Sign in to follow this  
HoundedHawk

The level of ignorance on the fleeing call is astounding

I'm talking about the 149 PSU at MN 149 lb match.

The ref calls a technical violation for fleeing the mat that doesn't even exist.

They do a review and it still stands so it's now proven both refs are ignorant on it.

Cael comes over and doesn't know it was a blown call. The whole PSU staff must have been in the dark.

The ref after the replay, as he walks back to the middle, corrects himself after saying "fleeing" and calls it a stall, yet it still doesn't click it isn't 1 point.

Jim Gibbons, an announcer on the BigTen Network doesn't catch it, but recognize the phantom point.

Shane Sparks, the other announcer doesn't catch it. (But that didn't surprise me at all. :D )

This is a full spectrum level of incompetence concerning this rule that I didn't even think possible.

The ref calls a technical violation for fleeing the mat that doesn't even exist.

They do a review and it still stands so it's now proven both refs are ignorant on it.

Cael comes over and doesn't know it was a blown call. The whole PSU staff must have been in the dark.

The ref after the replay, as he walks back to the middle, corrects himself after saying "fleeing" and calls it a stall, yet it still doesn't click it isn't 1 point.

Jim Gibbons, an announcer on the BigTen Network doesn't catch it, but recognize the phantom point.

Shane Sparks, the other announcer doesn't catch it. (But that didn't surprise me at all. :D )

This is a full spectrum level of incompetence concerning this rule that I didn't even think possible.

Good thing there is no point carryover to NCAA's to magnify this to an even greater issue.

It was driving me crazy that nobody was saying anything about the stall/fleeing call in the Dardanes match. I was even more confused when he actually knew the rule in the very next match with Ness. He banged Ness for the stall and you could see Cunningham trying to get a Technical Violation point instead of the warning.

I'd like to think that Cunningham knew the rule and was just trying to take advantage of a ref that had already showed confusion.

Good thing there is no point carryover to NCAA's to magnify this to an even greater issue.

Yes, because bad calls never happen at critical moments in any postseason event... :roll:

And, from my house, I text to 3 of my wrestling buddies immediately....."Wait, didn't they get rid of the fleeing the mat technicality". My one friend immediately writes "That is what I thought." Then my nerdiest wrestling rules and stat friend, just kidding sockobuw, texts the rule, which states clearly that it should have been a stall call. Now, how do we as fans immediately at least call into question the rule, while those making a living in the sport have know idea.

Seriously, I'm not as bothered that the head ref screwed it up. It happens, but, I agree that it is sad that so man others were oblivious to it.

Yes, because bad calls never happen at critical moments in any postseason event... :roll:

Like I have stated before, in wrestling they have never had bad home mat calls in February carry over as actual points to The Tournament in March. Pretty big difference.

right, the number of bad calls (and injuries for that matter) would happen at the same rate they do now.

also if there was a duals tournament on the horizon Penn State could look forward to getting their revenge!

i couldnt say i knew the rule off the top of head but it is crazy to see so many folks miss it. never thought the match would be so close so that the call would make any kind of difference. too bad that a blown call is getting so much attention when the rest of the bouts were all so exciting.

one of the biggest moves of the match for me was watching ed ruth getting picked up completely in the air but still having the calmness and strength to block steinhaus' arm from switching over to the double. then methodically countering and getting the take down on his own. it was incredible.

Sometimes fleeing is called, sometimes night. Seems to be which refs decide to call it. I was rooting big time for Minny ( except for our local boy, MM), but I too can't believe they called that.

A bigger question is how the number one guy, at home, was easily taken down 4 times. They're lucky they didn't lose the meet.

Like I have stated before, in wrestling they have never had bad home mat calls in February carry over as actual points to The Tournament in March. Pretty big difference.

you're right, in that a home mat does give a team an advantage, whether its because of refs, a better night sleep and lack of travel (or some other not yet identified advantage). but its a small difference and one that would only happen in the first rounds, not in the semis or finals, like it does in the playoffs for vast array of sports.

so yes for a change that i previously did not account for, but no for it being a big difference, IMO.

edit: also, has this been established to be a home mat call? i seemed to me more like everyone just blew it. misapplying a rule that was repealed 2 years ago is a pretty odd way of trying to appease the home crowd. would have been a lot easier, and less blatantly wrong, to just award 2 stall calls.

Sometimes fleeing is called, sometimes night. Seems to be which refs decide to call it. I was rooting big time for Minny ( except for our local boy, MM), but I too can't believe they called that.

A bigger question is how the number one guy, at home, was easily taken down 4 times. They're lucky they didn't lose the meet.

Same reason Brown got taken down over and over and put on his back twice? Crap happens. Pressure of the meet? Sloppy attempt at trying to get back into the match? Did you see the TD SS gave up when he got his escape and flailed a leg and got taken down again? That was pure panic mode. The score will be closer next time.

I was shocked as I screamed at my TV....."There is no fleeing the mat!!"

I know that both refs, all announcers and our coaching staff missed it. Just a bit curious if JRob and staff knew they were being befriended by the refs??