Sign in to follow this  
lewboo

Stories from the room

Thought I'd share a few stories from back in the day, here is one of them!

The year was 1987, and Brad Penrith was the defending NCAA Champion at 126 pounds. In order to help the Iowa wrestling team in duals, Penrith wrestled most of the year at 134 pounds. With Penrith at 134 pounds, Iowa was solid in duals with John Regan at 126 pounds and freshman Steve Martin wrestling at 118 pounds. At the end of the year, Penrith cut down to 126, forcing John Regan to cut down to 118 where he would have a wrestle off with Steve Martin. On the Monday of the Big Ten’s, Gable scheduled a wrestle off right before the team practice. At 3:00 Regan and Martin shook hands in the center of the mat in the Iowa wrestling room and the match began. I don’t remember the score of the match, but at the end Johnny Regan got his hand raised by the ref and earned his spot representing the Iowa wrestling team at the Big Ten tournament. After wrestling varsity the whole season at 118 pounds, Steve Martin had lost his spot on the team. Needless to say, Martin was devastated. Shortly after this match, Gable called the team together to start practice. In the Iowa wrestling room, we have bleachers by the mat where the team sits before practice starts. Gable would then address the team, sometimes with a motivational talk, sometimes just a few quick words and then practice starts. This particular time, I was seated right in the front row sitting by Royce Alger. Royce was Steve Martin’s roommate at the time, and Martin was off to the side of the mat kind of sobbing. Royce called Martin over to sit down between us and then put his arm around him to console him. Gable who was standing about 5 feet in front of us, then started to address the team. Gable went through the lineup, starting at 118, and had a specific set of instructions for all ten wrestlers going to the Big Ten. He gave all ten wrestlers something to work on for 30 minutes, saying Regan for 30 minutes work on a low single and hand control standups, Penrith work on high crotch counters and explosive standups. After giving instructions to all ten wrestlers, Gable told the team that after 30 minutes, they could do whatever they wanted to do, wrestle hard, lift weights, sauna, ride the bike, or even go home. After addressing all 10 wrestlers on what they needed to do, he then said “Okay, everybody knows what they are supposed to do, any questions?” Royce Alger, then raised his hand and said “Yeah, Gable, Martin wants to know what the JV is supposed to do?” The whole team broke out laughing, and Steve Martin, who had his head down pouting, had to raise his head and laugh and look at Royce and say “you *******.” I never knew Royce was that compassionate!

what hit me about this was........Gable telling guys to DO ("explosive standup") something on the whistle. None of this "base out" and just don't let yourself get turned stuff that we so freaking much of today.You just don't see many guys actually working a move on the whistle from bottom. The guys that do don't spend much time on the bottom.

If Randy wrote a book about his recollections in the world of wrestling, it would be the best selling wrestling book of all time. It would sit proudly on a short shelf of classics, like Jay Hammond's book and Mike Chapman's works.

With his amazing memory, he could hit 400 pages in about two weeks.

A lot of people like my story about Royce asking Gable, “Yeah Gable, Martin wants to know what the JV is supposed to do?” and I just want to say a couple more things about this. How did Martin respond to this loss in the future? He went on to be Iowa’s 118 pounder at the Big Ten’s and the NCAA’s the next 3 years. He had to beat out Terry Brands for the spot his junior year and Chad Zaputil his senior year.

Terry Brands and Zaputil only made the NCAA finals 6 times between them. Martin’s Junior year he also won the Midlands, beating NCAA champion Jack Griffen and Zeke Jones, who would go on to win the worlds. At one point that year, Steve Martin was ranked #1 in the country. So in his junior year, Steve Martin was ranked #1, and had victories over 3 wrestlers who would go on to win 3 NCAA titles, 3 world titles, and 2 Olympic medals. Steve has always been a great friend of mine and is now a great coach and friend of wrestling.

Assuming that it is even the same Steve Martin, but I noticed on the ODU site that Martin graduated from Iowa in 1991. Well, I know that Penrith is the same age as me, which would have meant that Martin should have graduated sometime in the mid-late 80's, at the very latest.

Is that a misprint or is it a different guy?

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =208408980

Assuming that it is even the same Steve Martin, but I noticed on the ODU site that Martin graduated from Iowa in 1991. Well, I know that Penrith is the same age as me, which would have meant that Martin should have graduated sometime in the mid-late 80's, at the very latest.

Penrith graduated in '88. Martin's freshman year was '86-'87. It's the same guy and I'm not sure why you think there was a misprint.

Lewboo posted a follow up to this on Facebook earlier today...

"A lot of people like my story about Royce asking Gable, “Yeah Gable, Martin wants to know what the JV is supposed to do?” and I just want to say a couple more things about this. How did Martin respond to this loss in the future? He went on to be Iowa’s 118 pounder at the Big Ten’s and the NCAA’s the next 3 years. He had to beat out Terry Brands for the spot his junior year and Chad Zaputil his senior year.

Terry Brands and Zaputil only made the NCAA finals 6 times between them. Martin’s Junior year he also won the Midlands, beating NCAA champion Jack Griffen and Zeke Jones, who would go on to win the worlds. At one point that year, Steve Martin was ranked #1 in the country. So in his junior year, Steve Martin was ranked #1, and had victories over 3 wrestlers who would go on to win 3 NCAA titles, 3 world titles, and 2 Olympic medals. Steve has always been a great friend of mine and is now a great coach and friend of wrestling"

Penrith graduated in '88. Martin's freshman year was '86-'87. It's the same guy and I'm not sure why you think there was a misprint.

Well, I think mainly because I didn't know that Lewboo was still at Iowa at that time, being that he is older than I am (as I said, I'm exactly Penrith's age). So, when Lewboo was talking about this situation, and I saw the year that Martin graduated, I just assumed that it was a misprint.

These were also during my years that I wasn't following wrestling at all, so to claim ignance on my part is by admission.

Lewboo,

Perhaps you can share the story about your workouts with Tom Brands. Specifically about all the times you took him down and when he finally took you down once, you decided to take a rest....along with his response (and yours of course).

The Brands workout would be great. I remember Lewboo telling that after he'd beaten some international wrestler soundly he needed a tougher workout. He made the comment to Gable who said let me get warmed up. Lewboo can tell you the rest of the story.

lewboo, do have any stories of medaling at a world championship or olympics when all the top wrestling countries showed up?

I was gonna look it up on the FILA database but I can't find the website so I thought I'd just ask you.

The Brands workout would be great. I remember Lewboo telling that after he'd beaten some international wrestler soundly he needed a tougher workout. He made the comment to Gable who said let me get warmed up. Lewboo can tell you the rest of the story.

The start was OK for Leeboo, :roll:

Ask and yee shall receive :)

We love these stories, keep them coming!