AnklePicker

Are Regional Training Centers an unfair advantage?

I think the idea behind the RTCs is a great one for our Olympic free and GR program and I know not every university with an RTC is an elite wrestling school, but it seems to me that this is a very strong recruiting tool for the schools that are selected. It also greatly benefits the athletes having such top notch training partners. Isn't this a very unfair advantage? I'm sure Every school would like the opportunity to become an RTC. How do you all feel about?

Agreed that it does provide better competition for the collegiate folkstyle athletes in the area but it also creates competition for the other coaches/universities from a recruiting standpoint.

Destin McCauley recently chose to stay at the OTC to train freestyle which brings a great practice partner but doesn't benefit any school in the area directly.

I disagree and think that they can provide an advantage. I have had my son to both Cornell and Penn State's and when you see the quality of kids working out there, it has to be an advantage. Cornell(Koll, Hahn, Wattenburg, Clark, Nickerson, Gray, Leen, etc) and Penn State(Sanderson, Cunningham, Varner, Umbehauer, etc). Not too mention the fact that the regular teams are there. Compare that with Bloomsburg, Edinboro, Penn, Binghamton, Buffalo, etc).

Any university can start a RTC, and they are self funded. Not unfair, but definitely an advantage to universities willing to do the work to start one.

advantage to any school with an alum willing to write a check to side step the coaching/academic limits imposed by the ncaa.

Not an advantage.

Every top program in the country has them because they care about USA Wrestling.

sarcastic?

Of course. Fact is it is a huge advantage. Regional grads still chasing their dreams working all the time with the team in "off" practices. Off campus recruits struggling to get in join the clubs that operate there until they get in. Grey shirt anyone?

USA wrestling gets membership money and club fees but how many are actually producing athletes seriously for world and Olympic teams??

Huge advantage and if it wasn't then guys like Brands, Koll, and Sanderson etal wouldn't invest their time in them.

olddirty, Any team can start one but they have to apply and be accepted and there are criteria.

They have to have a wrestling room, a coach/director with a necp card, and a schedule. USAW isnt turning universities down that want to start helping USAW succeed.

Are alumni who are willing to fork over money for a RTC giving an advantage? Alumni giving money is an advantage, whether there is an RTC or not.

Is it unfair that wrestlers at some schools regularly compete in front of thousands while wrestlers at other schools compete in obscurity? Is it unfair that some wrestlers are naturally better athletes or stronger than others, or more easily take to new techniques? Guess what, if Brock Lesnar was 5'7", encountered difficulty building muscle, was prone to obesity, and was uncoordinated, he never would have been a D1 national champ.

The bottom line is that sport is not fair, my friend.

So, to answer your question: No.

One of the worlds worst commonly used words is the word unfair. (In my opinion that is, and no need to list other words that are worst, I said one of the worlds worst)

Life is not unfair like the old saying goes. Sports are definitely not unfair. Regional Training Centers are also not unfair.

Life is fair, sports are a privileged, and RTCs are within the rules.

One of the worlds worst commonly used words is the word unfair. (In my opinion that is, and no need to list other words that are worst, I said one of the worlds worst)

Are tongue twisters unfair to those of us who can't read good?

Is it unfair that wrestlers at some schools regularly compete in front of thousands while wrestlers at other schools compete in obscurity? Is it unfair that some wrestlers are naturally better athletes or stronger than others, or more easily take to new techniques? Guess what, if Brock Lesnar was 5'7", encountered difficulty building muscle, was prone to obesity, and was uncoordinated, he never would have been a D1 national champ.

The bottom line is that sport is not fair, my friend.

So, to answer your question: No.

I thought Lesnar was way taller than 5'7"....

Well it finally appears the collegiate coaches have had enough of the RTCs. Only took them 7 years. I was wrong in my initial post in that any school CAN start one but as we’ve seen it’s much easier for some teams to establish RTCs therefore creating the uneven playing field I was talking about. 

The other issue is the added fundraising and logistic work placed on the coaches for no additional money. I hear Willie on flo telling guys like Cary Kolat and Brian Smith to just “work harder” and I smfh. 

IMO RTCs, great for international wrestling, bad for ncaa wrestling. 

Edited by AnklePicker

On 10/29/2012 at 2:22 PM, olddirty said:

Any university can start a RTC, and they are self funded. Not unfair, but definitely an advantage to universities willing to do the work to start one.

I was going to say pretty much exactly this.  Its an advantage, but its a developed advantage, not an unfair one.