Sign in to follow this  
WalterWhite

So no one else is mad that the ref decided that match....

tirapell, fair enough.

But there's still the issue of complete lack of consistency. It's one thing if this ref was the one guy in the country who literally called stalling exactly when he saw it. But he wasn't even consistent in the same event and even in the same dual, let alone the same match.

I think it's as fair to criticize refs for calling stalling inconsistently as it is to criticize them for not calling stalling at all. It's more nuanced than just having it both ways as fans, as you suggest.

How do you think Kendric Maple fans feel? Their guy lost a bout to the same exact wrestler using the same exact match strategy without getting dinged. How is that fair?

Agreed 100%. It's a lot more difficult to turn a cruise ship around than it is to sail in the same direction. Going against the grain is difficult, even when it's right.

But I think we need desparately to start rewarding risk. Andy Hamilton wrote a good column the other day. There have been dual meets this season with top teams where 7 total takedowns have been scored. Not a good direction for wrestling.

Yes, how dare the referee step in and flex his muscles about? What the heck is this world coming to when silly, power-hungry referee's won't stand for the innocent wrestler that has the ultimate goal in mind to win on riding time in 6 overtimes? And furthermore, what is Nick Dardanes doing? He thinks he can just walk in there and wrestle hard for the entire 7 minutes, and not even give his opponent a break to catch his breath? This is not the world I grew up in I can tell you that. Everyone needs to be rewarded, and there absolutely should NEVER be consequences for your actions.

Sure, Villalonga gave up ground the entire match, and sure Villalonga never attempted one real shot, and sure Dardanes was pushing the action, and sure people in the stands were falling asleep, and sure Villalonga could not complete his plan of waiting until the 7th overtime to collect one more second of riding time to win the match, and sure Dardanes was just good enough to get out of the Cornell stall ride with the legs in, but DAMN IT that referee should never have DECIDED the match like he did. That's the most un-American thing I have seen in a good 3 1/2 minutes. I, for one, will be writing a letter to that particular referee to explain to him just how badly he messed up this match and Villalonga's dreams of winning this match in spectacular 7 ot riding time fashion.

We complain when refs don't call stalling. Then we complain when they do.

Exactly. Either guys have to be trying to score or they do not, but you can't have it both ways.

The only thing "bad" about that call was that it's so against the grain from what we've become used to seeing. If every referee truly just started calling stalling when they see it, the wrestlers would adjust very quickly and start being more aggressive.

But we, as a sport, have conditioned guys to know that stalling WON'T be called to decide a match, so they know as long as it's tied, they don't have to worry about stalling. Well, this referee changed direction and personally, I thought it was a call that was long overdue. Only 1 guy was trying to win that match in overtime. Villalonga was trying to get to the tiebreaker and win by riding.

My quote on Twitter was "if you like seeing matches like Perry/Brown in last year's NCAA Finals, then you're mad about this call." Personally, the less tiebreaker matches I see the better.

+1 - As a Cornell fan, I want to see Villalonga NOT let the match be decided this way - it's in his control to do that. And as a wrestling fan, I agree - "The only thing "bad" about that call was that it's so against the grain from what we've become used to seeing. If every referee truly just started calling stalling when they see it, the wrestlers would adjust very quickly and start being more aggressive."

I would just hope others start calling it the same way and consistently!

I am no ref but that call, imho, was atrocious in light of how few stalling calls ever result in a point against. Dardanes opponent was in on a shot and it is right then he gets tagged for stalling? Incredible.

Saw a bunch of bad officiating this weekend, and that call was one of the bad ones.

If they want to call stalling more frequently then I am all for it, but just be consistent.

I watched this match live yesterday and then taped the replay because I knew this would be message board fodder.

1. Like many posters above I agree that the board has been filled with b*tching about nobody calling stalling. Well, the ref did his job, and called it twice, the early one, which is THE WARNING that is free that should put the wrestler on notice that you need to be trying to score, and then the second one, which, yes, decided the match, because you are not entitled to stall just because it is in sudden victory OT because the ref will get accused of "deciding the match" and "being on a power trip". I think it was a courageous call as well as being the right call.

2. As for it looking like a bad call you should watch it again. As another poster said above, the ref is out of the frame but I think it is pretty clear that what happens is that he calls the stall, which ends the match, Dardanes relaxes, and Villalonga falls onto the single leg. Hence "he was shooting as he was called for stalling" -- not.

3. If you re-watch the match I think you'll hear that the BTN announcing crew was 95% in agreement with the ref's big calls, including the Villalonga call. If he had been "inconsistent" throughout the match you'd hear about it on the broadcast, because they will criticize when they think it is warranted.

4. I've seen this ref a fair amount, as besides reffing D1 Nationals he refs the big high school events in Western PA (WPIALs, PowerAde, etc.). I think he is one of the best that we have. If one of you whining Villalonga fans can do better, go take the test, buy a whistle, and start working your way up from peewees and junior high to local high school duals, etc. for years, because that's what it takes to get to his level.

Watched the match several times now. I agree with lightweight. This ref may be the best ref in the country right now. More refs need to start calling matches this way.

Honestly, next year I would like the NCAA to send out a notice. WE ARE GOING TO CALL STALLING LIKE OUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT. I would like to see wrestlers with 2-3 stall calls on them by the end of the second period. A year, or two of this, and wrestling would be forced to evolve back to a more active style.

More refs need to start calling matches this way.

Honestly, next year I would like the NCAA to send out a notice. WE ARE GOING TO CALL STALLING LIKE OUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT. I would like to see wrestlers with 2-3 stall calls on them by the end of the second period. A year, or two of this, and wrestling would be forced to evolve back to a more active style.

IMO....this is absolutely true