Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Penn State Fans: Huge inferiority complex!

I get the hate. Being on top has caused mediocre minds to spew misguided barbs for years...decades... heck, even centuries. It's human nature. It is a compliment, and one that will go away when Penn State is no longer on top...which will happen. Maybe not this year, but it will happen.

There's almost 7000 fans filling Rec Hall every match, about 16,000 tickets sold for the BJC Match against Pitt, and thousands of other fans across the country that root for Penn State. And tommygun goes after Penn State fans collectively because a dozen or so decide to be over-zealous in their posts. Talk about misguided. Trust me tommygun, whichever team your root for has their clown fans as well.

I'm more repesentative of our average fan. About 60, been a fan since the early 70's and am grateful for the success, fully aware it won't last forever. I've have had the good fortune of attending B1G's, NCAA's, and other mid-season tournaments for years, and have met many, many good people from other teams. But collectively, I have come to several conclusions about the average fans from other teams fan bases. I'd put the Okie State fans at the top for being respectful and knowledgable. The next 3 have some great fans as well, but their fan bases also come with some mixture of entitlement, spite, resentment, heck, even anger that someone else is on top...and one of those team's has never even won an NCAA Championship. Our fans are mild compared to those 3, imo.

I would also say that Lehigh's fans are among the top in the country in regards to their respect for the sport, towards other wrestlers, and their knowledge and passion for their team. I realize Lehigh is not one of the "Big 4" (Iowa, Ok St, Minn, PSU), but it has always been a great wrestling school and is in the heart of one of the wrestling hot beds in the country.

I would also say that Lehigh's fans are among the top in the country in regards to their respect for the sport, towards other wrestlers, and their knowledge and passion for their team. I realize Lehigh is not one of the "Big 4" (Iowa, Ok St, Minn, PSU), but it has always been a great wrestling school and is in the heart of one of the wrestling hot beds in the country.

I second this. Lehigh fans set the gold standard. Maybe because they tend to be older and more mature.

My one quibble with the Lehigh fans is that they are overly defensive when anyone criticizes their coaches, but now we're picking nits. Lehigh should be a significantly more successful program given its heritage and dream location, and I root for them to improve every year.

1. Not all PSU wrestling fans are PSU football fans (pre or post Paterno).

2. PSU wrestling fans don't claim Taylor is better than Dake, at least not any more. PSU haters claim that PSU fans make this assertion. But in fact, I don't think there is a single reasonable person, PSU fan or otherwise, who would state that Taylor is better than Dake. Maybe Taylor was better when they were kids. Maybe he will be better than Dake someday, but for the one year they wrestled at the same weight while they were in collge, Dake was clearly better. And regardless of what Taylor does the rest of the year, his college carrer will never come close to Dake's. They will forever be linked b/c of last year's final (and justifiable hype around it). But that is where the comparison stops.

Just find it funny that PSU haters like to argue that Dake is better than Taylor even though they have no-one to argue with...

----

I'll add that after seeing their live webcast of the Lehigh v Iowa dual, they did a superb job. Glitch free, sharp video, with different angles. Announcers were decent too.

BTN could learn a thing or two from Lehigh.

I agree. Great fans at Lehigh. Fair and knowledgeable, too. I always root for them.

No, Penn State fans do not have an inferiority complex. They have arrogance, and that comes from winning. Iowa had it, and now Penn State has it. What Penn State also has that Iowa never had is some sort of feeling of self-righteousness from the fans on the message boards, like they are Harvard, Michigan, and Notre Dame all rolled into one. As SHP says, the fans at the meets are great, but the forum folks act like they've descended from heaven.