Sign in to follow this  
Crusader2017

Pico and Snyder rolling through Cuba

Some results just poured in from Cuba

65 kg/143 lbs. - Aaron Pico, Whittier, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC), 2-0 record

WIN Cuba, tech fall

WIN Cuba, tech fall

97 kg/213 lbs. - Kyle Snyder, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Sunkist Kids/OTC), 2-0 record

WIN Dhesi, Canada tech. fall

WIN Cuba, tech fall

Mind you, this is Junior Freestyle, but Pico seems to be the real deal. Kudos to Snyder as well, though his success isn't as impressive as Pico's given the age difference.

Why put these guys in Juniors? They both are amazing and can compete for the spot at the senior level now. Pico can beat Metcalf. Can he now, maybe not. Snyder can beat JD and Varner. Right now maybe not but surely will by 2016. These two are that good.

Why put these guys in Juniors? They both are amazing and can compete for the spot at the senior level now. Pico can beat Metcalf. Can he now, maybe not. Snyder can beat JD and Varner. Right now maybe not but surely will by 2016. These two are that good.

He can surely beat Varner by 2016? Surely? There's a big difference between Varner and Metcalf. If Varner is fully healthy, he's still the man in 2016. I don't think it'll be that close in the US.

Pico, maybe, though.

ease them in? these Jr matches they obviously may not have even broken a sweat....

should've sent them to Turkey

I can't speak for Snider, but Pico's had one year of HS wrestling. Can't just throw him in there with the men right off the bat. Give the kid a break, he'll be on the senior level consistently in no time.

once again, slow down with these kids. lots can happen over the next few years of their development, good and bad. very few of the early bloomers reach expectations compared to the ones that don't. unneccessary pressure is usaully one of the reasons they fall short.

Confidence is very hard to rebuild when you are young.

once again, slow down with these kids. lots can happen over the next few years of their development, good and bad. very few of the early bloomers reach expectations compared to the ones that don't. unneccessary pressure is usaully one of the reasons they fall short.

Thank you!!! That's all I have been saying all along......the extra pressure is not needed.

Snyder can take Varner? You guys kill me....That Varner is a man mountain....

Snyder has a few years, but training with JD Bergman, Rowlands, Tervel, Pucillo, Gavin, and more won't hurt. Varner is a beast, but JD is right there. Pucillo beat Varner for NCAA title. He will be getting plenty to prepare. Still he has to worry about plenty more than just Varner right now. He is just a kid. Good to hear his success though for sure.

I don't see anything wrong with wrestling juniors. They battle with senior level guys often. Sometimes it is good to be rewarded by comparing yourself against other athletes in similar positions to you. This is the reason I like the National Collegiate Open. I think it motivates guys when they see their successes against peers.

Don't want them suffering from chained elephant syndrome.

Last time I checked there is little age difference between the two, a year maybe even less.

You are absolutely right. Pico is September of 1996, Snyder is November of 1995.

That's about what I was expecting. I can't wait to see them at the trials. Personally I'm hoping for a Cox vs Snyder matchup to see where the two are at and get some hype for next year, though I think Cox may end up a heavyweight. Also am excited for Pico vs JO

We need someone to replace Varner and Burroughs in 2017 through 2024. I know it is early but we have two Dave Schultz type guys here unless MMA steals them. Pico may be able to get the spot now at 143 but I am sure he will end up at 163 Im sure. I could see our team after 2017 being:

125 Garrett

143 Oliver

163 Pico

189 Martseller

213 Snyder

275 Cox

I am looking forward to watching these young guys as well unfortunately I have not seen them wrestle in person only on youtube matches. So I am not as convinced as you that they can go with the seniors yet but of the two I am thinking that Snyder could do better. Just not sold on all the hype quite yet.

We need someone to replace Varner and Burroughs in 2017 through 2024. I know it is early but we have two Dave Schultz type guys here unless MMA steals them. Pico may be able to get the spot now at 143 but I am sure he will end up at 163 Im sure. I could see our team after 2017 being:

125 Garrett

143 Oliver

163 Pico

189 Martseller

213 Snyder

275 Cox

I just don't see Marsteller ever achieving this. I have seen him wrestle freestyle against junior level college guys, and went 0-2 against 2 below average guys. I don't buy his hype. Maybe Bo Jordan will eventually get into freestyle. He is the real deal.