Sign in to follow this  
CoachDPark

Darrion Caldwell (2009) vs Kyle Dake

Reece Humphrey was/is a better wrestler than Caldwell and a freshman Dake bested him. Caldwell had a fantastic tournament....A, and A is singular fantastic tournament, Dake is working on his fourth...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, not seeing how Humphrey is better than Caldwell. Caldwell won his title at a much tougher weight and beat a Hodge Trophy winner 2 times along the way. Humphrey never won a title, and didn't beat the level of competition DC did. I know you love your Buckeyes RD, but I'm just not seeing it..

Reece Humphrey was/is a better wrestler than Caldwell and a freshman Dake bested him. Caldwell had a fantastic tournament....A, and A is singular fantastic tournament, Dake is working on his fourth...

Sorry, not seeing how Humphrey is better than Caldwell. Caldwell won his title at a much tougher weight and beat a Hodge Trophy winner 2 times along the way. Humphrey never won a title, and didn't beat the level of competition DC did. I know you love your Buckeyes RD, but I'm just not seeing it..

without caldwell being healthy after his title it is hard to say. two things to remember....

-levalley beat dake at eiwa's that year

-humphrey competed at 132 soon after his sr year. being a tweener doesnt allow you to perform to the peak of your ability. if you arent wrestling at your optimum weight, your performance is going to be compromised. humphrey would have been better suited for a weight around 137-138 with the one hour weigh-in all season long.

I was wondering if that comment was just going to let slide.

I don't agree about comparing how they would do against common opponents, but really you never knew how Caldwell would do against Brent either. One time it's a t-fall the next he upsets him, so not really indicative of how they would do against common opponent. I pick Dake over either one, but could see either one of them getting a win over him, just not in the finals.

What are you talking about, Caldwell was 2-1 against metcalf, people forget th first time Caldwell and metcalf met, Caldwell decked him in 1:36. You beat a guy more than he beats you it's not an upset, and as NCAA record book has it, Caldwell is 2-0 vs metcalf.

Caldwell had one good event. He knew when to bow out and wanted no part of Dake a few years back- smart move.

this isn't close. Dake is number 1 over last 10 years, DC isn't even in top 10

1 good event, he made it to atleast QFs ever year he wrestled including his true fresh year? He beat our returning Olympic representative and metcalfs coach at wtt's trials and made team, all be it as alternate. The guy was a stud in making, he got hurt, it wasn't a case of he just got lucky, he was just starting to put it all together and reign in the wildness.

Serious question, are NJ posters / fans the most obsessively blind followers out there? Every time a NJ wrestler comes up, there is an immediate knee-jerk defense of them by the NJ crowd. Automatically, they are better.

Now, I know folks will bring up he who shall not be named (LIM) -- please don't. He is in another universe so I would point him out as an exception. Again, please please please don't bring him up.

--------------

On to the topic of the thread -- would have been an awesome bout but frankly, I think DT has all the tools and more that Caldwell has. If Dake handles DT, we'll have our answer RE DC.

That said, DC was awesome -- his finals victory had me screaming at the TV -- huge, huge.

Ok ignore nj folks, Zeke Jones said it as well, Caldwell was the best talent in college and the sky is the limit for him. That was our oly coaches words. That summer.

We'd probably get some better analysis if we could pretend that both Caldwell and Dake were from Jersey. Just kidding. Fact is, a 2009 Caldwell versus a 2012 Dake would be a very unpredictable match, partly because Caldwell himself was so unpredictable. He was lights out at the 2009 NCAA tournament, but did get smoked by Metcalf at the All Star meet. And then there's his performance at NCAAs in 2008. He gasses out and loses to Bubba, and then also drops a match to Churella to place 5th. And if we're going to bring up his performance at the 2009 WTT, where he beat Schwab (who I was not overly impressed with), as evidence of his greatness, then let's compare Caldwell and Dake in that respect. In 2009, Caldwell ended up 3rd on the ranking, behind Paulson and Frayer. This year Dake ended up 4th on the ladder, behind Burroughs, Howe, and Paulson. So not much difference between the two there, except that Burroughs is way better than anyone else in the World so nobody is touching him. Honestly, Caldwell is more a story of what could have been, and we have no way of knowing if he could have harnessed his 2009 NCAA finals greatness and sustained it long-term. With Dake, we know his track record over time. Sucks for Caldwell that he got hurt, but part of wrestling (and all sports) is avoiding injury, and some of that is just plain luck. Cael was extremely lucky never to get seriously hurt during his run. Most people aren't so fortunate. Caldwell had such a short time on top, nobody can say for sure if he'd give Dake in 2012 a run for his money or not. Caldwell's best match of all time was his beat down of Metcalf. But's that is only one match, and Metcalf is nothing like Dake. Metcalf was a good athlete, but not a great athlete. Dake would not be taken down with a headlock. In 2011, if Dake and Caldwell had wrestled, and had Caldwell been at his best 2009 form, I would favor Caldwell in that match. But against Dake in 2012-2013, I would favor Dake. Especially now that Dake has trained with Burroughs and many other top guys. But I wouldn't be shocked if Caldwell won. It would be an exciting match.

As a NJ guy, I think even a healthy DC would lose a tight one to Dake(but it would not suprise me if DC won).

I just find it funny that it seems like Dake does not get the respect he deserves. If he wins it this year, I get the feeling even next year posters will be saying "Dake was lucky so and so was not in his weight".

Stupid hypothetical.

Both athletes are lights out.

Some of you guys are forgetting that DC didn't have just a great tournament, but an outstanding year/career. All stats pre-injury below:

Jr Year pre-injury: 38-1 (injury default- his tf loss to Metcalf only ruled an exhibition), with 17 pins. OW of NCAA meet.

43 first period pins, 17 pins as a junior. His first period pin total alone matches Lee Kemp's former UW record for total career pins, to put any perspective on it.

27 pins as a sophomore.

10 pins as a freshman.

I don't have his post injury stats, but he was 146-4 in college, plus three NJ state titles.

Has defeated several NCAA champs, including Schlatter, O'Connor, Metcalf.

I'm not saying he would defeat Kyle Dake, but I'm not saying he would not. No basis for either argument.

We'd probably get some better analysis if we could pretend that both Caldwell and Dake were from Jersey.

So true. lol

The only thing that might make this more interesting is if Chris Christie would 'weigh-in'.

I expect Chris Christie would fit in just fine on this forum; in fact, maybe he already posts here ?

As a fan of both wrestlers, I think if Caldwell was healthy in Philly, he beats Dake. Dake, at that time, had shown that he could be beaten by kids that weren't of the same caliber as Caldwell. Now, a senior Dake against a senior healthy Caldwell, would be very close but I would give the edge to Dake because he is just so technically sound. Most of Caldwell's losses could be attributed to conditioning issues but Dake has also shown to struggle a little bit at times with conditioning.

I am not a Nj or NY fan but I think Caldwell was about as good as there was when he was on his game.