Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Coaches: Is it ever acceptable to give up on a guy?

Say you have an immensely talented young man who has DI talent (as in could start for many teams), but who shrugs off advice, is a dog in practice (when he shows up), lies and has no fire in his belly to win. At what point is enough enough?

If he can't practice, he can't practice. It is as simple as that. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a match, not a match with every thing on the line, but we're talking about practice. Not the match but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that.

If he wins let him do it his way :!:

Never acceptable to "give up" on a guy as a coach.

Team decisions are made for the team's betterment and if it affects an individual's time, then it doesn't mean the coach is "giving up" on him/her.

Starting spots and opportunities are earned, not a given because of expectation.

If he can't practice, he can't practice. It is as simple as that. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a match, not a match with every thing on the line, but we're talking about practice. Not the match but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that.

I simplified a lot in my first post.

I'm not sure I follow you. It's okay for the kid to make his own set of rules outside of what everyone else abides by?

The same guy comes off the mat after a tournament loss against a kid he was clearly better than and follows your, "that's not a guy you lose to" with a shrug and a, "yeah, I know."

I simplified a lot in my first post.

I'm not sure I follow you. It's okay for the kid to make his own set of rules outside of what everyone else abides by?

The same guy comes off the mat after a tournament loss against a kid he was clearly better than and follows your, "that's not a guy you lose to" with a shrug and a, "yeah, I know."

He is quoting, to good effect, a pretty funny rant by Allen Iverson.

The amount of interest and effort an athlete gives to the sport is directly proportional to the amount of time I am willing to put into them. So if they quit on wrestling, I'll try to figure out why..but if they really aren't enjoying themselves over a long period of time, and there is nothing either of us can do about it, then they probably should find a different thing.