Sign in to follow this  
wrestle09

Rob Koll comments

Since so many of them started at 5-6 instead of 9-11 we have to conclude it makes a difference.

You absolutely do not have to jump to that conclusion. Why would you say that? Unless we have compelling evidence that the extra 3 years of wrestling made the key difference, that would be very simplistic.

There is no way to go back in time and make these kids wait to see what would happen later on in their careers. But we do know what actually did happen

That's true, we can't make them go back in time. And yes, we do know what actually happened, but why does that mean that we have to conclude that starting wrestling at age 6 versus age 9 made a significant difference in becoming an elite wrestler as a college aged wrestler? That doesn't necessarily follow.

I think that there is nothing wrong with having kids starting to wrestle when they're 4-5 years old but they shouldn't be in a highly structured environment focused on solely getting better but rather having fun and developing their bodies and as a result end up learning the basics. I don't think a kid should start competing until they are 9-11 years old and that should be close to home and about getting mat time rather than winning. Slowly get more serious as they get older but not specializing on a sport unless it's the child decision after middle school. That's how I believe you develop good wrestlers and prevent burnout. These parents having their elementary age kids cutting weight is ridiculous. Middle school wrestlers should be wrestling at their healthy weight (skipping a soda and having a water, don't eat that burger and fries but have some fish and green beans and doing that on a constant basis) and high school wrestlers should lose to within 1 weight class. Just how I run the club and high school program and how I will also coach my future children.

Doesn't it really just depend on the kid - and the parent? And I don't think that's at odds with anything Koll says here.

Koll introduced his kid to competition gradually and his kid has been successful and is apparently not burned out. Other kids have jumped into national competition at five, had great success and never burned out.

I know a lot of guys who wrestled hundreds of competitive matches a year from peewees through high school, went to practice year round for years and really never got tired of wrestling. I also know a lot who kept that schedule who burnt out. I also know guys who didn't wrestle until junior high or high school, never wrestled more than 30 or 40 competitive matches per year, had success - and burnt out. It all depends on numerous individual factors - the kid, his parents, his home life, his desire to be involved in other sports/activities, injuries, academic goals, emotional maturity - there isn't any hard and fast rule, and I don't think Koll tries to set one other than don't be a dick who lives vicariously through your kid. Whether one lives vicariously through his kid is not assessed by when the kid started competing, how many matches he has per year or whether he participates in Tulsa Nationals. It is assessed by the parent's attitude, his relationship with his son and his own level of self-actualization.

Good post, Doc. You can't really generalize too much about the issues under discussion (e.g., best age to start wrestling and/or competing, etc.). There's a lot of variables that factor into those decisions, so the answers may be different for different kids, even kids in the same environment (e.g., brothers).

NJWC.. when in any of my posts did I discuss kids cutting weight other than your ridiculous lie that your son has not lost 1 pound EVER to make a weight class..You're grasping for straws... SAT SCORES??

why would a kid ever lose a pound to make weight at any event

1 pound is a lot for a 60lbs growing kid and is stupid to think any youth event is worth that mind set

09, my son has never cut a lb. Not one. He has weighed in for the state tournament a few lbs UNDER weight the last few years. I'll leave the youth weight cutting to morons like you.

SAT scores? What are you babbling about?

How'd you do in school? Or do you live vicariously through your kids' academics as well as their athletics? You never stated that you DID cut your kid, but you were incredulous that I said my son never has cut. That tells me you did cut your kid, and that makes you a stone cold idiot. To think that you're allowed around other kids is terrifying. Great influence, no doubt.

NJ..What's amusing about this is that your extreme anger came out when I brought up Tulsa Nationals. I honestly am now wondering if you somehow are one of the promoters of War of the Shore or Wildwood duals. And when I listed the names of wrestlers( who most of them competed in Tulsa's)..(its easy to google btw) You accuse these dads of being Psycho and cutting tons of weight. Look at the National Finalists and all americans and see how many of them went to Tulsa Nationals vs War at the shore....Please google this..And the only thing I ever mentioned about weight was because of your attack on the parents that took their kids to Tulsa were Psycho and cut tons of weight..What on earth makes you believe that kids cut weight to go to Tulsa .....if you were never even there?? And my challenge back to you is this ...." i think anyone that drove or flew all the way to war at the shore sucked weight and had psycho dads...That's how stupid you sound!!! And if there is a wrestler by the time they were in junior high who didn't have to lose A FREAKING POUND to ever wrestle in a dual meet to make the lineup stronger or in a tournament somewhere over the course of their wrestling days I CALL B.S. And by the way ,Yes , a 60 pounder cutting a pound is far different than a junior high wrestler cutting a pound. You did say 1 pound????? not 3, 4,or 5 pounds. Lastly, you need serious anger management classes...cause your posts are just full of it...go get help!

NJ..What's amusing about this is that your extreme anger came out when I brought up Tulsa Nationals. I honestly am now wondering if you somehow are one of the promoters of War of the Shore or Wildwood duals. And when I listed the names of wrestlers( who most of them competed in Tulsa's)..(its easy to google btw) You accuse these dads of being Psycho and cutting tons of weight. Look at the National Finalists and all americans and see how many of them went to Tulsa Nationals vs War at the shore....Please google this..And the only thing I ever mentioned about weight was because of your attack on the parents that took their kids to Tulsa were Psycho and cut tons of weight..What on earth makes you believe that kids cut weight to go to Tulsa .....if you were never even there?? And my challenge back to you is this ...." i think anyone that drove or flew all the way to war at the shore sucked weight and had psycho dads...That's how stupid you sound!!! And if there is a wrestler by the time they were in junior high who didn't have to lose A FREAKING POUND to ever wrestle in a dual meet to make the lineup stronger or in a tournament somewhere over the course of their wrestling days I CALL B.S. And by the way ,Yes , a 60 pounder cutting a pound is far different than a junior high wrestler cutting a pound. You did say 1 pound????? not 3, 4,or 5 pounds. Lastly, you need serious anger management classes...cause your posts are just full of it...go get help!

No anger issues here, I just detest idiots that live vicariously through their kids, like you do. No, I have no affiliation with the War, or WW Duals. I've seen plenty of idiots of your ilk at those events, with their 50-80lbs kids running in sweats in the lobby trying to cut weight.

As hard as it may be to believe for a numbskull, not everyone abuses their children by having them cut weight for a children's wrestling event. It's not important enough to win a meaningless event to have a child purposely lose weight to compete. It's unhealthy for a child who is growing to do that to their body. Again, no, my son has never lost as much as a pound to wrestle. Not once. He's been offered spots on dual teams for clubs all over the place, and if it requires any cut whatsoever, he's out. My call, not his. His mother would yank him from the sport. That's what caring parents do.

The idea of flying to Tulsa with children for a wrestling event is absurd, unless of course you haven't accomplished much yourself and you're determined to say your child is a "national champ", by winning a 9 man bracket of kids from OK/TX/Mizzou.

Take a look at the brackets from this year, in nearly any age group. National titles?

NJWC ....hopefully you're not an attorney because you do absolutely no research, you make things up, you're quite the babbler and you have zero composure... I really wish you would just come clean and admit you do have an affiliation with these tournaments ( I hope you do cause at least some of your babbling would make sense to me) and Pleeeeeease just say for everyone's sake that your child has lost a pound for a match or two. No one will think you're a mean dad by having your son LOSE a WHOLE pound ....but until u do everyone will think you're full of crap. You can have the last come say...I'm done making you look silly

I'll say again, anyone flying to Oklahoma with an elementary aged kid, from PA no less, is doing it for their own ego. There are better events in your own state every weekend. Check the brackets out, it's all Ok and Mizzou kids.

War at the Shore is better, and you could drive. Wildwood Duals provide much better comp.

Not taking sides in your debate with wrestle09, but isn't it statistically much safer to fly than to drive?

that is not cutting and you know it if my kid weighs 61 or 62 he is wrestling 65 he shows up and gets on the scale and wrestles whatever weight he falls in I do not tell him to do anything bc youth wrestling is not about winning it is about learning technique and having fun

yes I am sad that people like you pervert our sport in a way that turns so many people off

that is not cutting and you know it if my kid weighs 61 or 62 he is wrestling 65 he shows up and gets on the scale and wrestles whatever weight he falls in I do not tell him to do anything bc youth wrestling is not about winning it is about learning technique and having fun

And we have a winner. I completely agree.

And can you please quote me on anything I have said about cutting weight? Can you quote me on what these so called perversions of the sport are? I never said one thing about cutting weight except to call out a poster who said about the ridiculous 1 pound thing. The only thing I regretted was mentioning Rob Koll's interview. I should have just started a thread about the blessings so many of us have had with our children and how this sport was pretty instrumental in allowing us bonding time with them. For us, my wife included, it was so cool to make a mini vacation out of it ( even if it wasn't in the greatest place next to an ocean lol). And the whole point was how so many of these wrestlers were at a young age and were national finalists last year in college. I am very good friends with the parents today. My intent is that kids can start at an early age and not burn out and grow up to be all americans and NATIONAL FINALISTS and I believe combining mini trips where you have one on one time with your child was an important part in making it fun. I'm not going to make any further arguments, it is possible to go back in the archives of tulsa nationals, reno, and TOC ...type in the names of last years NCAA finalists and see the OVERWHELMING amount that competed in these youth events. If that's what you consider psycho and unhealthy than we parents are psycho and unhealthy..oh well Unless someone wants to actually do some constructive research I say we end this thread...because its becoming psychotic and unhealthy to everyone reading these misunderstood threads!!