Sign in to follow this  
scrambler

HANDS DOWN THE TOUGHEST WEIGHT???

I am sure this topic has been beat to death, but i wanted to see the thoughts of everyone now that we are near the end of the season and the conference tournaments are just weeks away.

What is the toughtest weight this year and why?

hwt wrestling skill is awful. look at tasser's results. he is in a tough position because pitt is good 174-197, but he is 15-7 at 285. coon looked good to me until I watched him wrestle tasser. his wrestling skill is mediocre. this is made up for by his size. tasser is probably the best wrestler at 285, he only weighs-in at 205 though. a bunch of mediocre wrestling skills doesn't translate to toughest weight. I might agree on 285 being the most competitive, but not the toughest. i'll take 125, 133, 157, and 174 in the conversation in no particular order.

2 NCAA champs. Too many AA placements to count. Top 6-7 guys could all beat each other any given day. Although the top 2 are a little above, they are not out of reach.

Has depth in talent, with arguably the best or second best pound-for-pound guy this year, as well as breadth of talent.

I agree with scribe. Hwt is loaded. I think, there are 8 athletes, a hiccup apart from each other, and all potential NCAA champs.

Next, I would put 174. I think there are 6 wrestlers, an escape separates them- whomever has the good day(s), wins the title.

Then 149, 157, & 197 all about equally tough, 5 potential winners here.

125 and 133- lots of great wrestlers, but 4 stand out to win.

141 and 184- same here, but with 3 standing out.

165.....the competition, will be for 2nd here.

Toughest - 174. Definitely. You got Howe, Perry and Brown who have all seen the National Finals, and then you got Storley, Kokesh and Evans who have all shown that they can beat these guys on the right day.

157 and 197 are going to be the most fun to watch I think, though. Lot of depth up top at these weights, but more up for grabs than 174.

Every weight except for 165 is pretty much a dogfight. It's gonna be a fun weekend this year! Especially with the expanded ESPN coverage!

I agree with scribe. Hwt is loaded. I think, there are 8 athletes, a hiccup apart from each other, and all potential NCAA champs.

Next, I would put 174. I think there are 6 wrestlers, an escape separates them- whomever has the good day(s), wins the title.

Spot on analysis by the man with two brains.

I see what you're saying, but I disagree with the premise that a weigh classes "toughness" can be measured by number of potential winners. 149 and 197 both like relatively weak weight classes to me. I think the reason these weight classes are s competitive is because there are no true studs separating themselves from the pack (Possible exception of Houdashelt). When you look at 125 or 141, both of these weight classes have 3 guys who will will absolutely maul mid level competition (Clark may add himself to this group). Whoever gets third at either of these weight classes may be better in a p4p sense than the winner of 197. Those to me are the stacked weight classes. 174 is also stacked in my view and has the best depth of any division.

I am sure this topic has been beat to death, but i wanted to see the thoughts of everyone now that we are near the end of the season and the conference tournaments are just weeks away.

What is the toughtest weight this year and why?

133 has 8 returning AAs

Why does it not surprise me a penn st fan would bag on a 2x champ from another team?

Why does it not surprise me you continue to be the biggest crybaby on this site? Maybe you are a closet PSU fan? Or is it you are still upset Cornell choked a few years ago?

Why does it not surprise me a penn st fan would bag on a 2x champ from another team?

Why does it not surprise me you continue to be the biggest crybaby on this site? Maybe you are a closet PSU fan? Or is it you are still upset Cornell choked a few years ago?

Penn State was the better team that year. What you just said is the equivalent of if I were to say that Oklahoma State "choked" last year, or Iowa State "choked" in 2007.