am pumped for it.

I hate that Port wrestles neither of these guys until NCAAs. Gives him a decided advantage in the seeding/brackets.

I cant think of a more anticipated matchup.

How will Stieber react to the first match? And can Retherford repeat the upset.

Gotta think Stieber is still the favorite based on his history.

I personally didnt think he looked a bit off that day. Didnt seem to have much fire. The re-match will be fun.

Before their first match, I had Stieber by major with a 50/50 shot at a stick.

Since then, Retherford has surpassed even my wildest expectations and Stieber has wrestled like crap (relative to his abilities). If it weren't for this setup, the match would not be nearly as interesting, but the fact that Retherford seems to be getting better while Stieber seems to be getting worse makes this the match I most want to see at B1G.

I still like Stieber, but I would not be surprised at all by a more convincing Retherford win. If Stieber is not in his usual tournament shape, I could see Retherford keeping it to two points until the third and then pouring it on for the win in the third. But I think Stieber scores first and controls the pace of the match to win without giving up the lead.

I personally didnt think he looked a bit off that day. Didnt seem to have much fire. The re-match will be fun.

The his history with Retherford is 0-1 :lol:

True. And i hope his future is 0-2, then 0-3. But his history is also that of 2X champ. Cant forget about that because of one loss.

True. And i hope his future is 0-2, then 0-3. But his history is also that of 2X champ. Cant forget about that because of one loss.

2X champ *

Corrected. :D

I'm more interested in how 157, 174 and HWT play out from the semis on, and I think I'll probably enjoy watching Delgado-Megaludis VII (I think that's right) from an action standpoint, but this is the "biggest match" of the tournament, IMO.

I've got to agree with Vak,...Stieber/Rutherford is down my list of anticipated matches.

174, especially a matchup of Kokesh/Storley is tops

157, ...the whole bracket

HWT,...the semis and finals

I think Green vs DSJ or Ness will be more exciting especially if Stieber wins because it could determine the B1G team winner. DSJ and Ness in semis to Green should be exciting no dis to other 157s

Also Green DSJ was wrestling. Retherford vs Stieber was only exciting because it went to OT. Retherford is excellent but his propensity to wrestle like Howe could hurt him. Dwieza, probable 4 , wrestled him close 4-2 but I did not see match so it could have been a low score blow out that Zain is already notorious for

It will be interesting to see how B1G handles a 16-1 2X BiG and NCAA winner with a 4-2 sv loss to 24-0 Retherford

I also agree that after Sun.157, 174 and hwt are the more exciting wgts. Also McIntosh Schiller now looks promising