Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

World Cup in LA

Do we know who our team will be? Also nice to see it advertised! One thing I noticed that surely must be a mistake below? Surely Armenia must be mistaken for Azerbaijan correct?

The top 10 teams in the world competing will be Armenia, Georgia, India, Iran, Japan, Mongolia, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine and the United States. Nations were invited based upon final team standings at the 2013 World Championships.

I may try to attend this! Awesome that it is here!

Cuba was in the top 10 from last years Worlds but dropped out (no idea why but I can guess politics and/or lack of funds). The info pdf from the FILA website (my only source of info) said Azerbaijan was going to replace Cuba but now it looks like it's going to be Japan. the other 9 teams were all top 10 finishers by the FILA point system.

This is going to be a sad event (compared to the World Cup in Iran last year that had 13,000 people in attendance). Poor advertising. I have a group of people who wanted to go with me, but we don't know anything about the event, nor is there a way to get tickets right now. Now the event is a month away and we are not attending. This is the opposite of the NCAA's, which sells out a year in advance.

This is going to be a sad event (compared to the World Cup in Iran last year that had 13,000 people in attendance). Poor advertising. I have a group of people who wanted to go with me, but we don't know anything about the event, nor is there a way to get tickets right now. Now the event is a month away and we are not attending. This is the opposite of the NCAA's, which sells out a year in advance.

Might want to check the front page.

Might want to check the front page.

Well, they just did that release. Waiting until 5 weeks before the event, pretty poor planning for an international event.

The Forum didn't have any information on this event until now (I know, I called them last week and the reps were clueless about the World Cup).

Just rumors on russian blogs. Seems realistic though with weights giving him an extra 4-5 lbsand that he can not beat his training partner Gazymazov. From what I could tell they both are wrestling through 2016. We will see soon enough. We would win 189 pretty easily I think like he did in 11 and 12.

I don't know about handily, he did have some close ones esp that one against the Russian where they gave his exposure and a five count while he was being cradled. The Lashgari match went down to the wire also. I thought his Olympic match vs Turkey was pretty close too but might be wrong on that one.

Nevertheless huge fan of him and Gayzumov hope they do both go to next worlds.

He gets an additional 5 lbs now. He should be at 189.75. He will not beat Gazymazov. He never has been able to. He is in a bad place trying to take your long time training parnter out at the next weight up. Ask Lawal how that worked for him. They are very close but close won't get you the spot. He is an Olympic and world champ with a good shot at 189 to repeat and be a multi time champ through 2016. He is not that big where 189 is just to much. I like AZE team and with him or Gazymazov out there team is not the same.

Ok first off sharifov is very big for 189. Second, sharifov and gazyumov do not train together all the time. Sharifov trains in Dagestan and gazyumov trains in Ossetia. So they probably rarely train together. Saying they train together all the time is like saying dake and Burroughs train together all the time bc they wrestle for the same country. That's just not true. Please stop making things up and posting them as fact

Calm down Cmikes,

What is not fact? They train together a lot instead of all the time. That sound better? Just a fan of the AZE team because most of those guys couldn't get a crack at the russian team. I think with Sharipov at 189 they are a threat to take the team title that is all! Outside of the US winning it I would love the AZE team to win it. I'm making stuff up??? What stuff? OK they don train everyday, you are right. This is a forum to talk about things like this even if we don't know 100% of what the facts are. That is why we post to get others opinions. Peace.

He's 220 before the cut. He's not interested in slimming down. He's a 97.

I wouldn't be so sure that he won't beat Gazyumov in the near future.

As for AZE not being the same with him at 97, that is true, but let's give Osmanov a chance to see what he can dish out. Let's remember that he fived Sadullaev a few months ago and rag dolled Garvin like there was not tomorrow (not saying that is a big feat,but the man can wrestle). He'll be competing in Bulgaria at 86 this weekend. Let's see what he does.

Gatsalov is coming to LA! But back down at 213??? Is this true USA wrestling? He dominated Heavyweight. Wonder why he would come back down. Gadisov had his number the last couple of years-wonder if he beats him now. Hope Varner is there!

He's been wrestling in the Iranian league at heavyweight. Personally I'd be surprised if moves 97 for good. What's the point? That said he could have some very entertaining World Cup match ups at 97. Not sure who all is coming but Gatasalov vs Yazdani is the best matchup in wrestling right now IMO.

Pretty sure that lineup is highly speculative at this point anyway.

He's been wrestling in the Iranian league at heavyweight. Personally I'd be surprised if moves 97 for good. What's the point? That said he could have some very entertaining World Cup match ups at 97. Not sure who all is coming but Gatasalov vs Yazdani is the best matchup in wrestling right now IMO.

Pretty sure that lineup is highly speculative at this point anyway.

I am betting he goes back also. Why in the world would he want to come back to a much more difficult weight and wrestle the best p4p guy in the world in Yazdani (even over Burroughs) and also Gazymazov and Gadisov. I would stay at heavyweight if he can win that easily like he did at worlds last year.

He's been wrestling duals in the Iraniab league. Hubbard will know more detail but he lost to a giant guy and then beat him 9-8 in league finals. One of the best heavyweight matches I've ever seen with Gatsalov hitting a huge throw. Can't find the video right now though.

How does Gatsalov beat 280lbs guys like Mahkov, Taymazov and this Iranian heavy? These guys are not just heavyweights but multiple world champ type heavies. After all Gatsalov is a bumped up 185 guy about the size of Cael. If Gatsalov eats all his corn bread he is maybe 220lbs. Would love to see this Iranian league finals match also!