AnklePicker

Are Regional Training Centers an unfair advantage?

13 minutes ago, osufan12 said:

No that was exactly my point. It is not about dollars. Some schools will always spend more on certain things. You can't fix that and probably shouldn't want too. If X school wants to spend their resources on wrestling or the chess club that shouldn't be a problem. However, the rules should be all the same for the competitor schools whether they are spending nothing or millions. 

With no NCAA oversight, not all the schools are playing by the same rules. Compliance departments ultimately control all of this. Since the NCAA hasn't gotten involved each school is left to interpret the RTCs in their own way. That leads to different sets of rules.

More oversight shouldn't be a problem with anyone really. 

I think the assumption schools are cheating or that the NCAA has no oversight are both too broad. The NCAA may not have regulatory oversight of RTC's, but they do have regulatory oversight of NCAA Institutions and their wrestling programs. The activity that has been alleged for years is that NCAA Wrestling Coaches are promising recruits big payoffs after they graduate in exchange for fewer scholarship dollars while undergrads. While the NCAA does not regulate the RTC that might pay the eventual post grad salary, they do regulate the activity allegedly being undertaken by as yet un named NCAA wrestling coaches as described above.

The power to regulate the alleged rule breakers is already in place, so the NCAA could enforce it if they had evidence. It appears that coaches who are close but not able to get over the hump are making allegations without any proof of wrong doing. 

Edited by TBar1977

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I think the assumption schools are cheating or that the NCAA has no oversight are both too broad. The NCAA may not have regulatory oversight of RTC's, but they do have regulatory oversight of NCAA Institutions and their wrestling programs. The activity that has been alleged for years is that NCAA Wrestling Coaches are promising recruits big payoffs after they graduate in exchange for fewer scholarship dollars while undergrads. While the NCAA does not regulate the RTC that might pay the eventual post grad salary, they do regulate the activity allegedly being undertaken by as yet un named NCAA wrestling coaches as described above.

The power to regulate the alleged rule breakers is already in place, so the NCAA could enforce it if they had evidence. It appears that coaches who are close but not able to get over the hump are making allegations without any proof of wrong doing. 

Agreed 100%. It is an NCAA issue. That is why I would hope the NCAA would come to the table before the coaches decide to burn the whole system to the ground. Has the NCAA every said anything about RTCs? There are a lot of things that RTCs allow that are blatant NCAA rule violations. Have wrestling coaches been give the green light by the NCAA on this stuff? Or are they in the position where they "hope" the NCAA doesn't care. I honestly don't know and am asking. 

6 minutes ago, osufan12 said:

Agreed 100%. It is an NCAA issue. That is why I would hope the NCAA would come to the table before the coaches decide to burn the whole system to the ground. Has the NCAA every said anything about RTCs? There are a lot of things that RTCs allow that are blatant NCAA rule violations. Have wrestling coaches been give the green light by the NCAA on this stuff? Or are they in the position where they "hope" the NCAA doesn't care. I honestly don't know and am asking. 

I have no idea.