Sign in to follow this  
LtWtLooker

wrestling a boring sport?

For years we have been told by TV, IOC,NCAA and a plethora of nannys that wrestling is boring and has no audience. Please will some of those same dolts come on here and "splain me" why I have been offered prime time curling both men's and women's for what seems like an unending amount of time on major media. I don't wish to demean any sport but it boggles the mind that these agencies think there is a larger audience world wide for curling compared to martial arts and wrestling. The only time these dirt bags love wrestlers, and other martial artists is when the Corp or Spec Forces, general military or policemen need recruits to protect their sorry axes.

Wrestling is boring. Sorry to burst your bubble. Unless you've done it or have been forced to watch it for a long time, it's hard to make sense of what's going on and what separates skilled guys from less skilled guys, and to appreciate the effort that goes into the performances.

At the NCAA level, if we wanted to make wrestling as marketable as possible, we'd adopt rules along the lines of Agon. It would also be more of spectacle, with music or lights or whatever. The rules would encourage scoring and action.

But instead we have a sport with rules stuck in the early 1970s when a gas tank, a fireman's carry, and an arm bar could win you an NCAA title. Never mind that the internet and year-round training has made the sport completely different.

"Wow, look at all that riding time! So entertaining! I'm glad you turned off the football game so I could see that kid get ridden like a mule!" That's what you'll never hear a frat bro say.

explain baseball and soccer, popularity. But I digress the comparison was curling to wrestling

Baseball - Easy to understand. A lot of people have played and understand how skilled the pros are. A lot of people have watched it since they were kids. Watching it is a mainstream way to socialize.

Soccer - Easy to understand. A lot of people have played and understand how skilled the pros are. A lot of people have watched it since they were kids. In most of the world, watching it is a mainstream way to socialize.

Wrestling - Not easy to understand. Very few people understand how skilled elite wrestlers are. Very few people have watched it at all. Watching it is not a mainstream way to socialize.

i think curling has a novelty factor to it. i remember watching it in college in the 2002 Olympics. doesn't interest me much anymore. NBC is only going to show what people want to watch, though, so as baffling as some of their programming choices are to me, i blame the people and their questionable taste.

why they developed that questionable taste is a tougher one to answer. i think familiarity to the sport goes a long away. if you grow up playing and or watching a sport you develop an affinity for it and continue watching it through adulthood. wrestling has a decent number of people who participated but a very tiny proportion who grew up watching it, thus, its current fan base is not so large. and how to grow that fanbase is the million dollar question! wrestling is competing with lots of other very well run and established sports. but i think there's hope!

My friends think I'm weird for doing things like flying into redneck states and spending a couple of grand to watch wrestling.

Like he said, unless you've wrestled or know the wrestling rules etc., then it's never going to grow unless Taylor could be cloned all over the US. Too bad he is considered a living legend when all he does is try to score as many points as possible.

I predict in my lifetime that nothing positive will help enhance the sport. Way too much politics and ego's involved.

I think all the higher level skill sports are more boring to watch. Golf, baseball, bowling, chess, wrestling, etc. require such specific technique and talent that a casual viewer can't relate to it. Baseball does the best out of this group because of the homerun, grand slams, and no hitters...plus its history. Kids love playing basketball because a 50% field goal percentage is acceptable. Football, right now, requires little to no technique, but natural athleticism can allow the players to be successful. Wait until the refs start calling flags for tackling with the head down and other spinal/concussion prevention things are enforced.

Some sports are not going to be appreciated by the casual viewer, and unfortunately, wrestling is probably one of them.

My friends think I'm weird for doing things like flying into redneck states and spending a couple of grand to watch wrestling.

I feel your pain..... when I am going to fly south for a tournament I get some strange looks from locals.

"long way to go for a wrestling tournament"

Golf is actually surprisingly popular on TV, and one reason is that long ago it was realized that in order to make golf interesting on TV, you have to jump around from shot to shot and only show action that is happening, even if it means everything you see isn't live, but is a few seconds or so delayed. Imagine how boring golf on TV would be if the entire time slot was just spent following Tiger Woods around on his 18 holes. Even golf fans wouldn't watch. Similarly, when you watch a full wrestling match live, there is usually a small amount of excitement mixed in with a lot of inactivity. This is why highlight films always have more action than full matches, because they have been edited. You get some of this in wrestling during NCAAs when ESPN shows multiple mats simultaneously during the earlier rounds, but for the most part, full length live wrestling matches are boring to the general population. The only way to make wrestling remotely exciting on TV (except for the hardcore) is to edit matches and only show highlight. But of course this would infuriate the true wrestling fans who want to see the whole match. Bottom line, wrestling is a fringe sport that is not enjoyable for most people to watch.

Thinking of incredibly "popular" sports, I find hockey and soccer incredibly boring.

I do too. And tennis, baseball, and golf. Let's face it: these are "acquired" spectator tastes, and I haven't acquired them. The idea of one sport being inherently boring is mistaken. All sports can be boring if they are performed poorly, or for spectators who do not understand the rules. I grew up with wrestling, so I naturally find it exciting when it's done right.

Wrestling "works" when you understand the rules, and you identify in some way with one of the "combatants."

explain baseball and soccer, popularity. But I digress the comparison was curling to wrestling

You can get drunk and enjoy the sunshine during a soccer or baseball game.

Good thing no one ever drinks between rounds at Nationals... :o

...... could put some type of "electronic sensor" in the competitors singlets- kind of like a garage door sensor that beeps when the door is left open- any time the sensor faces a certain way, or is "covered" by the opponents sensor, points are scored (points for somebody, that would have to be figured out)-that would take the ref's out of it, and it would be exciting to watch to see the scoreboard light up..... really stupid idea, but might be doable :o

All sports seem incredibly boring to me besides football and wrestling. And I do understand the rules of some of them. Understanding the rules of basketball or baseball doesn’t mean you are going to find it interesting.

…Incredibly boring.

I can't read a post by HuskyHero without going back about 30 years when I was participating in what I would vote the most exciting low profile sport out there......sled dog racing!!! After that I can hardly watch what I spent the better part of my first 30 years playing....baseball.

Now I've settled into being a diehard wrestling fan and I only wrestled long enough to get a real appreciation for what it takes to excel!

I have to say, I still find collegiate wrestling exciting, but could use some tweaking to help with more action. FS, on the other hand, had turned into boring crap under FILA's disasterous "leadership." Fortunately, some changes have been made bringing FS back to what it used to be.

someone posted this from the Iowa forum... interesting article by Andy Hamilton regarding collegiate wrestling being boring:

http://hawkcentral.com/2014/02/12/andy- ... wrestling/

---

oops, just saw there was another thread covering this... sorry about that

C'mon man! We can do better than this product. The athletes and coaches are doing a magnificent job of what they have to do to wrestle the chess match, that modern wrestling has become. To me and many of us on here, that's truly a beautiful thing. With that said, we could make such a fun sport to watch with just a few tweaks. I say shorten the matches, make them more exciting, and let's learn from the International mistakes that were made and to a large extent, corrected. Scoring and aggressive wrestling is back up in freestyle, and to me it's even more fun to watch. I can only imagine what a great product folkstyle wrestling could become. With the MMA exposure we are getting, and the lack of concussions comparative to football...I think we could turn a corner in the next few seasons. I love it that Mr. Dan Gable the guy that created an electric atmosphere in wrestling is pushing this agenda!!!!! Hopefully, with a much more objective set of stalling criteria this time around, we can create something better than ever. We've tried the stalling where it got out of hand, and now we've done the exact same thing the other way. C'mon man, how hard would it be. Pay the refs more, give them something that makes their judgement calls largely a thing of the past. Teach them a better way and they will beat a path to your door. If they won't, then let's pay enough to get the correct training for a new set of refs.

I think coaches need to coach their kids to open up more, especially in duals. I love how Jayson Ness wrestles for Minn. He goes for it. You can actually say the same about Andrew Alton. Sometimes the ouctome isn't pretty, but fans are on the edge of their seat during the match. Taylor is the only wrestler my son wants to watch because he knows somthing big is going to happen. Same with Ruth.

Position has become king in college wrestling, and today's kids are just so well versed in holding position that it makes scoring more difficult. Kyle Dake is the epitome of this trend. Zain Retherford is a Dake accolyte. It is brilliant wresling, but it decreases action. The wrestling world needs to put Ben Askren in charge of drafting a universal practice schedule that mandates 30-45 minutes/day of funk, counter wrestling and upper body throws. :D That will help open things up.

I think coaches need to coach their kids to open up more, especially in duals. I love how Jayson Ness wrestles for Minn. He goes for it. You can actually say the same about Andrew Alton. Sometimes the ouctome isn't pretty, but fans are on the edge of their seat during the match. Taylor is the only wrestler my son wants to watch because he knows somthing big is going to happen. Same with Ruth.

Position has become king in college wrestling, and today's kids are just so well versed in holding position that it makes scoring more difficult. Kyle Dake is the epitome of this trend. Zain Retherford is a Dake accolyte. It is brilliant wresling, but it decreases action. The wrestling world needs to put Ben Askren in charge of drafting a universal practice schedule that mandates 30-45 minutes/day of funk, counter wrestling and upper body throws. :D That will help open things up.

Ben Askren? I believe Kyle Dake is better than Askren in all of those categories.

If any of you have been following high level chess over the past decade, they are suffering the same problems as NCAA wrestling. Since computer chess apps became the best players in the world, grand masters are doing all their training with these apps to memorize deep opening strategies. They are also running simulations against the databases of their opponents previous games to understand their tendencies. This environment punishes the risk takers and draws are common.

I wonder if the democratization of our wrestling training is causing matches where wrestlers "mutually agree" to not take many risks. Fortunately for wrestling, our rules can be modified to encourage more risk taking.