Sign in to follow this  
lightweight

Early PIAA AAA preview

did Marsteller really tech the guy in the first period?

Yes. He teched him at PowerAde too, although it might have taken longer. The final match is against Coniker, who was the only guy to go the full six minutes against him, losing something like 8-1.

Another all D7 final, with Stout of Mt. Lebanon against Zavatsky of Latrobe. Stout is 36-3, with all three losses coming against Zavatsky. Zavatsky is a senior going to Va Tech,. Stout is a junior, so he'll get to come back next year.

Edit: They just announced that that was Stout's 100th win. His matches against Zavatsky this year were 3-0, 3-0, and 5-1.

Haines up 5-0 on Kuhn so far. Single leg TD plus 3 backs.

Now Haines pins in 2:37. Wow. tOSU is getting a great one. If he gets his 4th championship could get some OW votes vs. Marstellar.

Overshadowing Spencer Lee's nice run this year.

Finals are set. Bold are my selections.

106: Dan Moran vs. Devin Brown

113: Spencer Lee vs. Joe Wheeling

120: Luke Pletcher vs. Scott Parker

126: Zach Valley vs. Dalton Macri

132: Chase Zemenak vs. Cameron Coy

138: Vincenzo Joseph vs. Mike Kemerer

145: Joe Galasso vs. Solomon Chishko

152: TC Warner vs. Josh Shields

160: Ian Shannon vs. Garrett Peppelman

170: Kyle Coniker vs. Chance Marsteller

182: Kellan Stout vs. Zack Zavatsky

195: Jan Johnson vs. Nezar Haddad

220: Mike Boykin vs. Jordan Wood

HWT: Thomas Haines vs. Pat Finn

Mine would be pretty similar to yours. Hard to tell if it is just who I want to win but I'll go with D7 guys Pletcher at 120 and Coy at 132. 145 is pick'em.

so Coy and Lee are both Freshman, right?

impressive!

Yes, and props to the PA poster who, at the beginning of the season, ranked the incoming freshman and made predictions about how they would do, based mostly it looked like on their JO performances. Lee was already a star, on some world team, etc. so not too bold a prediction there, but he was also spot on about Coy, who had the additional burden of being up in a more middle weight as a freshman.

I hope Coy stays at Penn-Trafford and brings a little glory back to that program and doesn't transfer at some point to Canon-Mac.

Results?

Rec Hall got most of them right

Brown won 7-6, I think

Lee scored at will, but Wheeling still hung sort of tough. Lee is just way to slick for h.s. wrestlers

Went to OT where Pletcher won with a takedown right on the edge. Not to take anything away from Pletcher but the announcer had it right, I think Parker let his guard down. Parker is tough for a real skinny kid.

Macri won

Coy held on for the win. 9th grader.

Went to OT where Joseph won a wild scramble that ended with him pinning Kemerer

Chisko won easily. Can't recall the exact score but Chsiko got three take downs to none for Galasso. I think they could have wrestled a long time and Chsiko would just keep winning the takedown battle.

Take of two halves. To me, Warner was the better wrestler, but he got slightly injured near the end of the 2nd period and had to hang on for dear life after that. He won 4-3 or 5-4 or something like that.

Peppleman won something like 20-7. Was never close.

Chance was up 14-2 after two periods and just shut it down. Just fought off attacks, none of which got close. I think his back was bothering him. To me, he could have teched him easy in the 3rd but he just shut it all down.

Zac won 3-1

Johnson won 7-1, so he will be a returning champ next year. Real good wrestler.

Boykin won by 1 point, something like 4-3. Boykin is strong as an Ox.

Hanies won easily. I don't recall the final score but it was something close to 8-1.

Mine would be pretty similar to yours. Hard to tell if it is just who I want to win but I'll go with D7 guys Pletcher at 120 and Coy at 132. 145 is pick'em.

My two different picks came through for me. Even if I forfeit 145 to Rec Hall he stills owes me an imaginary beer. :)

Boykin won 5-2. It was 3-2 and he got a TD off Wood's desperation shot in the closing seconds. Wood's as strong as Boykin. It was Mike's speed...and the edge wrestling he did. Wood was deep on a few shots and couldn't finish cuz they rolled out.

Haines won 6-1. It wasn't an easy win. Easy is what he did to Kuhn in the semi's. Finn gave him the best of any opponent in this tourney.

Coniker was the only wrestler this year to keep Marsteller within a decision. Chance wanted to show it was a fluke...and it was a fluke.

The day belonged to D7 with 8 champs and D3 with 5. D11 was woeful this year...probably an embarrassment for them...which probably delighted the WPIAL leadership. They think they invented every sport.

Boykin won 5-2. It was 3-2 and he got a TD off Wood's desperation shot in the closing seconds. Wood's as strong as Boykin. It was Mike's speed...and the edge wrestling he did. Wood was deep on a few shots and couldn't finish cuz they rolled out.

Haines won 6-1. It wasn't an easy win. Easy is what he did to Kuhn in the semi's. Finn gave him the best of any opponent in this tourney.

Coniker was the only wrestler this year to keep Marsteller within a decision. Chance wanted to show it was a fluke...and it was a fluke.

The day belonged to D7 with 8 champs and D3 with 5. D11 was woeful this year...probably an embarrassment for them...which probably delighted the WPIAL leadership. They think they invented every sport.

If those us from D7 are a bit insufferable these days it is in part because we are building the case for the fourth qualifier - we believe that we are leaving guys at home (e.g. Forys) who don't escape the WPIAL tournament meatgrinder who are medal quality wrestlers at Hershey.

But I also understand that there is some inevitable waxing and waning. D11 was pretty full of themselves during the Jordan Oliver days, and Central Dauphin, with all their local fans, packed the Giant Center for the Peppelman family run. It is just our turn now.

But, looking at the brackets, you should prepare yourself for it being our turn for a while. We lose Macri and Chishko to graduation (the tail end of the Canon-Mac run), but the others are underclassmen, including Lee and Coy, who are freshmen. Zavatsky graduates, but his finals opponent, Stout, is only a junior. And both finalists at 138, Joseph and Kemerer, are juniors, and they could easily return next year at two different weights. Shields also returns.

So, the weather forecast next year calls for more insufferability, followed by periods of gloating. :)

I agree. D7 dominates next couple of years at least.

As far as insufferability, I agree D11 is insufferable...but only from a wrestling perspective. D3's insufferability was limited to a the CD/Peppleman clan.

D7 thinks they invented every sport. I'm not from D12 but I'm GLAD they're in the PIAA now. At least the state champs are real state champs. I derived a lot of pleasure on PA Preps board listening to WPIAL posters trumpeting PCC as the greatest football team ever assembled...only have 3 loss St Joe's Prep DOMINATE them. I think the best football team in the WPIAL was So Fayette personally. That QB is amazing. But hey, this is a wrestling forum so I'm done now.

D7 enjoy your wrestling dominance. Well earned!

The crazy thing about Pa wrestling is that it is so cyclical in terms of which area of the state dominates. The WPIAL has always been strong with individuals, but now we see these dynasty teams being built like the Easton, Nazareth and Northampton teams of old. (Shikellamy in my day). In looking at the team scores, it was interesting to see Easton and Clearfield at the bottom of the scores. Two legendary programs that are now just average high schools when it comes to wrestling. I think it's great for the state and the sport. In Ohio, everybody knows who is going to win the team titles in D1 and D2 every year....it just makes it less interesting to follow.

The crazy thing about Pa wrestling is that it is so cyclical in terms of which area of the state dominates. The WPIAL has always been strong with individuals, but now we see these dynasty teams being built like the Easton, Nazareth and Northampton teams of old. (Shikellamy in my day). In looking at the team scores, it was interesting to see Easton and Clearfield at the bottom of the scores. Two legendary programs that are now just average high schools when it comes to wrestling. I think it's great for the state and the sport. In Ohio, everybody knows who is going to win the team titles in D1 and D2 every year....it just makes it less interesting to follow.

Yes, it has been interesting to follow the ebb and flow. Sometime back the situation was that D11 won all the team dual championships while D7 would have a bunch of individual champions. The two arguments to explain this at the time were: (1-the benign argument) that D11 had a smaller number of high schools, but with bigger enrollments, so that their talent was more concentrated into schools like Easton, which is huge, and has strong tradition/coaching, while the talent in D7 was more spread out across its relatively smaller schools, and/or (2-the not benign argument): that D11 allowed transfers to go through so that teams filled in the weights they needed, while the WPIAL policed this, and therefore was less competitive in the team event.

But, in more recent history, things have changed. Some high schools in D7 have grown in enrollment, and the ones like North Allegheny that have strong tradition/coaching are competitive with the big D11 high school, or, the less benign arguments that Canon-Mac built on its tradition/coaching by adding transfers (Weircioch, et al.) and now Franklin Regional, already a strong program (2013 #3) adds two superstars to its lightest weights and is now unbeatable. D11 may have tightened up on transfers (they no longer list them on their website) or the transfers may be flowing from the traditional AAA down to AA BeCa.

So, there is plenty of material for both sides to argue about, but the current results are that the tide has definitely shifted in the team race from East to West as evidenced by the fact that all 3 of the D7 schools made the team semi-finals this year.

Hey Thar u made a comment for every match except for Valley/Macro. Score was 5 to 0. Macri looked tough. Just wanted to know why no comment or score mentioned by you? Any comment?

matmaster, I made that post early in the morning and was going completely off memory from the night before. I basically was struggling to recall what had happened other than remembering that Dalton Macri had won. I know Valley put up a good fight but I literally couldn't recall how Macri scored. That may have been where I went to the refridgerator (not a joke).

Nice tourney for Valley, he came into that final unscored on. Beat Krivus in the semis.