Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Sanderson Rolling The Dice With James English?

Jeff Byers said on the radio today that James English won a wrestle-off with Beitz and has the starting job at 149. He had a solid showing at the Edinboro Open, so I guess it's possible he is finally 100% and ready to go.

Wonder if he will have to "steal" a spot to qualify?

Jeff Byers said on the radio today that James English won a wrestle-off with Beitz and has the starting job at 149. He had a solid showing at the Edinboro Open, so I guess it's possible he is finally 100% and ready to go.

Might not have to "steal" a spot. He could earn an AQ for the B1G. English is currently 7-3. If he wins in the dual v. Clarion this weekend, he will be 8-3 (winning pct = 0.727). If a 0.727 winning pct. holds up, and he can sneak into the Coaches' top 33, he could possibly qualify for the Silver Standard.

Might not have to "steal" a spot. He could earn an AQ for the B1G. English is currently 7-3. If he wins in the dual v. Clarion this weekend, he will be 8-3 (winning pct = 0.727). If a 0.727 winning pct. holds up, and he can sneak into the Coaches' top 33, he could possibly qualify for the Silver Standard.

I'm not sure exactly the numbers, but in past years I think .700 winning percentage was good for a bronze standard, but it takes closer to .800 to achieve silver. That said, he can "steal" a spot that someone else qualifies, or and 8-3 record should get him into the "at large" pool - but might not be enough to secure an at large bid.

I'm pretty sure he'll make the coaches' top 33.

Regarding winning percentage, since the NCAA went to 29 AQ allocations per weight class, the winning percentage will vary by class.

He has not met the minimum number if Div I bouts (17) to earn an RPI.

If his winning percentage holds up, he'll meet the Silver standard and earn the B1G an AQ allocation at 149.

Here's the criteria from 2013:

The committee will allocate 290 automatic qualifiers of the 330 championships field using the primary formula. Threshold levels may slide up or down in concert (i.e., slide up to .800 Win %, top 20 RPI and top 20 CR or slide down to .700 Win %, top 30 RPI and top 30 CR) to achieve a total number of automatic qualifiers in the desired range.

Secondary Criteria

On March 13, wrestlers in each weight class will receive an updated Win % and RPI that

includes all competition through the qualifying events. Wrestlers that meet or exceed any two

of the following criteria will be labeled “Bronze Standard”:

● .700 Win %

● Top 33 RPI

● Top 33 CR (2/22/12 measure)

● .700 winning percentage against all competition

So yes - the AQ scale is a sliding scale. English can't get an RPI, so he'll need a winning % somewhere between .700 and .800, and a coaches ranking of at least 30, with 27-28 most likely.

He'll be on the bubble at best.

Here's the criteria from 2013:

The committee will allocate 290 automatic qualifiers of the 330 championships field using the primary formula. Threshold levels may slide up or down in concert (i.e., slide up to .800 Win %, top 20 RPI and top 20 CR or slide down to .700 Win %, top 30 RPI and top 30 CR) to achieve a total number of automatic qualifiers in the desired range.

Secondary Criteria

On March 13, wrestlers in each weight class will receive an updated Win % and RPI that

includes all competition through the qualifying events. Wrestlers that meet or exceed any two

of the following criteria will be labeled “Bronze Standard”:

● .700 Win %

● Top 33 RPI

● Top 33 CR (2/22/12 measure)

● .700 winning percentage against all competition

So yes - the AQ scale is a sliding scale. English can't get an RPI, so he'll need a winning % somewhere between .700 and .800, and a coaches ranking of at least 30, with 27-28 most likely.

He'll be on the bubble at best.

I think we're pretty much arguing the same point.

Look at the date in what you copy-pasted (March 13). This is the protocol for those who don't qualify out of their conference tourneys.

My point is that he will likely earn the B1G an AQ allocation before the conference tourney. As such, he is not technically "stealing" a spot.

He's probably up a creek in terms of earning an AQ for the B1G. His actual winning percentage (remember, medical forfeits don't count as wins for this purpose) is 5-3 right now, with a win over the Clarion wrestler making him 6-3 (and a matchup with Justin Arthur is probably a toss-up at best for English).

Look at the date in what you copy-pasted (March 13). This is the protocol for those who don't qualify out of their conference tourneys.
Right - the criteria after March 13 is the Secondary Criteria - that's how they set the "at large" pool. But the paragraph ABOVE that is where the criteria for selecting the AQ's is described.

He's probably up a creek in terms of earning an AQ for the B1G. His actual winning percentage (remember, medical forfeits don't count as wins for this purpose) is 5-3 right now, with a win over the Clarion wrestler making him 6-3 (and a matchup with Justin Arthur is probably a toss-up at best for English).

Right, I forgot they throw out the MFF's - that being the case, with a 6-3 record - 66.7% - He's got to steal a spot, it's pretty tough odds he'd even get a wild card.

After 5 Years of putting his time in ,English gets opportunity.

Alton truly is best shot , but I have to wonder if there is more. When he quit the way he got pinned , it

looked like he laid down. Must be more to this have to assume Cael has a handle, maybe injury still bothering him , or mentally tired of grind.

As far as English, if you where considering him then should have had him in some of matches IMO

But can live with the wrestle off, he is having good year as well. have to have standard and fair decisions

It cant be 100% wrestle off as some wrestle better in matches , but English doing well too. Im a fan of Beitz

as well and for program a Beitz nod gets him experience and sets him up three more years ? Tough call!

Frank C

PS For all you ragging on Alton with out having the skinny are jack asses!