Sign in to follow this  
Matburn155

"Turn Clock"

Just an idea , but what do you guys think about implementing a "turn clock" to encourage more action on the mat in folkstyle? Here is my proposal: As soon as the wrestlers hit the ground they have a certain amount of time to turn a person. If they are able to get a 1 count or even if the bottom wrestler rolls through a turn (or of course if they get back points), then the clock resets and they continue to wrestle on the mat. If the "turn clock" hits zero without any of the aforementioned happening (or the bottom man gets a reversal), then they are put back on their feet with neither wrestler being awarded any points.

This would take the referee out of it and encourage action from both wrestlers, since they only have a certain amount of time to get back points, or escape/reversal for the bottom man.

on the flip side someone who is really good on their feet is going to stall like no other to ride out the clock to save the one point. competition has changed and it takes a special talent on top to turn guys consistently. it is silly to change the sport to try to artificially create action.

Or the bottom guy just does nothing except keep from getting turned knowing that he will get back to his feet without the threat of giving up a ride time point. Will look a lot like freestyle. You can lock hands and do a gut in freestyle and how many turns from par terre to you see there?

I think people underestimate how hard it is to turn a good opponent. It doesn't just happen and when it does, many times it happens late in a period/match after the top guy has had time to grind on his opponent to get him to a point where he can be turned.

I was going to post this in the "shot clock" thread, but I didn't want to hijack it. People are constantly complaining about wrestlers riding an ankle for 3 periods and not attempting turns....And then there are the people who complain about bottom man not moving when they are wrestling a David Taylor.

To be honest I love college wrestling the way it is, which is why I usually don't make remarks or enter discussions about "so and so did nothing on top (or bottom) the entire match". I was just shooting an idea out there for the ones that do debate these issues. The ideal solution IMO is to keep everything like it is but get the refs to change. If we could just have refs collectively go back to the way they called matches in the late 80's-early 90's, with a few changes (no quick stalemates to allow for scrambles, etc), I think wrestling would be perfect. They weren't afraid to call stalling in the first period....and then they weren't afraid to hit you again 10 seconds later if you continued.