Sign in to follow this  
lightweight

Early PIAA AAA preview

must have been the class rankings, mrh. at least ya know now.

Flo doesn't have Coy ranked, but he's in the mix. just needs a signature win. has beaten Hayden Hidlay (double Fargo Runner-up to Zahid) and Jack Mutchnik (2x Prep Champ), but that doesn't get him in for me at the moment.

WPIAL sure is tough as nails.

Husker, didn't Coy beat the returning NY State Champion at either Powerade or KOM?

yes. he beat Will Koll there.

but Koll isn't ranked either.

so he has legit wins, but none to anyone ranked. also had a loss to unranked Nolan Whitely (Walsh Jesuit) at Powerade in the quarters, though he avenged it in consis.

he's right there.

I too think that Headlee will be the one to stay at home. He was a WPIAL champ last year and an OT match away from the state finals, and he might be staying home. It is almost disgusting that the WPIAL doesn't have the fourth spot. They did for so long and put up results at states, and still put up convincing results to show that they deserve it. I think the WPIAL won half the weights at states last year, and at many weights had all three guys place top eight. One or two weights the top three in the WPIAL placed top three at states last year. As previously mentioned, Headlee could be the second in his family to be a victim of this. I was there when Drew Headlee lost in the semis to Primus then to McKnight in the third place match, it was hard to watch. I remember when Rob Waltko took second at states then took fourth the next year in the WPIAL, so he couldn't wrestle at states his junior year (then won it his senior year). There are many examples like this. This should be addressed in the PIAA and this issue sits close to home with me (as I took fourth in the WPIAL and was unable to wrestle at states) losing to three kids who placed pretty high.

iowa8989 - That must have been very tough. When I've gone to WPIALs I've often told first time parents in the stands that there is often more human emotion (both + and -) on display in the 3/4 match than the championship bout. Although both kids on the center mat want the honor to be the WPIAL champ, the "loser" knows he is still going to Hershey, and that, as other posters above have noted, has a pretty good historic probability of medaling there. But the kid who takes 4th is often crushed, particularly if the match is close, since that is it for him, and you often see tears, particularly at the lowest weights which often have young freshmen in them.

I have no dog in the fight but I do find the discussion interesting. Question, isn't it enough you already have 2 state tournaments and 16 or is it 12 placers per weight? I understand kids cry because they didn't make either of the two states tournaments but is crying enough to water the competition down even further? I watched a kid at the state qualifier in Arizona cry and throw a tantrum center mat, refusing to leave after being pinned and eliminated from 1 of the 6 state tournaments and have his heart broken, his dream dashed, and his career ruined. All because he wasn't able to make it to the prestigious states tournament . Is this what PA is striving for?

I have no dog in the fight but I do find the discussion interesting. Question, isn't it enough you already have 2 state tournaments and 16 or is it 12 placers per weight? I understand kids cry because they didn't make either of the two states tournaments but is crying enough to water the competition down even further? I watched a kid at the state qualifier in Arizona cry and throw a tantrum center mat, refusing to leave after being pinned and eliminated from 1 of the 6 state tournaments and have his heart broken, his dream dashed, and his career ruined. All because he wasn't able to make it to the prestigious states tournament . Is this what PA is striving for?

We place 8 per weight, which as far as I know is pretty much standard now a days. We aren't talking about watering down the competition.

Let me get you up to speed. This discussion is about how in our opinion the WPIAL should get a 4th qualifier. Currently a region which the wpial continuously out preform at states has the 4th qualifier. In the AAA PIAA'S, there are 5 regions. 4 of those 5 regions send 3 to states, where as the other region sends 4.

That's not watering the state tournament down. It's making it tougher by sending a #4 that would actually be doing some damage.

First night of WPIAL's and the night seemed to go as expected. A lot of Sections First placers against other

Sections 4th and 5th placers. Some very good matches with a lot of TF's and Falls.

Friday night should be very good.

Unfortunately two very good kids did not wrestle tonight due to injury.

McCoy from Latrobe (113) -- Not sure what the injury is. He has faced Spencer Lee about 5 or 6 times this year. I believe he is the only kid that Lee hasn't TF'd or Pinned each time he wrestled him. Of the six matches, I believe there were 2 matches that were decisions.

Solomon from Franklin Regional (120) -- Reinjured shoulder last week in match for 3rd place. Solomon wrestled Pletcher very tough and wound up with 2 close losses. PIAA team finals (4-3) and last week at Sections (2-1). Rode Pletcher for about 3 minutes in each match. May have been a high Placer at states

if healthy.

Too bad about the wrestlers that had to scratch after a long season, it must be tough to end it due to an injury or sickness. Soloman was coming on strong and lost to #1 seed Pletcher 2-1 in sections. Very close match, would have liked to have seen the repeat. Too bad for McCoy as well. He was a Prep National Runner-up last year prior to transfering into Latrobe. NeedanNap, you're corret, I looked at the WPIALwrestling.com site and McCoy has wrestled Lee 6x this year: the scores were: 14-4, 9-5, 19-4, 15-6, 19-3 and 14-6. Overall, two technial falls, three majors and a decision. Six matches and a 90-28 score overall and there was a strong chance that they would have met again this weekend for round 7, but at the WPIAL's you can never take anything for granted.

I noticed that Latrobe's section runner-up at 145, Ethan Smith, was also a scratch.

KTI, not that anything you said is incorrect, but I just wanted to mention that McCoy wrestled in Latrobe's system all the way up to 8th grade. He wrestled one year as a frosh at Kiski Prep before returning to wrestle for Greater Latrobe HS. I would guess because Pletcher was GL's 106 last year, but I am just guessing?

Wow, there were some fireworks tonight!

Couple of notes from the Quarterfinals:

126 - Krivus, Headlee, Forys, Macri all win, tomorrow around noon it will be Krivus vs Headlee, and Forys vs Macri.

132 - Tyler Smith was on his back to end the first period and as a result was down 4-2. He then proceeded to dominate the rest of the match with takedowns and won a 15-8 decision.

138 - Michael Kemerer was also put on his back with a Peterson but still won a 17-7 major.

152 - the 12 seed John Cole upset the #5 last night and the #4 tonight. Making himself the lowest seed to make the semi's this tournament.

160 - this is an action packed weight class!

#8 TeShan Campbell over #1 Dom Scalise 4-0. (Scalise Ranked #10 by Flo won this match 6 days ago with a buzzer beater takedown, score 7-5.

#5 Jonathan Avon over #4 Devin Austin 7-4.

#7 Colin McCraken over #2 Brendan Burnham 4-3.

Semi's will be #8 vs #5 and #3 vs #7

How about that Cam Coy Vs Nino Bounacoursi match, 1-0 Coy is the winner. both very solid Freshman. Yes 160 in the Wpial is very stacked and balanced, the top 8 here is legit. As the Prep national 3rd place finisher (2013) Dom Scalise goes down in the quarters 4-0.

Great matches in the Wpial finals, Cam Coy beats Tyler Smith, Dalton Macri beats Sam Krivus 3-2, Brown over Curry 2-1,Vincenzo beats Kemmerer, Shields beats Schaffer, Chishko over Muruca 9-4, Bell over Avon 8-2, Zavatsky handles Stout 5-1. As far as the Consi finals go AC Headlee beats Forys in a great match 10-5. It was back and forth, both going at it, more throws than expected. AC this year has beaten #18 Bavery at the Beast, #8 Jared Prince at Super32 and now #10 Dom Forys at Wpials for the 2nd straight year. Also feel bad for a few top tier wrestlers who took 4th and won't wrestle at states. Bonacorssi,Price,Forys, Yant (who almost beat Prep national 3rd placer in 2013) actually the top 6 here were very tough. Overall a very exciting night here near Pittsburgh

You've got to feel for Forys. The kids taken 3rd and 5th at states, and his senior year he doesn't even qualify. What a wild weight class.

So jelly of that WPIAL action. NE Regionals was pretty bland compared to recent years imo. Not much drama as compared to recent years. Also a down year for the region, was surprised at lack of quality of some of the semi's/3rd place matches. Nice to see Northampton push 5 through to states and that program appears to be gaining some traction, Liberty did really well today and that's with the shocker that DXI Tournament OW KJ Fenstermacher loses in semi's and his consi semi final match to miss states. Nazareth had a strong tournament and has a few kids that can make noise.

Tough draw for Shane Kuhn, he's going to run into Haines in the Semis. Also Tyler Smith and Chase Zemenak are going to run into each other in the quarterfinals, and they're the two best wrestlers at 132 in my opinion.