Sign in to follow this  
d-

BECA coach speaks out

link to article:

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/arti ... -79238846/

per BECA Coach Jeff Karam:

"...I think it's great that we can jump into Double-A at the end of the year and wrestle some different teams. And believe me, we get challenged."

really? challenged?

"His Hawks went on to win by scores of 73-0, 62-0, 59-3 and 41-15 against the best Pennsylvania's small schools have to offer."

this is being challenged?

In four years their closest match at AA duals has been 13 points, and the gap has gotten bigger every year, and BECA is a pretty young team...the train ain't stopping anytime soon. I barely watch their duals anymore at states, just don't get any enjoyment out of it. Really loved a lot of the other matches though between the rest of AA, lot of tight and close matches with excitement.

Here's the full quote:

"I just feel that we're a Double-A school," he said, "and we get a lot of great competition in this Double-A tournament. … We definitely have the benefit of wrestling a Triple-A schedule during the season and I think it's great that we can jump into Double-A at the end of the year and wrestle some different teams. And believe me, we get challenged."

Is it not obvious that he's referring to the AA state tourney? It's as obvious as you defending him. I have no dog in this fight, but he's clearly referring to the AA tourney. He starts out by defending the decision to stay AA (first line), states that they essentially see AAA schedule during season, then finishes that he thinks it's great they get to compete in AA at the end, seeing different teams, and comments that they're challenged.

Was it really that hard for you to understand?

For whatever it is worth --- before the last season Boiling Springs switched from a division of the Mid-Penn Conference that contained the AA schools, and the smallest weakest AAA schools to one with all others AAA, They definitely faced stronger competition, but with a little less state success resulting

Here's the full quote:

"I just feel that we're a Double-A school," he said, "and we get a lot of great competition in this Double-A tournament. … We definitely have the benefit of wrestling a Triple-A schedule during the season and I think it's great that we can jump into Double-A at the end of the year and wrestle some different teams. And believe me, we get challenged."

Is it not obvious that he's referring to the AA state tourney? It's as obvious as you defending him. I have no dog in this fight, but he's clearly referring to the AA tourney. He starts out by defending the decision to stay AA (first line), states that they essentially see AAA schedule during season, then finishes that he thinks it's great they get to compete in AA at the end, seeing different teams, and comments that they're challenged.

First- I'm not defending him but it's rather apparent that you're attacking him.

It's evident to me that he's trying to be gentlemanly to the teams at states with his statements but it's just as evident that by bringing it up at all that part of that challenge is the AAA schedule he mentions. Both parts of the schedule made up the same sentence so both parts also were part of the challenge.

And no, given that I've read your posts for some time, it's not hard for me to understand how you like to sit back and snipe.

Here's the full quote:

First- I'm not defending him but it's rather apparent that you're attacking him.

It's evident to me that he's trying to be gentlemanly to the teams at states with his statements but it's just as evident that by bringing it up at all that part of that challenge is the AAA schedule he mentions. Both parts of the schedule made up the same sentence so both parts also were part of the challenge.

And no, given that I've read your posts for some time, it's not hard for me to understand how you like to sit back and snipe.

You consider what I wrote an attack? Re read this thread, and tell me where the attack lies. I can tell you it's obvious you're defending the guy for some reason, I'm guessing you know him?

All I said was that it was apparent that he's referring to competing in AA, regarding "being challenged". I would have asked, after reminding him of the scores his team has won by, if he felt that was "being challenged".

Also, can you point out where I'm sniping at anyone?

Here's the full quote:

You consider what I wrote an attack? Re read this thread, and tell me where the attack lies. I can tell you it's obvious you're defending the guy for some reason, I'm guessing you know him?

All I said was that it was apparent that he's referring to competing in AA, regarding "being challenged". I would have asked, after reminding him of the scores his team has won by, if he felt that was "being challenged".

Also, can you point out where I'm sniping at anyone?

A- you're anonymous.

B. "really? challenged?

"His Hawks went on to win by scores of 73-0, 62-0, 59-3 and 41-15 against the best Pennsylvania's small schools have to offer."

this is being challenged?"

That's not an attack?

I know a lot of people in the sport.

If you are really from NJ it's a good chance I know you.

I just wanted you to look at the whole quote and realize that it's likely the challenge comment was referring to more than just the AA states.

my translation: we wrestle a AAA schedule because the competition will makes us better, but we want to win championships so we don't elect to wrestle up in the post-season tournament. technically our enrollment puts us in AA so we continue to wrestle AA.

my translation: we wrestle a AAA schedule because the competition will makes us better, but we want to win championships so we don't elect to wrestle up in the post-season tournament. technically our enrollment puts us in AA so we continue to wrestle AA.

Kinda how I saw it too. He's creating a win-win for his team. Not the most sportsman-like move, but I notice with many of the better wrestling programs,the guys that run them aren't really known for their compassionate personality. There are exceptions, but few and far between.

Would Beca win AAA also? If not, who would beat them, Franklin Regional? They both bring kids from outside their program, right?

Exactly.

Condemning BECA but glossing over FR's laughable transfers is hypocrisy at its finest.

I personally think BECA should be in the PREPS but Franklin broke WAY more rules than BECA ever did.

Other than Devin Brown, who did FR bring in? I thought Spencer Lee was home grown?

Interestingly, I have looked at the populations of Pa wrestling schools and if we divided into three classes, A, AA, AAA. Both Beca and Franklin R would be AA. Beca would be AA with either pure population, or one of the two population adjustment for non-boundary schools. (Either a 1.65 multiplier for unbounded schools - or putting the Public schools into two (or three) classes and unbounded schools into 2(3) classes and putting them back together.

Other than Devin Brown, who did FR bring in? I thought Spencer Lee was home grown?

Interestingly, I have looked at the populations of Pa wrestling schools and if we divided into three classes, A, AA, AAA. Both Beca and Franklin R would be AA. Beca would be AA with either pure population, or one of the two population adjustment for non-boundary schools. (Either a 1.65 multiplier for unbounded schools - or putting the Public schools into two (or three) classes and unbounded schools into 2(3) classes and putting them back together.

spencer lee is from saegertown. while i don't like the transfers, you can't put FR and BECA in the same category. at least lee and brown moved to FR drawing area. they also don't compete with schools drawing from such small populations as in AA.

i have been pushing for years the idea that transfers can't score for you, but they can wrestle. this would relate to FR situation with lee and brown. you could tighten down on the transfer rules without hurting the kids. allow transfers to wrestle, but when they wrestle in a dual meet it is 6-0 for the opposing team. then they don't accumulate any team points in the tournaments. this would allow coaches the decision to wrestle a homegrown kid and sit the transfer if its not worth giving up the 6pts.

spencer lee is from saegertown. while i don't like the transfers, you can't put FR and BECA in the same category. at least lee and brown moved to FR drawing area. they also don't compete with schools drawing from such small populations as in AA.

i have been pushing for years the idea that transfers can't score for you, but they can wrestle. this would relate to FR situation with lee and brown. you could tighten down on the transfer rules without hurting the kids. allow transfers to wrestle, but when they wrestle in a dual meet it is 6-0 for the opposing team. then they don't accumulate any team points in the tournaments. this would allow coaches the decision to wrestle a homegrown kid and sit the transfer if its not worth giving up the 6pts.

Every student (wrestler and nonwrestler) at BeCaHi is a transfer by that definition, as there is no feeder system to speak of for that school.

Every student (wrestler and nonwrestler) at BeCaHi is a transfer by that definition, as there is no feeder system to speak of for that school.

SHP are you saying that none of them attended a Parochial Elementary school (usually they are K-8)?

Bishop McDevitt has a junior hi team that includes 7-8th graders so they are obviously Bringing in kids from the Parochial Schools to their wrestling room.

I like the idea of transfers being allowed to participate, but not score team points. I would even suggest allowing the transfer to not score positive team points, but if the transfer wins, it is 0-0. This, with sport specific modifications could also work for sports like Swimming or track, but it would be impossible for team sports.

catholic/private schools don't go exactly by the rules right now, and that is why it related to FR and not BECA. the catholic/private school is a whole other issue. a place to start with that issue is counting the enrollment of all feeding districts.

You are wrong, Pirate.

Bethlehem Catholic has an elementary wrestling program (K through 6). They were runner-up in the Valley Elementary Wrestling League to champion Northampton.

1. Northampton 171 points

2. Bethlehem Catholic 141.5

3. Forks Twp. 139 (Easton)

4. Palmer Twp. 138 (Easton)

5. Whitehall 105

SHP are you saying that none of them attended a Parochial Elementary school (usually they are K-8)?

Bishop McDevitt has a junior hi team that includes 7-8th graders so they are obviously Bringing in kids from the Parochial Schools to their wrestling room.

I like the idea of transfers being allowed to participate, but not score team points. I would even suggest allowing the transfer to not score positive team points, but if the transfer wins, it is 0-0. This, with sport specific modifications could also work for sports like Swimming or track, but it would be impossible for team sports.

No, of course not. I am say, however, that none of them attended a parochial elementary school directly affiliated with BeCaHi (none exists, and I'm not counting other schools under the auspices of the Diocese of Allentown).

As for 125special's assertion, none of them attend a school directly affiliated with Bethlehem Catholic High School.

These were all the kids who qualified for regionals/states last year 2013

106 Luke Karam last school listed in PAJW Moore Township (Northampton High School) Northampton County, District 11

113 Stephen Maloney (Brother of Mark Maloney used info from Mark) Fleetwood, PA, Fleetwood high school, Berks County District 3

120 Darian Cruz last school listed in PAJW was Catasauqua, Lehigh County district 11

126 Zeke Moisey last school listed in PAJW Northampton High School, Northampton County district 11

132 Lee Todora Last school listed in PAJW Emmaus High School, Lehigh County, District 11

138 Ryan Todora Last school listed in PAJW Emmaus High School, Lehigh County, District 11

152 Mark Maloney “Be Recruited” profile reads hometown is Fleetwood, PA, Fleetwood high school, Berks County District 3

160 Connor Hedash last school listed PAJW Northern Lehigh Lehigh County, Ditrict 11

170 Nick Cortopassi from what I found is originally from new jersey

182 Jose Ortiz last school listed Bethlehem Area ( School district has 2 high school Liberty and Freedom) Lehigh County District 11

285 Andrew Dunn Last school listed in PAJW Emmaus High School, Lehigh County, District 11

Read more: http://d10wrestling.proboards.com/threa ... z2tFh6UdWC