Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

Andy Daniels and the 1978 NCAA Tournament

My first NCAA I ever attended and I loved when unseeded Andy Daniels from OHio University pinned the top seed John Azevedo in 30 seconds. I have never heard much of anything about Daniels background so I am interested if anyone knows it. In the NCAA program, it doesn't even feature his record from his conference. Lewboo wrestled the next finals match behind Daniels-Azevedo and he didn't even know much about him. With a pin over Azevedo and also a 15-7 win over Gene MIlls, he would have to be looked at as one of the best unseeded wresler performance ever in an NCAA tournament.

Other notables from the program and recognizable names at the tournament are:

Mallory D3 guy over Deangelis(son at OU?) at 134

Scotten? couple other Scotten's wrestling DI

Churella over DAve Schultz

Bill Vollrath from penn state(dad, uncle?)

Zilverburg from Minnesota?

Joe Elinsky from Auburn(related to Greg Elinsky of PSU?)

Bob golic(NFL and wrestled for Notre Dame) lost to Jimmy Jackson in semi's

Jeff Blatnick(also lost to Jimmy Jackson and then pinned for 3rd and 4th by golic)

CD Mock

Thanks for that quick update. Obviously, a very impressive career. I just wonder how if he only lost twice his freshman year, he wouldn't have quallified for nationals more than once. However, starting as a junior in high school and doing that well is exceptional. I know Burley started wrestling his freshman year, but sophomore?? wow.

That Mallory guy was from Boston, MA. He wasn’t only unseeded from Division 3 (Montclair State) but he also didn’t even start wrestling competitively until college.

Only D3 guy to ever win D1’s.

I know of at least one other...there are probably more.

Tom Martucci is a 1981 graduate of Trenton State College, where he compiled a two-year record of 61-1-2 in addition to winning both the NCAA Division I and III national championships his senior year at 190 pounds.

That Mallory guy was from Boston, MA. He wasn’t only unseeded from Division 3 (Montclair State) but he also didn’t even start wrestling competitively until college.

Mallory was seeded 8th at 134

He wrestled in nationals all four years

1975: lost in first round to #4 seed Pete Morelli (Clarion) 7-7, 4-0. Not in wrestlebacks

1976: came in as #5 seed and lost in first round to unseded Bob Katz (West Chester), 6-5. Not in wrestlebacks

1977: lost in pigtail to unseeded Pat Plourd (Oregon State) 9-9, 4-0. Won 3 wrestleback matches before losing to Bill Rosado (Arizona State) 3-2. Both Plourd and Roasado AA'd. One of Daniels wrestleback wins was over #5 seed Dan Glenn (Iowa) 10-2.

The 2 losses quote must mean during regular season. It is confusing.

I know of at least one other...there are probably more.

Tom Martucci is a 1981 graduate of Trenton State College, where he compiled a two-year record of 61-1-2 in addition to winning both the NCAA Division I and III national championships his senior year at 190 pounds.

Interesting, thanks.

But now that I think on it I did read that off a mass-only wrestling site so i’m not too surprised it wasn’t 100% correct.

Mallory was seeded 8th at 134

Sounds like letting the other divisions in added a whole lot of excitement to the brackets.

He wrestled in nationals all four years

1975: lost in first round to #4 seed Pete Morelli (Clarion) 7-7, 4-0. Not in wrestlebacks

1976: came in as #5 seed and lost in first round to unseded Bob Katz (West Chester), 6-5. Not in wrestlebacks

1977: lost in pigtail to unseeded Pat Plourd (Oregon State) 9-9, 4-0. Won 3 wrestleback matches before losing to Bill Rosado (Arizona State) 3-2. Both Plourd and Roasado AA'd. One of Daniels wrestleback wins was over #5 seed Dan Glenn (Iowa) 10-2.

The 2 losses quote must mean during regular season. It is confusing.

C'mon - give Daniels a break - he was an art major - not math ;)