Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

minnesota has the best team who has the best individuals

PSU is the better team.

Minnesota probably has the best dual meet team. Even that is somewhat debatable, both teams have 1 dual loss. Minnesotta lost to Michigan who got pretty soundly by PSU who lost to Minnesotta.

Come on, that's BS.

Read again, he said best DUAL team. Minny is the best dual team. I wasn't asking who's the favorite to win in March.

Because PSU refused to show up to prove they were better than their loss to Minny, they are the second best dual team in the country, period.

During a season in which every top team has at least one loss, you have to go with the heads up win to decide #1.

PSU is the better team.

Minnesota probably has the best dual meet team. Even that is somewhat debatable, both teams have 1 dual loss. Minnesotta lost to Michigan who got pretty soundly by PSU who lost to Minnesotta.

yes psu looks to be the better team when they are able to score points against athletes from a third team while Minnesota won when the two teams lined up and went at it mano y mano the straight up one on one matchup the way most wrestlers say they like championships to be won

but hey if penn state wants to hide behind some points system that allows them to score points by beating wrestlers not on minnesotas team and then say they are better than Minnesota they can keep lobbying and getting vocal about it

haha yes BR.

Why would beating Minnesota’s wrestlers or the guys who beat them at NCAAs “mano y mano”, having more national champs, and scoring more bonus points (which means excitement for the fans) mean that PSU is a better team? I can’t imagine that situation working.

You don’t see the Olympic team champ decided by nation vs. nation dual meets. Why is that? If its such a great system.

haha yes BR.

Why would beating Minnesota’s wrestlers or the guys who beat them at NCAAs “mano y mano”, having more national champs, and scoring more bonus points (which means excitement for the fans) mean that PSU is a better team? I can’t imagine that situation working.

You don’t see the Olympic team champ decided by nation vs. nation dual meets. Why is that? If its such a great system.

since youre new to wrestling I will let it slide that you don't know there is no team champion at the Olympics and that the world cup is a dual championship

haha yes BR.

since youre new to wrestling I will let it slide that you don't know there is no team champion at the Olympics and that the world cup is a dual championship

That was brutal, well done.

theres no one best way invented system of contrived point values to determine a national team champion in an individual sport like wrestling. there's infinite ways to do it. i prefer one that produces more than one weekend of championship, and also one that includes more tv friendly dual meets. i think thats more important than one that determines which is the "best" team. most sports include playoffs that insure that there is a chance the "best" team does not get crowned champion a significant percentage of the time.

also worth thinking about is what the best way of determining who the best wrestler is. single elimination tournaments will produce more varied results than any number of round robin variants. should we ditch the brackets for the individual weight classes as well?

How can they be the best dual meet team in the country when the can't even beat a 4 loss Michigan

So who's better? PSU, the team they beat head up? Iowa, with two losses, including one to Minnesota? Okie State, with almost half a dozen losses?

We don't know who the best team is yet. We'll only find oiut when everyone shows up at The Tournament to compete against the field of best wrestlers. Then we will know.

How can they be the best dual meet team in the country when the can't even beat a 4 loss Michigan

So who's better? PSU, the team they beat head up? Iowa, with two losses, including one to Minnesota? Okie State, with almost half a dozen losses?

We don't know who the best team is yet. We'll only find oiut when everyone shows up at The Tournament to compete against the field of best wrestlers. Then we will know.

But we DO know who the best dual team is. It's Minnesota. That's what FATMANROLL was asking and he got his answer.

I just love it when the Minny lovers and PSU detractors go with the mano y mano theory and are oblivious to the FACT that they won by being the recipient of a missed call. Then they want to also down play the fact that they were "handled" by a so-so Michigan squad that need upsets to get the win.

Give me a break.....teams and individuals have some ups and downs through out the season and if on PSU's worst day you (given a very talented team) can squeeze out a questionable win then go ahead pump you chest at your one loss to a Michigan and take your "dual" crown that is indeed shared with the better team who also went out of their way to pump up their schedule to include Iowa in Iowa.

I think T. R. Foley nailed it when he explained that the BIG10 should have issued an apology "especially when the call cost a wrestler the win and their team the chance at a perfect season."

I see Foley more as a pretty impartial, mater of fact individual in his reporting.

Do the officials have a partiality for Dardanes, against PSU he gets the stall call to beat Beitz and arguably win the dual and against Cornell he gets the stall call and beats Villalonga. Maybe there is something to all that slapping and pushing after all. Hmm or is it a conspiracy?

Do the officials have a partiality for Dardanes, against PSU he gets the stall call to beat Beitz and arguably win the dual and against Cornell he gets the stall call and beats Villalonga. Maybe there is something to all that slapping and pushing after all. Hmm or is it a conspiracy?

NO DOUBT.......CONSPIRACY! :shock:

^ It's most likely something he's picked up watching Iowa get away with it for years. I don't think bulldozing and pushing people out of bounds with no offense should be a stall call, personally - but Dardanes has a pretty good pseudo-attempted shot down to get credit on this from time to time. I was okay with the Beitz stall call, he really didn't have any offense at all for the majority of that match (I blame the Penn State coaching for his loss more than the officiating). The Vila match is a bit of a head scratcher. I hate seeing stalling calls decide matches, especially in OT. The only time I remember wanting someone to get hit after 7 minutes was Graff against Ramos last year who literally did NOTHING and got away with it. Until he took a half shot and got scored on that is.

Funny you mention that oob kickout call from the Beitz match. Steinhouse did the exact same thing last night against Gabe Dean, meaning he did an oob kickout, No point awarded incorrectly to Dean, but also no stall warning issued correctly against Steinhouse.

If wrestling wants to look for a place to start tinkering with the sport then perhaps they should look at making things more consistent.

I can't tell whether you're anti-Gopher or just making an observation, but either way, you make a good point. It is easier to appear to be engaging legitimately if you slap and push than if you set up your offense through motion. Refs are always going to be biased in favor of the guy pushing and moving forward. And in their defense, it is usually the case that the guy moving forward is the more legitimately offensive.

Unfortunately, refs aren't very good at telling when someone is pushing and slapping as a strategy to burn time and get a stall call or when someone is legitimately trying to set up shots.

So when it's close, if in doubt about taking any risk, pushing and slapping is pretty effective.

(I'm not accusing the Dardanes of this, by the way, just saying.)

Minnesota settled it by putting it on the line and taking on all those that would accept the challenge many teams ducked it but minnesota is the best team

in march we find out who has the best collection of individuals

Isn't winning the NWCA national dual championships the equivalent of winning the Virginia Duals? Except more people may watch the Virginia Duals championships.

Penn State fans, please don't fall for any of this stinky bait.

J.Robinson, the Minnesota wrestlers, and everyone involved in wrestling knows how the NCAA Champions will be determined. The same way they've been determined forever, at the National Championships in Oklahoma City.

When there is this much envy, jealousy and hate, you know that you are great !!!!

Do the Penn State haters really not realize that doing everything in their power to try to take away from what Penn State has and continues to accomplish is the greatest compliment that they can give the program.