Sign in to follow this  
lightweight

Early PIAA AAA preview

Is there anyone who can beat Haines are should he walk through the tournament?

Kuhn should give him his best match. That being said, I don't think Haines has any trouble with him.

Any updates on the AAA tournament? I will be attending and curious as to possible upsets, up and comers, etc. I don't follow as closely as I used to so any kind of preview would be great.

The D1 forum has some previews, predictions, and bracket analysis, although most of it with a focus on D1 wrestlers: http://forums.pa-wrestling.com/forum_to ... discussion

Is there anyone who can beat Haines are should he walk through the tournament?

Kuhn should give him his best match. That being said, I don't think Haines has any trouble with him.

Haines' toughest test this year will be Nevills at Dapper Dan.

In Hershey, Kuhn in the semis is his toughest test. Last year he finished 3rd, only loss was to eventual champ (and Iowa recruit) Aaron Bradley in the semis. In 2012 he finished 4th, losing the consi finals by 1 pt to current UTC starter Dawson Peck. Kuhn would definitely be a D1 wrestler, except he's going to play tight end. But Haines should still control the match, if not win comfortably.

In the other half, the likely finalists are Goodhart (whom Haines beat 11-4 at regionals) and Augustine (whom Haines beat 8-1 in the regular season).

106 Gage Curry (ranked third in the country) lost his first and is going to have to battle back in the consi brackets

106 Gage Curry (ranked third in the country) lost his first and is going to have to battle back in the consi brackets

The kid he lost to (Sheehan) is a senior 106 pounder and is the returning runner-up

No doubt Sheehan is a quality opponent, but still surprising to see the number 3 kid in the country go down in the first round.

Curry took 3rd last year in states behind Sheehan. Curry took 3rd at Flow nationals, what other out of season tournaments did he place in. I dont think Sheehan does many out of season tournaments.

I Remember Andrew Alton losing first round his Freshman year to Brandon Bucher in OT, Bucher then beat another Nationally ranked wrestler in Ward. Bucker then lost to Marshall Peppelman 3-1 on a TD in the last minute.

Marstellar pin in 1:23. He was already up 8-0 at the time of the fall.

Yup. He has three matches to win to finish as an undefeated 4x PA AAA state champion. And I know that he has already beaten the two WPIAL guys remaining in the bracket, Wilps and Coniker, this year at PowerAde. Unless you are young you may never see this again in your lifetime, very, very impressive.