Sign in to follow this  
lightweight

Early PIAA AAA preview

The Wpial 4th place finisher at this weight will be either a- PA state Champ and Super32 champ (Krivus), a 2x Fargo AA and 2x top 4 at the Beast and 3x 3rd placer at Powerade (Headlee), a PA state 3rd and 2nd and Powerade Champ (Macri), or a 3x State qualifier and Super 32 runner up (Forys). Wow Any Predictions? I'll Start

1. Krivus

2. Headlee

3. Forys

4. Macri

The Wpial 4th place finisher at this weight will be either a- PA state Champ and Super32 champ (Krivus), a 2x Fargo AA and 2x top 4 at the Beast and 3x 3rd placer at Powerade (Headlee), a PA state 3rd and 2nd and Powerade Champ (Macri), or a 3x State qualifier and Super 32 runner up (Forys). Wow Any Predictions? I'll Start

1. Krivus

2. Headlee

3. Forys

4. Macri

I would guess that Headlee is the odd man out.

Is it coincidence that the guys who have all qualified at AAA states(or placed) are the ones that seem to be the ones to make it back again. Headlee has great accomplishments (Beast, Fargo, Powerade) yet has yet to qualify for Pa States? wow.

Headlee was in the State Semifinals last year losing to Fuentes in OT. He ended up up placing 6th in the state.

Is it coincidence that the guys who have all qualified at AAA states(or placed) are the ones that seem to be the ones to make it back again. Headlee has great accomplishments (Beast, Fargo, Powerade) yet has yet to qualify for Pa States? wow.

Headlee was in the State Semifinals last year losing to Fuentes in OT. He ended up up placing 6th in the state.

Lowrider

At most weight classes there are usually several multi year returning state place holders who have more than likely faced each other multiple times throughout their wrestling careers. This year with some wrestlers bumping up weight classes there are now 4 former state placers all competing together in District 7 at 126 lbs. Only three can advance to the state tournament.

Of the four, all of them won their section yesterday with the exception of Headlee (lost to Macri). Headlee still has a chance next weekend to qualify for states by finishing in the top 3 at the District 7 (WPIAL) championship.

In 2012 as a Freshman Headlee was the "odd man out" at 106lbs. He finished 4th behind 3 state placers that year, and all three are currently nationally ranked.

1: Michael Kemerer - 2nd PIAA'S that year and current nation rank at #2 138lbs

2: Vincenzo Joseph - 7th PIAA's that year and current nation rank at #3 138lbs

3: Dom Forys - 3rd PIAA's that year and current nation rank at #9 126lbs

4: A.C. Headlee

Uronurback

District 7 (WPIAL) is a tough grind for these kids to get to states. Particularly from 126 to 152. They have all faced each other numerous times over the years.

Kemerer and Joseph faced each other at PowerAde finals, likely to face again at WPIAL finals and possibly again the following week at states.

126 is going to be fun to watch at WPIAL's next Saturday. Historically it looks like Krivus, Forys and Macri and then Headlee as the odd man out. I think Headlee could knock any of them out. I'm not predicting it but he is very close. Also a group of other tough kids that are a step behind Headlee and could play spoiler to the whole bracket. Guys to watch are Mary from Peters Township, Gianangelli from Franklin Regional and Hardaway from Kiski Area. Again, I'm not predicting an upset but with a little luck these three are capable of making this even more interesting.

I watched the Section 2 finals on Saturday and their champion, Mary, did not look that strong. Got a small lead on his opponent and stalled his way to get out of the third period. Obviously a pretty decent wrestler, but I don't see him as a threat to the big three who won their sections this weekend.

I too think that Headlee will be the one to stay at home. He was a WPIAL champ last year and an OT match away from the state finals, and he might be staying home. It is almost disgusting that the WPIAL doesn't have the fourth spot. They did for so long and put up results at states, and still put up convincing results to show that they deserve it. I think the WPIAL won half the weights at states last year, and at many weights had all three guys place top eight. One or two weights the top three in the WPIAL placed top three at states last year. As previously mentioned, Headlee could be the second in his family to be a victim of this. I was there when Drew Headlee lost in the semis to Primus then to McKnight in the third place match, it was hard to watch. I remember when Rob Waltko took second at states then took fourth the next year in the WPIAL, so he couldn't wrestle at states his junior year (then won it his senior year). There are many examples like this. This should be addressed in the PIAA and this issue sits close to home with me (as I took fourth in the WPIAL and was unable to wrestle at states) losing to three kids who placed pretty high.

I too think that Headlee will be the one to stay at home. He was a WPIAL champ last year and an OT match away from the state finals, and he might be staying home. It is almost disgusting that the WPIAL doesn't have the fourth spot. They did for so long and put up results at states, and still put up convincing results to show that they deserve it. I think the WPIAL won half the weights at states last year, and at many weights had all three guys place top eight. One or two weights the top three in the WPIAL placed top three at states last year. As previously mentioned, Headlee could be the second in his family to be a victim of this. I was there when Drew Headlee lost in the semis to Primus then to McKnight in the third place match, it was hard to watch. I remember when Rob Waltko took second at states then took fourth the next year in the WPIAL, so he couldn't wrestle at states his junior year (then won it his senior year). There are many examples like this. This should be addressed in the PIAA and this issue sits close to home with me (as I took fourth in the WPIAL and was unable to wrestle at states) losing to three kids who placed pretty high.

iowa8989 - That must have been very tough. When I've gone to WPIALs I've often told first time parents in the stands that there is often more human emotion (both + and -) on display in the 3/4 match than the championship bout. Although both kids on the center mat want the honor to be the WPIAL champ, the "loser" knows he is still going to Hershey, and that, as other posters above have noted, has a pretty good historic probability of medaling there. But the kid who takes 4th is often crushed, particularly if the match is close, since that is it for him, and you often see tears, particularly at the lowest weights which often have young freshmen in them.

I watched the sectionals at Moon Area. There were some tough matches. There was a lot of blue singlets in the finals. Blue for Canon McMillan. 113 120 126 132 138 145 152 182 and 285. Had winners at 113 126 132 138 145 and 285. Third at 160 and 170. Fourth at 195. Looks like 106 is the only weight that they didn't qualify anyone. 220 they didn't have anyone wrestling. I know that the WPIALS are going to be harder but it looks like Canon McMillan just might have their stuff together. Hopefully it carries over to the WPIALS at Canon McMillan. Good luck Big Macs.

I've got some numbers here that I think you guys will find interesting.

This weekend at the AAA WPIAL tournament will feature;

17 Nationally Ranked Wrestlers ( I used flo's rankings for this number )

5 Returning State Champions

17 Returning State Medalists ( State Champs included in this number )

For you guys inside the WPIAL here goes some section breakdown numbers;

Section 1: 11 Nationally Ranked, 4 Returning State Champs, 9 Returning State Medalists

Section 2: 1 Nationally Ranked

Section 3: 3 Nationally Ranked, 4 Returning State Medalists

Section 4: 2 Nationally Ranked, 1 Returning State Champ, 4 Returning State Medalists

Section 1 looks loaded, but to be fair the bulk comes from State Champs Franklin Regional with 6 Nationally ranked wrestlers, and State Runner-Up Latrobe with 4 Nationally ranked wrestlers. Hempfields Sam Krivus accounts for the 11th ranked wrestler out of that Section.

Section 1 looks loaded, but to be fair the bulk comes from State Champs Franklin Regional with 6 Nationally ranked wrestlers, and State Runner-Up Latrobe with 4 Nationally ranked wrestlers. Hempfields Sam Krivus accounts for the 11th ranked wrestler out of that Section.

I do not subscribe to Flo's rankings, but who is the 4th ranked kid from Latrobe? McCoy? Coy from Penn Trafford is ranked at 132 by other rankers such as Intermat and AWN.

I do not subscribe to Flo's rankings, but who is the 4th ranked kid from Latrobe? McCoy? Coy from Penn Trafford is ranked at 132 by other rankers such as Intermat and AWN.

Yes, McCoy is # 20 on Flo. If you prefer Intermat than you could sub out # 20 McCoy (Flo) and put in #16 Coy (Intermat). I believe that is the only ranking disparity for WPIAL wrestlers, as far as being ranked. Of course most of the other guys ranked by both sources are at different spots in each ranking service.

So if we want to make the WPIAL look as strong as possible (which I do). Then we could use both and bump the number of ranked wrestlers for the WPIAL and section 1 up by 1. I wouldn't mind that at all. :D

Uronurback

Here are some others from Section (1) that looked great last weekend and I believe will be ranked after the PIAA tournament. I'm sure there are others that I am not as familiar with. Particularly from the other sections.

Kiski Area -- Kuhn (Sr) at HWT -- Likely WPIAL winner and Dapper Dan wrestler (WPIAL). Likely multi time

PIAA placer. IIRC he finished 3rd last year. Lost to Bradley by Fall in Semi's. Very atypical

HWT with a ton of athleticism. Built more like

Worthing (So) 220 -- Not sure where he finished as a (Fr). Looks dominant at this weight

Penn Trafford -- Cameron Coy (Fr) 132 -- This kid is legit. Wrestled Krivus to two very close matches this

year. Lost to Franklin Regional's returning state champ Smith at PowerAde. Wrestled

him very tough last Saturday to a 2- 0 loss. Smith reversed him with about 45 seconds

left in 3rd period. Was also ranked as one of the top incoming (Fr) by Flo. I think he was

one of the highest rated incoming (Fr) in PA.

Franklin Regional -- Gus Solomon (Fr) 120 -- Over the last 3 wks lost 2 very close matches to Latrobe's

returning state champ Luke Pletcher. Lost (4 to 3) at PIAA team dual championship. Lost

(2 to 0) last Saturday at sections. In both matches he dominated Pletcher while on top.

Over 3 minutes of riding time in each match. Was also ranked as a top incoming Freshman

by Flo. Has been injured a few times this year and has missed most of season.

Norwin -- Allesandro - 132 - Advanced to finals and looked very strong. Injury forfeit and did not wrestle

Franklin Regional's Kemmerer in finals. Not sure the extent of his injury.

if by 'subscribe' you mean 'pay'....

you don't have to pay for Flo's rankings.

if by 'subscribe' you mean 'pay'....

you don't have to pay for Flo's rankings.

Well then, I am a fool and could have enjoyed the rankings all year. Could have sworn I tried to view the rankings in the past and only got a blurred screen and request to sign in. My loss.

must have been the class rankings, mrh. at least ya know now.

Flo doesn't have Coy ranked, but he's in the mix. just needs a signature win. has beaten Hayden Hidlay (double Fargo Runner-up to Zahid) and Jack Mutchnik (2x Prep Champ), but that doesn't get him in for me at the moment.

WPIAL sure is tough as nails.

Needanap,

Kuhn is one of the more exciting heavy's to watch, moves like a middleweight.

Worthings bump to 220 was a smart move. He is the #1 seed at WPIALs now, i wonder what the run looks like for him at States. He is not only a tough wrestler but a great kid as well. I enjoy talking to his dad at tournaments and meets. Great people.

Coy is the real deal! I wrestled with him a bit just an hour ago at little scrimage a few teams got together. He has a ton of talent, I'm really excited to follow his career.

I saw that semi between Solomon and Pletcher. Solomon is like a leech on top, really hard to get those legs out once they are in. And to think pre season he was projected as a 106er.

Lastly Allesandro lives in the Norwin school district, but wrestles for Hempfield as he is a student at Greensburg Central Catholic. He is the 3 seed behind Kemerer and Joseph. I'm rooting for him to make a run and grab a state medal.

Uronurback

I agree on Coy. Kid is tough and will continue to grow and improve. He is much improved from PowerAde to now.

Solomon is very light for a 120. Could easily be at 113 if it weren't for Lee holding down that weight. Had he not been hurt this year he would have been in the mix at 120 for Franklin Regional throughout the PIAA duals. I think he just started practicing the week of the PIAA tournament. Hope he stays healthy. Looked like he may have reinjured his shoulder in the match for 3rd place on Saturday.

Allesandro has a tough road ahead. Kemmerer and Joseph are both tough. Hope the injury that caused him to default does not impact him the rest of the way.