Sign in to follow this  
lightweight

Early PIAA AAA preview

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/hsot ... 1402170083

Headline is that the WPIAL's 126 weight class will have four entrants who are returning PIAA medalists, but the WPIAL only gets to send 3 wrestlers to Hershey. Someone good will be staying home.

This is consistent with the depth shown in WPIAL AAA this year. The three teams that were sent to Hershey ended up taking 3 of the 4 semifinals berths, and the final was all-WPIAL.

lightweight

I feel for the odd man out at 126 and several other wts in District 7 as well. The brackets should be public tomorrow (I think). There are a couple other really good kids at 126 that could (with some luck) break through into the top three as well. Last year AAA top 3 finishers at 126 were from District 7. Would love to see some way to ensure the top kids in the state have a chance to compete at the state level.

Same thing could be said for the State AAA tournament as well. Would like to have seen Canon Mac and Kiski have a shot to compete this year. Likely would of had 5 of the top 10 teams in the state from

District 7

Hard to believe that the WPIAL only gets 3 spots. I understand why, but just based on wrestling tradition alone, it is clear that the WPIAL should have that 4th spot. 3 kids per weight, out of 45 or 46 schools in the region get to states...that is a helluva qualifier.

Hard to believe that the WPIAL only gets 3 spots. I understand why, but just based on wrestling tradition alone, it is clear that the WPIAL should have that 4th spot. 3 kids per weight, out of 45 or 46 schools in the region get to states...that is a helluva qualifier.

There are 49 Schools in that region. There was a tough group at 119 in 2003, the first year with out the 4th qualifier. 3 returning state medalists - Drew Headlee, Mark McKnight, and Sean Clair. In fact Headlee was a returning state champ.

Clair won it, Ashtin Primus who was a freshman and went on to be a 2x state champ took 2nd, and McKnight beat Headlee out for the last qualifying spot leaving a returning state champ out of the state tournament. McKnight went on the win the state title that year.

The WPIAL should get the 4th spot to states, they win the medal count at states every other year, even though District 1 and 3 have had the 4th qualifier for the last 12 years. Either that or AAA should send 4 per region to Hershey and make a 20 man bracket. The fact that future D1 AA's can't get out of the region speaks volumes of the depth in the SW AAA region. Look at the top 4 at 126 this year, the hardware those 4 have on a national level is crazy. Forys,Macri,Krivus,Headlee= toughest weight, in any region, in the country.

District 1 + District 3 each have 2-5 more schools with football than wrestling.

District 7 has 40 more schools playing football than wrestling.

Add about 30 wrestling teams and maybe you will deserve an additional qualifier.

9 of the 12 districts have an 80-95% ratio of wrestling to football. Districts 2 and 7 are only about 70%.

District 12 is about 50%

----------------------

District 3(SC region) just switched to a formula based on the strength of the top 8 guys in each of the 5 sections to determine which of the five 4th place finishers becomes the 16th qualifier to AAA individual states. No doubt a formula could be devised to decide the 16th qualifier at each weight. Obviously, 4 returning place winners, would be a strong indication that a region would get to send 4 guys. You might end up with 4 fourths from SW, 4 from SC, 3 from SE, 2 from NE, 1 from NW.

OK that makes too much sense so it is at least 10 years away for the PIAA

The 4th qualifier should go to the toughest region, not the one with the most schools. Maybe, whatever region wins the medal count at states gets the 4th qualifier the next year and keeps it until another region earns it back.

lightweight

I feel for the odd man out at 126 and several other wts in District 7 as well. The brackets should be public tomorrow (I think). There are a couple other really good kids at 126 that could (with some luck) break through into the top three as well. Last year AAA top 3 finishers at 126 were from District 7. Would love to see some way to ensure the top kids in the state have a chance to compete at the state level.

Same thing could be said for the State AAA tournament as well. Would like to have seen Canon Mac and Kiski have a shot to compete this year. Likely would of had 5 of the top 10 teams in the state from

District 7

needanap -

You are right, there are a number of other kids at 126 who have had good seasons, e.g.:

-Ben Turner, 10, 20-2

-Phil Mary, 11, 23-4

-Jordan McGonigle, 11, 27-2

-Tommy Zummo, 10, 27-4

-Travis Sonson, 12, 27-2

Add these to the 4 returning state medalists and that is going to be a very tough bracket.

District 1 + District 3 each have 2-5 more schools with football than wrestling.

District 7 has 40 more schools playing football than wrestling.

Add about 30 wrestling teams and maybe you will deserve an additional qualifier.

9 of the 12 districts have an 80-95% ratio of wrestling to football. Districts 2 and 7 are only about 70%.

District 12 is about 50%

----------------------

District 3(SC region) just switched to a formula based on the strength of the top 8 guys in each of the 5 sections to determine which of the five 4th place finishers becomes the 16th qualifier to AAA individual states. No doubt a formula could be devised to decide the 16th qualifier at each weight. Obviously, 4 returning place winners, would be a strong indication that a region would get to send 4 guys. You might end up with 4 fourths from SW, 4 from SC, 3 from SE, 2 from NE, 1 from NW.

OK that makes too much sense so it is at least 10 years away for the PIAA

The problem with the Football-Wrestling formula is that the WPIAL has so many tiny, Single A schools spread throughout its 9 counties. The WPIAL has over 150 schools in total, but so many are these really tiny single A schools like Laurel, Mohawk, Apollo, Leechburg, Springdale etc...These schools probably have less than 100 kids per class, and most have never had a wrestling program. However, the larger AAA-AAAA schools all have wrestling, so it seems that this formula punishes the larger schools because a bunch of small Single A schools don't wrestle? That is a pretty dumb formula for determining the 4th qualifier.

Tightwaist

I agree with you completely.

If the purpose for a state championship is to determine the best individual wrestlers at each weight class then the current system fails in this requirement every year when highly accomplished kids fail to qualify because their district is loaded with talent. At the same time some state qualifiers from very weak districts that would have no chance of finishing in the top 5 of District (7) (or other strong districts) qualify for the tournament.

As a result with the current system (for some weight classes) it is not unusual for the district qualifier for the PIAA tournament to be more difficult to win than the PIAA tournament itself.

I also agree but just wanted to know why one of the wrestlers dropped down a weight. He had been wrestling at 132 all year. Hopefully he wasn't thinking that this is an easier weight class????!!!! Not sure but it is loaded and if the top three are on their own game he just might not make it through the wpials. At least at 132 he would of made it through to States. Any thoughts on this comment?????

I also agree but just wanted to know why one of the wrestlers dropped down a weight. He had been wrestling at 132 all year. Hopefully he wasn't thinking that this is an easier weight class????!!!! Not sure but it is loaded and if the top three are on their own game he just might not make it through the wpials. At least at 132 he would of made it through to States. Any thoughts on this comment?????

did you read the part about him losing to the defending champ at 132 twice? krivus will not be the odd man out at 126 unless the weight cut gets to him. kind of interesting deaugustine said it's a more natural weight class. i would disagree with that unless he has been weighing in at 128 or gorging himself to get up to 132/34. neither of which i believe would be true. a bettere way to say it would have been to describe it as a more optimal weight class. this means krivus can still preform and is not affected by the small weight cut.

It is still not a given. Can't take it for granted because the three other top wrestlers are in their zone. They want to win the States also. Someone stated that the only way Krivus can win the States this year was to drop down a weight!!!! Said that he could never beat Smith from Franklin. I don't believe this because Krivus is a great wrestler. But he still has to get past Macri (who seems to be in his zone) Nearly(who can take anybody the distance) and Forys (who is also very tough-takes it to the distance). Not an easy weight class.

Before Krivus dropped, Macri was considered the #1 ranked kid in the WPIAL at 120. Krivus beat Macri twice last year (8-6 at Powerade and 3-1 at State). As sockobuw mentioned, this year Krivus has lost to the defending state champ, Tyler Smith, twice (7-0 at Powerade, 3-2 at WCCA). Not surprisingly, Krivus appears to like his chances of a second state title better at 126. Makes sense to me.

Krivus might of beat Macri twice last year but Macri seems to be in his zone. He seems to know what to do to win and if you have watched him this year he wrestles the whole six minutes and has stamina. Headley and Forys can go the distance also. Still a tough weight class and it is sad that all most all of the talent in 126 is in the WPIALS. Only three continue. Where do u think Krivus will be seated?

I remember that Krivus defeated Macri twice last year but remember Macri is a year older and if you have watched his matches this year he wrestles all six minutes and has stamina. There is also Headley and Forys. They go the distance every match also. Not an easy weight class. It is just a shame that the top three (or four-Krivus)are from the same WPIALS. The state should actually handle it differently.

The problem with the Football-Wrestling formula is that the WPIAL has so many tiny, Single A schools spread throughout its 9 counties. The WPIAL has over 150 schools in total, but so many are these really tiny single A schools like Laurel, Mohawk, Apollo, Leechburg, Springdale etc...These schools probably have less than 100 kids per class, and most have never had a wrestling program. However, the larger AAA-AAAA schools all have wrestling, so it seems that this formula punishes the larger schools because a bunch of small Single A schools don't wrestle? That is a pretty dumb formula for determining the 4th qualifier.

tightwaist

Actually two AAA football programs don’t have wrestling and don’t co-op with anyone. New Castle and Uniontown. ---- and 13 AA football programs lack wrestling, only one of them seems to co-op into another program (Apollo Ridge into Blackhawk)

OK, so 2 additional AAA wrestling won’t push you into the 4th qualifier. But I would like to see what would happen if an additional 10-12 AA programs were added to the state.

Again, wildcard the 16th qualifier from among the five regional 4th place finishers. I see NY does something like that: 11 Sectional (about the size of our districts) Champs. NYC champ. Catholic Champ, 4 wildcards (I assume the 4th WC is the alternate). If one of the guys is a previous state place-winner, pretty sure he goes.

Or you could take 4 from each region in AAA, and have a 20 man bracket. Or best, go to three divisions for duals and one for individuals.

The attached link provides the bio's and records of the wrestlers involved:

http://papowerwrestling.com/wpial-aaa-s ... eleased-2/

My guess is Krivus is the likely favorite with Forys and Macri very close 2nd and 3rd. Headlee is capable of beating any of the three and Mary and Giannangeli could possibly play the role of spoiler to any of the top three.

Krivus will be a highly sought after recruit this year.

Forys has committed to Pitt

Macri has committed to Cornell

Headlee is a likely D1 recruit

Mary is a likely D1 recruit

Ginanangeli will likely need to choose between lacrosse and wrestling in college.

The attached link provides the bio's and records of the wrestlers involved:

http://papowerwrestling.com/wpial-aaa-s ... eleased-2/

My guess is Krivus is the likely favorite with Forys and Macri very close 2nd and 3rd. Headlee is capable of beating any of the three and Mary and Giannangeli could possibly play the role of spoiler to any of the top three.

Krivus will be a highly sought after recruit this year.

Forys has committed to Pitt

Macri has committed to Cornell

Headlee is a likely D1 recruit

Mary is a likely D1 recruit

Ginanangeli will likely need to choose between lacrosse and wrestling in college.

this could be headlee's second time as odd man out. as a freshman he was left at home. last year he had fuentes pinned in the semi-final and should have wrestled lizak for the title in the tournaments toughest weight class. what a rollercoaster of a sport.

Just wondering why the PIAA has the junior wrestling same weekend as the high school. Also the junior high state is next weekend opposite the WPIALS!!!!????!!!!! High school is at Canon McMillan and Jr high States is in Hopewell. If they weren't at the same time I would attend both events. Why would they schedule both at the same time??? I think they are losing money and what is a parent suppose to do if they have one in each event??!!?? What a predicament!!!

Macri and Headley will wrestle tomorrow at Moon. Going to be another good match.

That will determine the semi final match ups for WPIAL's next week.

Loser will get Krivus, Winner will get Forys.

Seeds will likely be:

1: Krivus (returning State champ and 2x WPIAL champ)

2: Winner of Macri/Headlee (Macri State 2nd - Headlee returning WPIAL Champ)

3: Forys (WPIAL 2nd to Headlee)

4: Loser of Macri/Headlee