Sign in to follow this  
Threadkilla

CERRO PELADO INTERNATIONAL 65KG

I believe that Pico is currently US Mens best 65/66KG Freestyler, including Metcalf. I'm excited to see him against some of the US and World Best.

CERRO PELADO INTERNATIONAL

At Havana, Cuba on February 13-15

U.S. Men’s Freestyle roster

65 kg/143 lbs. - Kellen Russell, Ann Arbor, Mich. (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC)

65 kg/143 lbs. - Frank Molinaro, New Brunswick, N.J. (Scarlet Knight WC)

65 kg/143 lbs. - Drew Headlee, Bethlehem, Pa. (Lehigh Valley AC)

65 kg/143 lbs. - Montell Marion, Des Moines, Iowa (TWC)

65kg/143 lbs. - Aaron Pico, Whittier, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC)

Anyone want to put up a sig bet that Pico loses to Molinaro or Russel if they meet?

i'm on your side od. the kid is tough and has a very good win over the russian. but, that win could have been as much of a fluke as his match at jrs when he was down by 8.

A boy vs men......Pico hand's are full. You think these seasoned guys don't take this "crowning" of Pico, personally? I would be pissed.

The Cubans will be in full force. Is Haslan Garcia still wrestling for Canada at 65kg? There are always super tough Colombians and Venezuelans, as well.

Anyone want to put up a sig bet that Pico loses to Molinaro or Russel if they meet?

I don't do sig bets, but I am on the Pico bandwagon...I have been telling the kids I train here for the last 1 1/2 years that Pico is the "Chosen One" and he has done nothing to demonstrate otherwise.

He may lose to Russell/Molinaro or other international wrestlers at this stage of his career...but by the Olympic Trials he will be at the top of the US Senior ladder!

Excited to see how Pico does this weekend. Jason Welch is also there, so it will be interesting to see if he can make any noise at the international level.

I think Varner and Burroughs are competing in Turkey this coming week as well.

I don't do sig bets, but I am on the Pico bandwagon...I have been telling the kids I train here for the last 1 1/2 years that Pico is the "Chosen One" and he has done nothing to demonstrate otherwise.

He may lose to Russell/Molinaro or other international wrestlers at this stage of his career...but by the Olympic Trials he will be at the top of the US Senior ladder!

I feel the exact same way. People are putting the cart before the horse here at this stage of his career, but man do I hope this kid proves there are alternate ways of doing things. Love this kid's determination.

I think everyone is rooting for Pico to be the next great one for the US and have a lot of international success and bring home a lot of medals but I'm like you Dirty. I think he will have some wins over solid senior level guys but he won't be winning nationals or the trials just yet. Now by the Olympic trials in 2016, I would expect him to for sure contend, if not be the favorite by then.

As stated above there's no way for Pico to wrestle anyone from the Sr. US team as he will be in the Junior division. That said, I think he'd thump both Molinaro and Russell with minimal difficulty. And I would be willing to do a sig bet on that when it's actually going to happen :)

As stated above there's no way for Pico to wrestle anyone from the Sr. US team as he will be in the Junior division. That said, I think he'd thump both Molinaro and Russell with minimal difficulty. And I would be willing to do a sig bet on that when it's actually going to happen :)

Thump? Baaaahhhh.........He has barely won a senior level match and he is already being crowned, King... Give me a "#$%^*%$" break!! If I was Molinaro and Russell, I would be pissed that USA Wrestling has Pico listed as a "Star" on the opening credits of the webpage...

What is a sig bet?

Thump? Baaaahhhh.........He has barely won a senior level match and he is already being crowned, King... Give me a "#$%^*%$" break!! If I was Molinaro and Russell, I would be pissed that USA Wrestling has Pico listed as a "Star" on the opening credits of the webpage...

What is a sig bet?

Actually that's just you projecting what you currently feel like and forgetting if you were a world class wrestler, you probably wouldn't be as insecure as you are and thus wouldn't have those feelings of "pissed" that you think you would. Having a young future star drawing attention to wrestling is good for everybody. Sure there's always going to be immature, insecure high level adults out there, (it could very well have been you) but for the most part, these guys don't care about hype and who gets it, they want to do their best and if they should cross with Pico at some point, great, we get get to find out who is better. But just keep that in mind, if you ever had any serious success at the top levels, you probably wouldn't have the insecurities you currently have and thus you probably wouldn't be pissed, like you say you would be.

I actually have/had a great deal of success in business and sport....I just find it disrespectful to people out there busting their humps, improving daily, winning competitions and then some "yuck-yucks" are crowning a kid who has yet to do much on the "adult"circuit...there have been many Junior World, Cadet World Champs, who did zero as an adult....Hey Cletus, I am not insecure, Frankly, I dont give a sh$t..... I just feel it is disrespectful to put Pico over Molinaro and Russell and many others, when he has yet to do anything.....

Thump is a strong word, Dude!!

Thump is one fan's prediction and he's entitled to it. I'm still not understanding where the "pissed" would come from. I would think that a guy that's had success would be licking his chops to draw the anointed one, thump him, and restore order. But pissed? It makes zero sense to me and I have had success at all levels of sport and I run my very own highly prosperous business.

Back to topic, word is Pico was entered into the junior division. Can anyone confirm and provide results?

Pissed...yes pissed. Not pissed like I am throwing my headgear down, angry...More of a motivational pissed. I just don't like to see kids being crowned, King, before even arriving....I am sure Russell, Molinaro, Metcalf and other will use this as fuel....There are countless high school wrestlers who were the "2nd coming" and then, pfffooot.....Let the kid earn his stripes.

I do agree the attention is good for the sport....

RP, Sorry if I ruffled your feathers in my original post with my crazy yuck yucks claiming that "I" believe that Pico is currently the US Mens best 65/66KG Freestyler, including Metcalf. To be honest, I think I require some kind of consensus to actually perform a coronation, but I do have some of my daughters old tiara's. I know it is crazy for ME to think only based on his age level accomplishments, his practices with the senior level guys, his MMA contract and backing to think he could even be in the conversation. Not to mention his technical superiority over Russia's Ameev who went back to Russia and finished 2nd in the Yarygan teching 10-0 Alan GOGAYEV along the way and losing to Kurbanaliev 7-6 in the final. Metcalf finished 10th. But this is just my opinon that Pico can hang with the big dogs.

You didn't ruffle my feathers, because I really don't care......Pico has a long, long, long way to go....One name in wrestling that comes to mind is, Adam Mariano...The greatest thing since sliced bread, after dominating the Cadet Worlds, defeating Senior level athletes at a young age,wanted by every major college program, blah blah blah.... then................booooom. Crash and Burn. Good luck,.,.