Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Frank Chamizo

He moved there a while ago. He's competed for Italy in several tournaments but wasn't impressive. Today he was. Maybe he's grown into the weight.

As to your "why" question, not sure if you've ever trained there, but it's very poor. They love being Cuban and are very proud people, but they all know there is a better quality of life out there.

He moved there a while ago. He's competed for Italy in several tournaments but wasn't impressive. Today he was. Maybe he's grown into the weight.

As to your "why" question, not sure if you've ever trained there, but it's very poor. They love being Cuban and are very proud people, but they all know there is a better quality of life out there.

Cuba isn't too bad off. In terms of income, the average Cuban is better off than the average person in Albania, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Mongola, etc. Those countries don't seem to be hemorrhaging athletes. Of course, personal freedoms are another factor to consider.

Please post a link to the source demonstrating that Cuba's monthly income is higher than the countries you mentioned. I find your comment "Not too bad off" quite comical. Take it from someone who has been there many times and who knows many Cuban wrestlers. It is very poor. Yes, they have free education, healthcare and a bit of subsidized food, but overall it is an extremely difficult life. On a good month, you'll make $30 US per month.

Please post a link to the source demonstrating that Cuba's monthly income is higher than the countries you mentioned. I find your comment "Not too bad off" quite comical. Take it from someone who has been there many times and who knows many Cuban wrestlers. It is very poor. Yes, they have free education, healthcare and a bit of subsidized food, but overall it is an extremely difficult life. On a good month, you'll make $30 US per month.

Even while in recession or bordering on it, Italy's GDP per capita is between 3-4x that of Cuba, a poor country. But adjusted for income inequality, the average or below average Cuban relative to the average or below average Italian might be worse off by a factor of about 10. It's night and day. There are, of course, some countries even worse off than Cuba, but there are plenty of economic reasons to want to live elsewhere for the vast majority of Cubans.

Please post a link to the source demonstrating that Cuba's monthly income is higher than the countries you mentioned.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 4rank.html

I find your comment "Not too bad off" quite comical.
Cuba [is a] a poor country.

According to the World Bank, Cuba is an upper middle income country.

http://data.worldbank.org/country/cuba

If you're only arguing that Cuba is not as well off as the US, I would agree.

Hubbard knows a lot of these Cuban wrestlers personally, I think. I'd listen to him. Yes there are also poor European wrestlers. They move around too- I'm sure one of the reasons many Europeans don't wrestle for their birth country is financial gain.

Cuba is a poor country. It's not the poorest country, but that doesn't change the fact that the average Cuban is not well off by developed market standards, which are the relevant standards when discussing defection to Italy, a top global economy. It makes a lot of sense why a Cuban would want to make a better life in a developed country like Italy.

Moreover, those economic stats don't tell the picture that clearly for the average citizen. As I stated, each country has different income inequality, which is a huge factor when assessing standard of living but not much of a factor when measuring relative wealth or production at a national level. Cuba's wealth disparity is among the worst, as is typical of a country with its political inclinations. That means that the average citizen, and especially wrestlers who are among the poorest in countries other than Russia and a few others, are not at all well off.

Better economic opportunity may or may not be a reason why Chamizo defected, who really knows, but upgrading to a better situation is certainly a reason that makes a lot of sense when talking about Cuba versus Italy. Whether Cuba is 100th or dead last on the list of global relative wealth is irrelevant. What's relevant is how far Italy is ahead of Cuba.

I don't know Chamizo and I have no clue why he defected. I'm just stating the facts.