Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

World Cup in LA

i remember the 2013 finals, Gatsalov hit a couple nice throws and it was over. took a while to review though, very anticlimactic. he was about a foot shorter than the Ukrainian heavy. didn't see any of his other matches though. didn't he lose to Dlagnev in the one of the tourneys before the worlds?

anyway, hes a living legend. hope i get to see more of him, whatever weight he goes.

The Russian heavyweight scene is so bad right now that Gatsalov has the luxury of bouncing back and fourth. Russia's # 1 true heavyweight Khugaev isn't very good so far. They miss Makhov (who is HUGE now) and Akhmedov retired too early for Russian standards.

Gatsalov appears to be freakishly strong as he has been since wrestling at 84. He keeps good position and gets in so deep on shots that he can keep his base under him and prevent the bigger guys from sprawling on him effectively. He's also great at low risk throws (arm throw, whizz we throw etc) which is great when taller guys are pushing into you. He also has a bit of luck at the worlds with several opponents including the finalist being a former 96. I'll try to post video later.

Thanks armspin. Gatsalov is amazing beating guys twice his size. Also Yazdani (best p4p in world) is coming to LA also. Varner can go against two of the all time best!

At least Iran and Russia are sending their best. Kudos to them! Should be a great Cup!

The US usually wrestles their #1 guys throughout this tournament to get individual gold especially a star like JB. Can't blame other top 74s if they don't want to make the trip out and make weight and be unlikely to compete. It is starting to look like a Dake move to 70 kg which many were predicting will not happen though.

Man that 97 kg competition will be incredible if everyone shows up.

Well the Gold medal status makes sense, but If I were Zeke, I would give both Dake and Marable a match. My reasoning would be that JB won't be around forever, and getting these two guys some additional experience would be good. Also if this makes Dake and Marable better, it will make JB continue to stay sharp, and hopefully that translates to another World Title.

97k is freaking like Yarigan on steriods. US, Russia and Iran sent their studs. So who starts at 97k for us? JD or Varner? I want to see Yazdani/Gatsalov vs Varner. Hate say it but Varner, the defending O champ will be a pretty big underdog! That is crazy to say.

97k is freaking like Yarigan on steriods. US, Russia and Iran sent their studs. So who starts at 97k for us? JD or Varner? I want to see Yazdani/Gatsalov vs Varner. Hate say it but Varner, the defending O champ will be a pretty big underdog! That is crazy to say.

Like.

Yazdani beat Varner pretty good at the 2012 World Cup if I remember correctly. Also, Akhemedov from Russia beat Varner at that event as well. So yes, I hope Varner is nice and healthy, and I want to see a rematch with Yazdani and a matchup with Gatsalov as well.

Yes I agree 97kg is loaded, and hopefully Varner is healthy. My main concern with Varner is, if he still has the fire in his belly to push himself to beat these other international stars. if he does, I think he'll do okay. J.D. On the other hand is good domestically but, for whatever reason, just can't seem to do anything internationally. Last year at the Worlds, he should have medaled, but did not wrestle smart and got knocked out of the tournament prematurely. This event should give us some indication of how things are shaping us for us at 97 Kg. Hopefully it goes well for us, otherwise we may be sitting around for a few years waiting for Snyder to make a statement in this weight class on the Senior World stage.

Just looking at Japan's roster and I'm guessing that 66kg Olympic champ Yonetmitsu has retired? He was a very entertaining wrestler to watch.

Call me crazy, but from the few videos that I've seen of Yonetmitsu, he reminds me of Dake with that proprioception thing. Just unbelievable balance and position awareness.

I think they said he was in the Japanese military, and I'm not really sure how their military-athlete program works. I agree that he was very fun to watch and I would have liked to see him able to wrestle more after the Olympics. Very explosive and very active.

He's has serious health problems- vertigo I think. Not sure if this is a concussion related thing. I was also a big fan of his, a very smooth technical wrestler. Don't know how he managed to weigh 66 though.

Russian world cup team

57 kg - Victor Lebedev, Vladimir Flegontov

61 kg - Murad Nuhkadiev, Murshid Mutalimov

65kg - Alibeggadzhi Emeev, Exiled Ramonov

70kg - Ramadan Shamsudinov, Hetag Tsabolov

74kg - Ahmed Gadzhimagomedov, Atsamaz Sanakoev

86 kg - Shamil Kudiyamagomedov, Anzor Urishev

97 kg - Khadzhimurat Gatsalov, Yuri Belonovsky, Vladislav Baytsaev (reserve)

125 kg - Anzor Khizriev, Arslanbek Aliyev

Source: http://wrestdag.ru/news/ru/news/sbornaja_rossii_pochti_opredelilas_s_sostavom_na_kubok_mira/

Pool A: Iran, USA, India, Armenia, Turkey

Pool B: Russia, Georgia, Ukraine, Mongolia, Japan

little armchair quarterbacking:

1. Both pools should be tough as nails. Team USA has its hands full in every dual (as expected). Probably not gonna happen, but it would be nice to see the home team sweep Pool A and face Russia for the gold. I know, Iran will be very tough to beat, never mind the rest of the pool.

2.Hope Marable is ok with the weight cut.

3. Really want to see American wrestlers "open it up more" overall. IMO, way too many international matches where American wrestlers take zero to none risks/attempts/whatever, and end up losing easily anyway. C'mon, show off your talents and all that hard work behind it. It will pay off. (Remember, I'm still armchair quarterbacking.)

4. Hopefully there is a webcast for the World Cup. Wish I could be there.