Sign in to follow this  
CollegeWrestling4444

38 Division I Wrestling Programs.....

38 Division I Wrestling Programs have been dropped since 1994.

In 20 years we have lost 38 division I programs. If we had kept half of those we would be close to a 100 programs, which is what I feel Division I needs to get to, and should be at.

340 Division I schools and only 78 wrestling (soon to be 77 without Boston U) programs is shameful.

We need to get to 100! Instead of focusing on making duals a national event, the only thing that the NWCA should be focusing on is growth. All attention and focus should be on expansion and growth of programs.

311 Division II schools and only 57 wrestling programs.

442 Division III schools and only 90 wrestling programs.

257 NAIA schools and only 43 wrestling programs.

629 Community Colleges total (NJCAA & CCCAA ) and only 61 wrestling programs. That's awful!!!

38 Division I Wrestling Programs have been dropped since 1994. In 20 years we have lost 38 division I programs.

Instead of focusing on making duals a national event, the only thing that the NWCA should be focusing on is growth. All attention and focus should be on expansion and growth of programs.

Agree. The NWCA would be better served to focus on growth and stop with their annual commentary towards coaches that don't toe the party line as they see it.

Too much time and energy has been spent every year on trying to force a round peg into a square hole. Negative comments from the leadership towards and about certain coaches does not help anything.

Where does the NWCA malign coaches?

The NWCA spends several hundred thousand dollars each year to provide funding for forums providing free training and programs through their leadership academies and conferences. That's free!! Also, building support systems around threatened or struggling programs at all levels.

In no way can the coaches memberships fund these programs. Most of the efforts are the result of benefactors from the business communities generosity.

The vast majority of D2, D3, JUCO and NAIA support and participate in the Multidivisional Dual Championships (NAT Duals). The majority of Coaches at D1 have support the National Dual concept.

The vast majority of the entire collegiate community appreciate and respect the efforts of the NWCA. There sure are coaches that don't agree with everything that the NWCA may support. Don't confuse disagreement and debate with respect and the overall support.

There is no demonstration of maligning towards any coach or program.

John, you are absolutely correct that they do all of that, and they should be commended for doing that. But the public sniping about coaches who "don't want to wrestle" or "what's their excuse" or anything like that isn't helpful imo.

Look at the quotes from that article by Earl. I'm sure you can find a few that clearly illustrate the frustration of some of the coaches themselves.

when people say the nwca doesn't have the resources to run the duals the way they deserve they are not saying anything bad about the nwca they are saying they simply think the ncaa will do a better job and I think everyone would agree with that

how can people say the ncaa does the best wrestling event and then say the ncaa shouldn't manage another wrestling event that is just crazy

Tbar, I am not saying there is not disagreement or frustration by some. I said that the NWCA is in no way maligning any coach or program.

We can agree to disagree, John. I read constant sniping over this single issue. Koll says "Penn State won't wrestle", or something almost exactly like that and that comes off, to me anyway, as sniping at Cael.

And BR, when a coach says something to the effect of "It's the NWCA so they are going to do what they want", that is an indication of public frustration with the leadership that you don't tend to see in other sports.

I don't believe we will ever see 100% agreement. We have seen majority agreement.

Leadership frustration by some? OK. Does any change to the status quo come with out some frustration by some?

Was there frustration by some with Civil Rights?

Is there frustration by some with Abortion?

Was there frustration by some when Interstate 95 was constructed?

Is there frustration that we have wrestling programs being lost?

Some are frustrated that we believe the same is good.

There will be plenty of frustration when the BIG SUPER Conferences take all the monies currently funding Olympic sports and most Olympic sports go away,

There will be even more frustration when T9 allows for some women's sports to be kept whole in lieu of all the others dropped.

I admire those who are trying to be proactive.

Will wrestling and the other Olympic sports be relevant when there are thirty teams? Will any events sell out?

Who knows for sure? But I am glad there is debate on BOTH sides of the argument.

I am confused at who you think is the nwca and who isn't since cael and jrob both hold the same position in the nwca as member coaches

Basically, he is saying that JRob and Koll are bad, and Cael is good. Read some of his other posts on this forum, particularly those on the thread calling JRob out by name which he started.

Never to let the facts get in the way of his personal agenda (the "NWCA" is this or that, when Cael too is in fact the NWCA... JRob, Koll, and Ryan did this that or the other thing at some meeting that they were in fact never part of... etc.), tbar will call out anyone who disagrees with Cael, who is clearly the most experienced and sage mind in the coaching ranks and is always about putting wrestling first and Cael second.

340 Division I schools and only 78 wrestling (soon to be 77 without Boston U) programs is shameful.

You're wrong. Everything is fine, nationals keep selling out, everything is fine.

Instead of focusing on making duals a national event, the only thing that the NWCA should be focusing on is growth. All attention and focus should be on expansion and growth of programs.

Ya! Focus on growth! Get more matches on ESPN! Give smaller teams something to market to potential fans! Duals won't do any of that. Instead we need to... um... get rid of stalling! That'll grow the sport!

We need to get to 100! Instead of focusing on making duals a national event, the only thing that the NWCA should be focusing on is growth. All attention and focus should be on expansion and growth of programs.

These numbers may actually be worse than presented.

Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro and other DII (PSAC?) schools are DI wrestling programs (as is DIII Franklin & Marshall).

These numbers may actually be worse than presented.

Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro and other DII (PSAC?) schools are DI wrestling programs (as is DIII Franklin & Marshall).

Thats very true! Didn't think about that.

Use time and resource towards growth, not a concept for switching the national championship.

I don't believe I am incorrect in stating that no AD has stated they would keep their school's wrestling program if the National Championship stays the way it is (individual tournament).

Have I missed where an AD from a school that does not have a team has said they will add a program if the National Championship is changed to the Dual format?

I don't believe I am incorrect in stating that no AD has stated they would keep their school's wrestling program if the National Championship stays the way it is (individual tournament).

Have I missed where an AD from a school that does not have a team has said they will add a program if the National Championship is changed to the Dual format?

i dont think so. that would be pretty odd if one of them made such a specific declaration.

629 Community Colleges total (NJCAA & CCCAA ) and only 61 wrestling programs.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges.cfm - 42 NJCAA programs - no NJCAA programs in 31 out of 50 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia or Wisconsin.

http://s401.trackwrestling.com/tw/opent ... meSize=780 - 19 CCCAA programs

They are interested in money. If they see the growth in tv revenues for wrestling. They might jump on board. So, make them aware of tv and Internet revenues growth! We have to get our fans to flood the tv and Internet viewships. ESPN giving the NCAA tourney a full session view has to help a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk