Sign in to follow this  
d-

BECA coach speaks out

I very rarely post here... I've been reading this thread here and there and just reread the last couple posts about Lee. Transfers are what they are... If the PIAA allows it, then technically no one can say a word because it was deemed not for athletic reasons (for whatever reason they choose to give).

The obvious thing (in my mind) that shows athletic intent is that there's a certain club that runs out of Franklin Regional H.S that Lee attended prior to transferring... (very surprised noone has mentioned this). It's surprising that the PIAA didn't have knowledge of this, and if they did, it wasn't brought up. If you think it was an accident that they just ended up in Murrysville, you're mistaken. There are PLENTY of schools in the Pittsburgh area. Yes, Murrysville is a nicer area in the Greater Pittsburgh Area. But, IMHO it's no coincidence that his club of choice happens to be in the same town as the new school the family chose for him to attend...

daaaabears

Unfortunately you do not understand the facts and make allegations that you have no way of supporting pertaining to the Lee family's relocation. The details of Spencer's father taking a new position that required a family move have been discussed multiple times on this board. The PIAA had no reason to intervene and as a result had no reason to allow or disallow the family's decision to buy a house in Murrysville and enroll their kids in the Franklin Regional School district.

Uninformed people making allegations without facts is growing old.

The facts are as follows:

- Spencer Lee never attended Saegertown High School. He completed the eighth grade at Saegertown middle school in 2013

- Spencer Lee's father accepts a promotion as an executive with Carnegie-Mellon University. A top 25 university in Pittsburgh. The Lee family decides to relocate to the Pittsburgh area. Approximately 2.5 hours away.

- The Lee family relocation was never challenged by Saegertown HS, the WPIAL or the PIAA. There was no

basis for the relocation to be challenged. Like family's everywhere in todays society Parents make career decisions to relocate their families to pursue a new and/or better opportunity everyday. This is true whether you are a #1 ranked wrestler or a tuba player in the band.

- The club that you are referring to has no affiliation with the Franklin Regional HS wrestling program. They are an independently owned and operated private business. This same club also operates out of the Greater Latrobe HS as well.

- Murrysville is approx. 15 - 20 miles from Carnegie-Mellon. Also, it is approx. 5-7 miles from Mrs. Lee's new employer. Murrysville is a very desirable location for professionals desiring to live in the eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh.

- The only people claiming some type of impropriety or wrong doing are those who do not understand the facts.

Those are the facts. What were the Lee's criteria for selecting a community and school district to relocate their family? Who knows for sure other than the Lee's themselves.

I believe those are the facts. I'm not disputing factual evidence. I'm just merely pointing out some other facts.

Fact: Carnegie Melon is 15-20 miles from Murrysville (as you stated). There were other options of other districts to choose than Murrysville.. for instance, Monroeville is a closer option with a large school district and nice homes which falls in the Gateway School District. Or perhaps, Mount Lebanon.. which is another large school with outstanding communities surrounding. Both are better options in proximity to Carnegie Mellon, but have wrestling teams that aren't nearly as talented across the board as FR.

Fact: Franklin Regional already had a state title contender wrestling team. On paper, it seems like a great fit for an up and coming star.

Fact: The club we're talking about happens to run out of FR, Latrobe, and UPJ (and other locations?).. I agree.. however, my point is that with a move to Franklin, club practices become VERY easily accessible, which is a nice perk for parents when choosing where your child is going to attend school AND wrestle for 4 years.

I'm really not trying to stir anything up, as I think Lee is an outstanding wrestler and he's going to be a 4x champ likely, regardless of who he wrestles for. This is NOTHING against Lee, his family, his supporters, or anyone involved in the classy Franklin Regional Program (I have a lot of respect for those guys. They created a homegrown team that would have likely been state champions without Lee or Brown). My point merely is that based on the facts, the family had an array of options and just happened to choose their one option with the best overall wrestling team, and with an esteemed club in their back yard. That was no accident. Illegal transfer? NOPE. Not saying it was. But you made it sound like FR was their only choice with the move, and I just wanted to point out that it's not true.. they had many different options, and landed on the one with the best wrestling team.

this is stupid.

If I ever need to move my family.....You bet your ass I will look at a school that has good sports teams for my kids to participate in, granted that school has good academics as well. Why the hell would I want to move to a district with a terrible team? The fact the Young Guns club is close is even better. Less travel to train with one of the best clubs in the country. And the guy bought a house where it would be closer for his wife to travel to work. Sounds like another good move. I would rather travel further than my wife has to...especially considering some of the crappy weather in the area during winter.

You can bet that if I ever need to move to the Cleveland area that I would highly consider the St. Ed's area or look towards Walsh. Two great wrestling traditions. If I"m moving the the Lehigh Valley.......I'll be looking to Nazareth/Northampton/Easton/Parkland. No brainer. When people move to Harrisburg, where do you think the first two schools they look at if they have a young wrestler are???

this is stupid.

If I ever need to move my family.....You bet your ass I will look at a school that has good sports teams for my kids to participate in, granted that school has good academics as well. Why the hell would I want to move to a district with a terrible team? The fact the Young Guns club is close is even better. Less travel to train with one of the best clubs in the country. And the guy bought a house where it would be closer for his wife to travel to work. Sounds like another good move. I would rather travel further than my wife has to...especially considering some of the crappy weather in the area during winter.

You can bet that if I ever need to move to the Cleveland area that I would highly consider the St. Ed's area or look towards Walsh. Two great wrestling traditions. If I"m moving the the Lehigh Valley.......I'll be looking to Nazareth/Northampton/Easton/Parkland. No brainer. When people move to Harrisburg, where do you think the first two schools they look at if they have a young wrestler are???

I agree 100%. I know of a family that lived near me, and had two solid wrestlers about to wrestle for a school with a poor wrestling program, in a weak wrestling area. He moved to get his kids into a solid program and I don't blame him one bit.

don't understand the move, same as Moisey's move....from top tier AAA powerhouses to AA.

Could it be that the family decided that wrestling was not the top priority and felt like a Catholic education would be best for the child? For some families religion & academics are much more important than athletics.

don't understand the move, same as Moisey's move....from top tier AAA powerhouses to AA.

If you remember, Northampton's program was in a pretty low place when Moisey was in 8th/9th grade. Seth Lisa got hired the summer after Moisey's freshman year, and he's had them moving back in the right direction. But I think Moisey transferring out was a symptom at the time that change was necessary. Not sure if he'd make the same decision today (his brother didn't for what it's worth).

Did anyone else see what Karam did during the 120lb semi?

He was sitting on the floor by the head table (two other BECA coaches were on the mat), there was a questionable call and Karam ran onto the mat (now 3 BECA coaches on the mat).

When he came back over to sit back on the floor, some fans were yelling "sit down". Keep in mind the whole arena was booing Karam over the 30 BECA fans in attendance.

Karam then went up to the edge of the stands and started yelling at some fans and walked back over to the corner for Moisey's match and he looked back to the area where the fans were yelling and clearly said "FU" back to the area where he was yelling at the fans. Anyone on that side of the arena could read his lips including the PIAA. Doc Hosage was called over (one guy from the PIAA wanted something done) and it looked like Hosage just said, "I didn't see it".

I think drama follows this guy around.

Did anyone else see what Karam did during the 120lb semi?

He was sitting on the floor by the head table (two other BECA coaches were on the mat), there was a questionable call and Karam ran onto the mat (now 3 BECA coaches on the mat).

When he came back over to sit back on the floor, some fans were yelling "sit down". Keep in mind the whole arena was booing Karam over the 30 BECA fans in attendance.

Karam then went up to the edge of the stands and started yelling at some fans and walked back over to the corner for Moisey's match and he looked back to the area where the fans were yelling and clearly said "FU" back to the area where he was yelling at the fans. Anyone on that side of the arena could read his lips including the PIAA. Doc Hosage was called over (one guy from the PIAA wanted something done) and it looked like Hosage just said, "I didn't see it".

I think drama follows this guy around.

paboom

I was sitting on the other side of the arena and had a very good view of him running onto the mat as you described. I saw him facing the crowd after he left the mat. Was not able to tell what happened from there.

I primarily follow AAA and attended every session for both AA and AAA with my son. The only matches we missed were the HWT AA QTR final Consy's. I watched everyone of the BECA matches. I wish I would have kept track of how many times the BECA kids called an injury time out. If an opposing wrestler gets a take

down there is about a 50% chance that the BECA kid will call an injury time out.

Regarding the following quote

"I just feel that we're a Double-A school," he said, "and we get a lot of great competition in this Double-A tournament. … We definitely have the benefit of wrestling a Triple-A schedule during the season and I think it's great that we can jump into Double-A at the end of the year and wrestle some different teams. And believe me, we get challenged."

What does he mean by wrestling a Triple A schedule during the season? They wrestle duals in a AAA league then drop down for the AA state dual meet tournament? Or do they schedule non league duals against AAA teams, go to bigger tournaments?

What level do the other athletic teams compete in? Do they all do something similar?

Here in California we just have one division for wrestling, for sports with multiple divisions, if a school is in division 2 then any championships they compete in while be for division 2, they can't go up or down.

For wrestling, sections do have dual meet championships and some sections divide the schools by enrollment. They go by the leagues & setup the tournaments based on that considering most leagues consist of schools with similar enrollment numbers.

And many of the private schools want to compete in a higher division. I know some compete in different divisions because they have small enrollments (some play 8 man football) but I've never heard of a team bouncing between divisions in the same season.

They are in a 12 team conference where 10 of the teams are AAA sized schools (Easton, Nazareth, Northampton, Parkland, Liberty would be the recognizable names). They also wrestler bigger schools in most of their non conference dates. There also is a conference in the area made up of primarily smaller schools, who Beca does not schedule and only sees during the post season. These matches are bloodbaths.

A lot of the ire locally comes because in the late 1990s and early 2000s, Beca football was a powerhouse, and rather than continue to dominate 2A football, which was their enrollment, they elected up to play 4A football, which is the biggest classification in Pennsylvania, where they remained a perennial state contender. Because of this precedent, a lot of people think the wrestling program should move up because they're asserting an even greater level of dominance.

Apparently District XI has unanimously approved their request to bump up to AAA next season. The PIAA will decide next. (per twitter)

And it still won't be enough for those who whine and cry about the Catholic schools.

Here an article from Lehigh Valley Live: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/bethlehem_catholic_wrestling_t_6.html#incart_river_default

5/21/14 piaa approved beca moving to AAA.

recruiting is still recruiting, and until piaa changes or fairly enforces rules regarding that, any team awards are suspect in events that include teams that openly recruit; (i.e. put an *asterisk next to each of beca's piaa team titles).

5/21/14 piaa approved beca moving to AAA.

recruiting is still recruiting, and until piaa changes or fairly enforces rules regarding that, any team awards are suspect in events that include teams that openly recruit; (i.e. put an *asterisk next to each of beca's piaa team titles).

Sage was a very good wrestler, as well. He was a state qualifier last year and was close again this year. He probably would have done better if wrestling was his focus, but he obviously had bigger fish to fry!